Nexus 7 or... Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ?

MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I may go Nexus, but root it. I don't like the way Jellybean is presented on the 7 inch screen, reminds me of a giant phone. I'd rather have the action bar or whatever it was on Honeycomb/ICS.

Hi.

Can you please explain the difference?

Can't you just tilt the screen sideways in order to change it into landscape mode?

I've noticed a couple people say that the OS is like the cell phone version, but I am not sure what the difference is. Thanks!

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

Can you please explain the difference?

Can't you just tilt the screen sideways in order to change it into landscape mode?

I've noticed a couple people say that the OS is like the cell phone version, but I am not sure what the difference is. Thanks!

No. On the Nexus 7, the tablet layout is gone. You can go into landscape once you're in an app, but other then that you're stuck in portrait. If the tablet layout had been kept, you could go into landscape. Also, it would be something to differentiate from the phone UI.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I have no doubt that Samsung's next $250 Android tablet will have quad-core and still retain
the microSD slot. It may even have a better or equal screen as the Nexus 7.

If that's the case, I'd stick with the Samsung just for the microSD card slot alone.

My 32GB microSD slot is always filled to maximum capacity and I sometimes
carry with a spare 32GB card filled with movies and music. I fly on 14-hour
flights frequently... about once every 3 to 4 weeks, so having a small tablet
with enough movies to kill time is very important to me. Even a 16GB
Nexus 7 will not be enough storage.... there is no Wi-Fi on those long flights...
for domestic flights, the onboard wi-fi fees are just ridiculous.... :)

Reactions: Downtown Taco

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If your a business traveller w/ 14+ hour flights, wouldn't you have a laptop that could hold all the movies you need then pull them off when you need? Or even a little USB passport drive? Would that not work with the n7?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with the nexus. I was in a staples the other day and played with a galaxy tab 2 7.0 and the asus pad 300( which uses same processor as nexus) and man it was night and day difference between the two. Touchwiz really slowed down the galaxy tab compared to the asus and I am sure the nexus will be even smoother since it has the latest android version and no skin at all. Plus you will always have updates first with the nexus tablet.

jtskier11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Tab......... Needless to say I dropped that thing like a bad habit. I was more impressed with the rooted Nook I had. Plus Samsungs updates, or rather lack thereof, drove me away from ever buying anything Samsung phone/tablet related again. Oh yea, and TouchWiz is stupid. I ordered 2 of the Nexus Tabs as soon as it was humanly possible.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If your a business traveller w/ 14+ hour flights, wouldn't you have a laptop that could hold all the movies you need then pull them off when you need? Or even a little USB passport drive? Would that not work with the n7?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Sadly USB-OTG will not support native storage initially. Other devices like keyboards and usb-2-ethernet will be. We will have to wait for dev communitiy or google to come out with an update for that.

If this thing sells well without it, don't count on google, count on devs to come up with it.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they had it loaded with too much junk, but I played with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 on Best Buy yesterday and the thing was way too laggy. It would literally take over a second to recognize taps and swipes. I don't see how anybody would want to buy that, regardless of what storage protocols it supports...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Sadly USB-OTG will not support native storage initially. Other devices like keyboards and usb-2-ethernet will be. We will have to wait for dev communitiy or google to come out with an update for that.

If this thing sells well without it, don't count on google, count on devs to come up with it.

Google might not even support it. They're really promoting the cloud based entertainment and such.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they had it loaded with too much junk, but I played with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 on Best Buy yesterday and the thing was way too laggy. It would literally take over a second to recognize taps and swipes. I don't see how anybody would want to buy that, regardless of what storage protocols it supports...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Store models are usually really laggy so I understand that...

circleinsidebox

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Store models are usually really laggy so I understand that...

I just sold mine for $200 after spending $270 with tax from office depot. Mine had lag and sometimes
killing all my apps didn't solve my issue, I ended up having to reboot.

The IR blaster was a cool feature that I used quite often but
the tablet's unpredictable lag more often than desired finally forced me to sell...

I was coming from the original (first model) Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it was like night/day
from experience. (LOVED my 10.1) Tab 2.0 7inch gets a big two thumbs down from me.

The only upper hand the any other tablet has over the Nexus 7 is the rear camera....I think you need
to focus on that because 4.1 untouched will blow layered (touch wiz) Android away on any device.
Do you want/need a rear camera? Yes (any tablet with one) No (Nexus 7)

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I just sold mine for $200 after spending $270 with tax from office depot. Mine had lag and sometimes
killing all my apps didn't solve my issue, I ended up having to reboot.

The IR blaster was a cool feature that I used quite often but
the tablet's unpredictable lag more often than desired finally forced me to sell...

I was coming from the original (first model) Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it was like night/day
from experience. (LOVED my 10.1) Tab 2.0 7inch gets a big two thumbs down from me.

The only upper hand the any other tablet has over the Nexus 7 is the rear camera....I think you need
to focus on that because 4.1 untouched will blow layered (touch wiz) Android away on any device.
Do you want/need a rear camera? Yes (any tablet with one) No (Nexus 7)

Using my 8MP Rezound rear camers, don't need another on the Nexus 7. Front good for wifi video chat via skype or maybe yahoo IM or AIM.

markyoung04

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just bought an open box Galaxy 2.7 for my son and it is nice, but the screen does not impress as much as I wanted it to - I read a lot, watch movies, and play games of course as well as some <cough cough> work, so I am leaning towards the 16gb - with 25.00 credit that will actually help a bunch. From every review I can get my hands on the screen is amazing and that will help with the reading. If they just put a SD slot it would be a no brainer.

MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing to consider between the two of these devices is that the Galaxy Tab 2 7" can be bought for $250 even, no tax or shipping cost from Amazon.

The Nexus 7 cost me $228* for the 8Gb model and it would have cost me almost $282* for the 16Gb.

I'm still happy that I returned the Tab 2 and have a Nexus 7 on the way, but I figured I would throw out those extra costs since they do make a significant difference in the price.

* These numbers are dependent on your state sales tax.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
One thing to consider between the two of these devices is that the Galaxy Tab 2 7" can be bought for $250 even, no tax or shipping cost from Amazon.

The Nexus 7 cost me $228* for the 8Gb model and it would have cost me almost $282* for the 16Gb.

I'm still happy that I returned the Tab 2 and have a Nexus 7 on the way, but I figured I would throw out those extra costs since they do make a significant difference in the price.

Remember.... it's true that Amazon doesn't collect the sales tax for the majority of states.
You are supposed to report and pay directly to your state on your tax returns.(depending
on which states your reside in....) :) Most people don't bother, but it can come back and
bite you in the [rear end]. I'm not a CPA and I do not offer legal and/orfinancial advice.
However, I did share a bed with a CPA for 6 and half year before she got too psycho. :D)
(but still a darn good CPA as of today)

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
N7 only because of the screen. If GT2 7, the GT7 Plus is a better choice as it has better specs and can be found at a lower price if you shop around. And it is suppose to get ICS in August. I bought my GT7 Plus 32gb for $200 at Frys a few months back.

I haven't had problems with lag but text on the screen definitely reflects the lower resolution. If I was buying one today, I would get the Nexus 7. But generally, the Galaxy Tab is a great tab as well. My transformer hardly gets used anymore because the 7 inch form factor is so much better for what it's used for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

My pre-order with shipping shows $270 and change. $20 is not enough for me to go Gtab, personally. Hardware alone make the Nexus 7 worth more than that.

But you can bet that Samsungs Gtab 3 will match or better those specs, but can they do it at the same price point?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech