Flash support in 4.1+

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

So it just hit me...If Google's going to start shipping Chrome as the only browser on 4.1, that means no more flash by default. What do you guys think about that?

I have an iPad and while for the vast majority of the time the lack of Flash doesn't bother me, there's still those times where I get really frustrated and grab my GNex to access flash content.

I suppose I can always download Firefox or some other 3rd party Flash enabled browser...but I generally like to stick with Google's apps=/ Plus who knows how long the other browsers will continue to support it now that no major mobile OS ships with Flash capable browsers by default.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I just really wish the rest of the Internet would catch up... Just today I couldn't watch an embedded video on Engadget on my iPad because it was flash. Also couldn't stream the I/O live stream from freaking Google!

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I got accustomed to using chrome and not having flash. Its not essential for me but I know for some it is. I am happy using chrome without flash now.

Sent from my HTC One X

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the rest of the internet needs to catch up if this is the way of the future. HTML5 is supposed to where all mobile platforms are headed and if so, then ALL websites need to be headed in that direction as well, or the mobile experience will feel like t did back when we were all using windows phones. What I enjoy about my mobile devices today is that my phone is an extension of the internet. Everything I could do at home on my laptop I was able to do from my phone, but that is diminishing....which seems as if we are moving in reverse...

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the rest of the internet needs to catch up if this is the way of the future. HTML5 is supposed to where all mobile platforms are headed and if so, then ALL websites need to be headed in that direction as well, or the mobile experience will feel like t did back when we were all using windows phones. What I enjoy about my mobile devices today is that my phone is an extension of the internet. Everything I could do at home on my laptop I was able to do from my phone, but that is diminishing....which seems as if we are moving in reverse...

It's moving in the direction of html5. I work for a successful web development company in los Angeles and we are pushing all our new clients to let us develop in html5 over flash. We'll get there

Sent from my Galaxy S3

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I preordered the Nexus 7 for many reasons, but the biggest reason was to use FF to run the amazon.com full site and watch my amazon prime instant videos. If flash has any serious issues runnning on 4.1 then I'll be out of luck. I highly doubt amazon is going to update their player to html5 either, considering the site is mainly aimed at desktop/laptop computers and they already have their own tablet for AIV, the Fire.

So for my situation specifically, amazon either needs to switch to html5 or open up the Instant Video app to other devices. Both are unlikely to happen anytime soon. :-\

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The new Firefox for Android has functioning Flash.

I preordered the Nexus 7 for many reasons, but the biggest reason was to use FF to run the amazon.com full site and watch my amazon prime instant videos. If flash has any serious issues runnning on 4.1 then I'll be out of luck. I highly doubt amazon is going to update their player to html5 either, considering the site is mainly aimed at desktop/laptop computers and they already have their own tablet for AIV, the Fire.

So for my situation specifically, amazon either needs to switch to html5 or open up the Instant Video app to other devices. Both are unlikely to happen anytime soon. :-\

Problem is Adobe won't support it in 4.1+. Even if FF supports it, if there's ever anything buggy or broken, there will never be a fix.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Problem is Adobe won't support it in 4.1+. Even if FF supports it, if there's ever anything buggy or broken, there will never be a fix.

Well, let's hope support in FF or others can buy enough time for more content to shift towards HTML5.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been an iOS user for years & have never needed flash. It's not needed. I don't miss it at all. Every major site I have gone to works just fine.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Engadget and the Google I/O livestream aren't considered major for you then?

I didn't watch directly from their site, watched through the twit live app. But their site has the recorded video, which leads me to believe they may have had a version of the site that also works on iOS, as most sites do.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't watch directly from their site, watched through the twit live app. But their site has the recorded video, which leads me to believe they may have had a version of the site that also works on iOS, as most sites do.

Nope, I tried accessing via the developer.google.com page as well as the YouTube page, no go. It was not available via the mobile YouTube view either. The point here is that there are either limitations that have yet to be sorted out or that the process of actually fixing them has been...put on the back burner. Yes, dropping Flash support entirely should help things along, but it's still shocking to me that Google and Engadget of all places would continue to embed Flash-only video.

Believe me, I use an iPad, Chrome for mobile and even have Flashblock installed on the desktop...I'm no fan of Flash. But in a pinch, I like that my Android phone was always there=/

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I tried accessing via the developer.google.com page as well as the YouTube page, no go. It was not available via the mobile YouTube view either. The point here is that there are either limitations that have yet to be sorted out or that the process of actually fixing them has been...put on the back burner. Yes, dropping Flash support entirely should help things along, but it's still shocking to me that Google and Engadget of all places would continue to embed Flash-only video.

Believe me, I use an iPad, Chrome for mobile and even have Flashblock installed on the desktop...I'm no fan of Flash. But in a pinch, I like that my Android phone was always there=/

Ok. Are we talking about streaming the conference?

Other than streaming that specific conference, I can get all types of non-flash video as you can see in my screenshots.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Are we talking about streaming the conference?

Other than streaming that specific conference, I can get all types of non-flash video as you can see in my screenshots.

Oh yeah...I wanted to watch live. I know you can access it in other formats later...but that ruins the fun.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah...I wanted to watch live. I know you can access it in other formats later...but that ruins the fun.

Ok I got ya. Like I said, I watched through the twit live app because I wanted to hear their commentary. I agree, not the same excitement afterwards.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Adobe is effectively killing off its Flash Player browser plug-in for Android. The current version of Flash will be removed from the Google Play store on August 15th. As previously announced, Adobe won't develop a version for Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), and the current version of Flash - if it works at all - won't be supported by Adobe on Android 4.1. Users can only maintain a certified installation of Flash - including future security updates - if they have a device that came with Flash pre-installed and do not update to Android 4.1. Users who download the Flash Player themselves from Google Play before August 15 technically have an "non-certified" installation, but may continue to receive security updates as long as they don't upgrade to Android 4.1. The news is no surprise, as Adobe announced over seven months ago that it was halting development of Flash Player for mobile devices. The company promised to continue releasing security fixes, however, and one such update was just released earlier this month. Adobe has refocused its mobile efforts on Adobe AIR and HTML5.

drrazvi

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Never had a tablet before, considering buying this one. My main purpose for getting a tablet is so that I can easily track Fantasy Football statistics on the go. Any of you familiar with Yahoo's fantasy "Stattracker" knows its a great tool, that unfortunately runs on Flash. I don't know if Yahoo has any plans to change the stattracker to a more mobile friendly format or not.

My basic question is: Would the nexus 7 be able to run flash AT ALL (using a different browser)? Or would I be better off buying a slightly older tablet running ICS and just not update to JB? Im looking to spend <250 on a tablet. Any advice is appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax