8gb or 16gb

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got the 16gb to reduce my need for having a wifi connection all the time. I have a 16gb iPad 2 right now and it's quite annoying having to decide which apps/games you want to delete in order to make room for a movie or tv show (my wife likes to use it to watch in the car). I had seriously thought about just getting the 8 gb (as that is alli really NEED), but decided to go 16 for less hassle. :)

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who apparently hasn't realized how awesome google drive is and wants additional storage go on amazon.com and look up wifi hard drives. There are very small ones that can give you 32gb or even 64gb. Seagate makes a larger one that can do 500 gb

Google Drive or any other "cloud" space are convienient and have their place.

Quite frustrating when you can't find or just can't seem to be able to connect to Starbucks or McD's free wifi.

Stream some video to your tab during your next car trip to Mom's, K? Kids will love it. I'll just plug in a microSD usb drive (32GB with 12 full length movies and 6 hours of music)

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got the 16gb to reduce my need for having a wifi connection all the time. I have a 16gb iPad 2 right now and it's quite annoying having to decide which apps/games you want to delete in order to make room for a movie or tv show (my wife likes to use it to watch in the car). I had seriously thought about just getting the 8 gb (as that is alli really NEED), but decided to go 16 for less hassle. :)

Bingo, bango, boingo!

++++

quinnsdaddy11

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Google Drive or any other "cloud" space are convienient and have their place.

Quite frustrating when you can't find or just can't seem to be able to connect to Starbucks or McD's free wifi.

Stream some video to your tab during your next car trip to Mom's, K? Kids will love it. I'll just plug in a microSD usb drive (32GB with 12 full length movies and 6 hours of music)

Why do you need 6 hours of music and 12 full length movies (avg 90 min in length 18 hrs of video) for a car right? Why not figure out how long the car ride is and put a few mixed cds plus a movie or two?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Why do you need 6 hours of music and 12 full length movies (avg 90 min in length 18 hrs of video) for a car right? Why not figure out how long the car ride is and put a few mixed cds plus a movie or two?

Why do you think that uninstalling some apps, deleting/re-adding mp3's and mp4's is better than not having to go through that by having multiple usb microSD's with all of it together?

The only thing I have to figure out is which one to plug in.

Some phone apps now are 25-30MB or more. You think tablet apps won't exceed that by double or more? You want to keep moving data, apps, media files around all the time? Why, so the world knows you have cloud storage and can get them WHEN you have wifi? And when you don't you just live without them.....

My stuff is not out in the "clouds" somewhere. There right here in my folio case with my Nexus 7. I'll live without surfing the net until I get to McD's or Starbucks. In the meantime, I continue to be productive.

So, you're going to tether so you don't have to worry about wifi? Better have unlimited or at least multi GB data plan or that will get expensive in a hurry, you'll be bringing stuff down from the clouds a lot. I will tether only occasionally, like when I need to send a file to a co-worker that can't get a connection to get to their cloud, so they call me to send a copy to their phone. Happened more than once.

Different perspectives. Cloud computing works for you for most things. It works for me only in a limited way, and only on occasion (rare).

Different strokes for different folks.

But I like the discussions and debate on it. LOL.

michael13162

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Some phone apps now are 25-30MB or more. You think tablet apps won't exceed that by double or more? You want to keep moving data, apps, media files around all the time? Why, so the world knows you have cloud storage and can get them WHEN you have wifi? And when you don't you just live without them.....

Actually some games require 2gb of free data. (NOVA 3 and some Tegra THD) I attribute this to just how much content are in some games.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to storage, the more the merrier.

Very true.. but that's only for heavy users. My dad has tb and had only used 2gb on the sD card lol. And I have a 16gb iPad ( don't judge me lol) and I've only used 3gb if that. But I don't mind carrying around a external drive. I carry a north face sprout pack . So everything is all good for the 8gb for me

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree more however within reason. If they are charging $50 for 8 gb that is where I draw the line. That is very Apple-esque (aka Evil)

Oh my lord! Evil? LOL. No, that's business. If $50 is really that much difference, you probably should stick to buying a use nook b&w off craigslist. That $199 probably put a pinch on ya.

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
i Went for the 16GB. i have a Kindle Fire which I am going to give to my neices and was about to go out and get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 2, mostly for the storage, but I thought about it, and I never even used up the 8GB on the Fire. I never take my Tablet out and it's always on wifi. Still, I figured It would be a good ideal to go with the bigger storage as I may actually get into downloading more apps now on the Nexus 7 seeing as I will now have access to the Google Play store and not just the Amazon App store. I also figured I could just DL the Amazon Store and Kindle Apps.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I went with the 16GB just for some extra storage room, but still even at 16GB the price is good, I paid this for my girlfriend's Nook color, (reader not the Nook Tablet) it's not even really a full Android Tablet and it only has about 8GB. I am assuming someone will come up with a hack or mod for USB OTG anyway sometime in the future:)

lswim80

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I went with 8GB because the tablet is designed to serve as my middle-size device. I will use the Nexus when I don't want to whip out my Macbook Pro and my phone isn't big enough. Really for me, I plan to stream most of my media anyways. 16GB wasn't enough space to have the media I wanted. I simply decided I would go streaming instead. :p

dportal2006

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I went with the 16 gb. I couple years ago i bought an 8gb ipod touch and quickly regretted not buying the 16gb. Remember with the 8gb version you can only use about 6gb. In todays age of hd videos and high megapixel pictures that is not a lot.

FMCharon

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I opted for the 16 because of the lack of an SD slot and, since this is smaller, I may actually use it to listen to music on the go. I can' do that easily with my giant 10-inch Toshiba Thrive. It annoys me that it apparently only costs them about $8 more to install 16GB instead of 8GB, but they charge $50 more. But what can you do? Instead of later bonking myself in the head because I ran out of memory, I'll forget within a week that I slightly overpaid for as much memory as possible. I hope they ship it soon.