Able to Use External USB Devices

stevepike

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I loaded Nexus Media importer and used a OTG cable. When I downloaded music files (WMA) to a USB flash drive PowerAMP would not find the files. However the same files loaded directly on the Nexus 7 were able to be played. Don't know how to get PowerAmp to recognizre the usb files.

losl

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Send a request email to the app developer asking for adding a mine type (WMA in your case) as default to the app. then "Nexus Media Importer" will recognize the music files.

Good luck !

SLo

mnor

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Nexus Media importer now supports NFTS format. I have a 300G seagate go external drive (NFTS) loaded with movies and they play great. The drive is small enough to fit in my Nexus case (TUCANO) pocket so able to carry everything I need to watch movies.

hbquikcomjamesl

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
This is just a cable, male-microUSB to female-USB, and has nothing to do with host mode.

Actually, it's not "just" a cable, and it has everything to do with switching the USB port into host mode:

A full-size USB cable has 4 pins. A micro-USB cable has 5. One of those pins is open for a normal cable, but grounded for OTG.

A Nexus 7 does indeed support OTG. Even without adding an app, if you plug in an OTG cable, then a USB mouse, a mouse pointer will immediately appear on the screen, and respond to the mouse. Likewise, if you plug in a USB keyboard, the tablet will recognize and respond to it as well.

The rub is that it won't, straight out of the box, recognize and mount storage devices. But the $3 app that "Dixie Wrecked" referred to, "Nexus Media Importer" (the developer also has a free app that just views pictures) will recognize and mount storage devices, rather nicely (albeit as read-only devices).

Or you can root the tablet, and use more advanced apps.

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
OK I'm trying to connect a micro USB keyboard to my Nexus 7. I'm using an USB adapter to attach to the keyboard but nothing is happening. I've tried a couple of different working cables, including the Asus one supplied with the device, and the keyboard worked fine with my previous tablet. Is the adapter the problem?

Hoping one of you fellow Nexus 7 fans can help... ;o)

~Jaqi~
Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
OK I'm trying to connect a micro USB keyboard to my Nexus 7. .... Is the adapter the problem?

it would seem likely. I used a USBtoGO cable (from Amazon) plugged in to the Nexus 7 and just plugged a standard small keyboard into the female adapter. It worked fine without any additional software / settings / hardware required.

A good way to tell if the USB device is attached correctly is if you boot with the keyboard/mouse/etc attached, the boot process will flash the LEDs on the device while booting just like a PC does. In the case of the keyboard, your caps lock, etc keys will flash on and then off on boot. If NO flash, the N7 does not 'see' it.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried this yet, but there is an app that claims you can use a flash drive or SD card with it (no root),

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...er&feature=more_from_developer&token=Iq2jrNAb

Yes, the Nexus Media Importer app does work without rooting and it works with the new 4.2 update. Just make sure the device is on, then plug the OTG cable into the device and then plug your SD card/ adapter into the OTG cable.

This will also work on my Xoom LTE as well. I have heard of people using this for portable hard drives, but mine will not work.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't tried this yet, but there is an app that claims you can use a flash drive or SD card with it (no root),

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...er&feature=more_from_developer&token=Iq2jrNAb

Yes, the Nexus Media Importer app does work without rooting and it works with the new 4.2 update. Just make sure the device is on, then plug the OTG cable into the device and then plug your SD card/ adapter into the OTG cable.

This will also work on my Xoom LTE as well. I have heard of people using this for portable hard drives, but mine will not work.

amigacomputer

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
nexus media installer app works with this type of cable with a flash stick or a card reader; but will not store apps on external memory units on my old nexus 7