Nexus 7 or... Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ?

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am actually debating between the two. I like quad cores, but I may not need that much power. I'm a general consumer, I won't be rooting. But I can't make up my mind between these two... help me please :confused:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there's any doubt that you should go with the Nexus 7. The only real advantage you have with the Galaxy Tab 2 is that you have expandable storage. I really like the fact that the Nexus 7 will receive updates extremely quickly straight from Google. I don't really need one, but at that price I couldn't pass up the 8GB model.

Reactions: Downtown Taco

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there's any doubt that you should go with the Nexus 7. The only real advantage you have with the Galaxy Tab 2 is that you have expandable storage. I really like the fact that the Nexus 7 will receive updates extremely quickly straight from Google. I don't really need one, but at that price I couldn't pass up the 8GB model.

+1

The Nexus 7 is so inexpensive I really had no excuse to buy Google's tablet this time around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I may go Nexus, but root it. I don't like the way Jellybean is presented on the 7 inch screen, reminds me of a giant phone. I'd rather have the action bar or whatever it was on Honeycomb/ICS.

mrweatherbee

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I'm guessing I would prefer higher resolution display and speedier processor on the Nexus 7, but a few things weigh in favor of the Galaxy Tab

MicroSD expansion - on 8GB device with Android OS, you only have about half that available for storage. 2 movies from Google Play available offline filled my Tab. So having 16GB in microSD allows me to store a mess of movies and music. For travel, I can watch movies, etc., where cloud-based media would be impossible (or $15 per trip over in-flight WiFi)

GPS - I don't use it a lot, but when traveling I tether to my iPhone as a personal hotspot and you can't beat Google Navigation on 7 inch display. Quite nice.

Rear facing camera - yep, I'm one of those people who takes pictures with a tablet. Much more often than I use the front facing camera, in fact. Also nice for augmented reality apps, etc.

IR port - only just started playing with the Peel app and the IR port, but it now genuinely replaces my Logitech smart remote.

Sometimes app transition could be a little speedier, but in-apps I have no complaints with dual core on the Tab, games and Netflix run just fine, nothing else taxes it.

So, no buyer's remorse from me. If I was buying one today I might go with the Nexus 7 just because I'm a cheapskate, but I don't regret dropping an extra $50 on my Tab 2.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I'm guessing I would prefer higher resolution display and speedier processor on the Nexus 7, but a few things weigh in favor of the Galaxy Tab

MicroSD expansion - on 8GB device with Android OS, you only have about half that available for storage. 2 movies from Google Play available offline filled my Tab. So having 16GB in microSD allows me to store a mess of movies and music. For travel, I can watch movies, etc., where cloud-based media would be impossible (or $15 per trip over in-flight WiFi)

GPS - I don't use it a lot, but when traveling I tether to my iPhone as a personal hotspot and you can't beat Google Navigation on 7 inch display. Quite nice.

Rear facing camera - yep, I'm one of those people who takes pictures with a tablet. Much more often than I use the front facing camera, in fact. Also nice for augmented reality apps, etc.

IR port - only just started playing with the Peel app and the IR port, but it now genuinely replaces my Logitech smart remote.

Sometimes app transition could be a little speedier, but in-apps I have no complaints with dual core on the Tab, games and Netflix run just fine, nothing else taxes it.

So, no buyer's remorse from me. If I was buying one today I might go with the Nexus 7 just because I'm a cheapskate, but I don't regret dropping an extra $50 on my Tab 2.
good post but I believe that the nexus 7 also has gps.

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The nexus tablet would be best and it should always get the latest updates being a Google device. Plus if you are a consumer type the Google play store is integral to the n7 user experience in my opinion. I've rooted all my android devices (including a Asus transformer that my son virtually commandeered from the wife :p) but this is the first one I'm getting that I probably won't root.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Android Central Forums

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

It's the IR blaster that has me interested. Can you explain your home setup? I'm very confused, I don't know what is compatible with Peel. I know my Sony Bravia is, but that's it.

And what about lag? So you have very little...sounds good.

Your explanation has been one of the best so far and I thank you. Now all I have to do is finish raising the money (I'm a kid, it's tough in this economy) to purchase one of these... :banghead:

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The nexus tablet would be best and it should always get the latest updates being a Google device. Plus if you are a consumer type the Google play store is integral to the n7 user experience in my opinion. I've rooted all my android devices (including a Asus transformer that my son virtually commandeered from the wife :p) but this is the first one I'm getting that I probably won't root.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Android Central Forums

This is all true. I want to be up to date, and I want to really stand out from my iOS obsessed friends. This Nexus really seems better than their iPads, and it's different. Performance is great (quad cores :3) and has amazing integration with Google Play. The Tab 2 stands out pretty well, but to most might just be "another android tablet."
Maybe I should wait to try both out...

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If Google put their name on it, you can bet it will be supported better and longer. Wouldn't surprise me if this will be 4G carrier network on the next iteration.

Phone with 7" screen ya say? Think it's possible. Rear facing camera would have been nice but I've always thought people that take pics/vids with tablets were a little...um well, yah. meh.

I have 8MP on my Rezound for that if I need. The front facing will make skype and maybe yahoo messenger good for video chat.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
It's the IR blaster that has me interested. Can you explain your home setup? I'm very confused, I don't know what is compatible with Peel. I know my Sony Bravia is, but that's it.

And what about lag? So you have very little...sounds good.

Your explanation has been one of the best so far and I thank you. Now all I have to do is finish raising the money (I'm a kid, it's tough in this economy) to purchase one of these... :banghead:

ha ha poor kid .... someone told you it gets easier when you get older:D

you dont get more money just more credit:cool:

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 for sure. Cheaper, and it doesn't have that god-awful TouchWiz overlay.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

crow11ad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
See I'm on the fence about this too. I just got my galaxys3 32 gig form Sprint and added a 64 gig card. But something about a pure Google tablet. Plus you get $25.00 free Google play money and Transformers Darkside of the Moon free. It's google and cheaper than a laptop and quad cores....so preordering the Nexus.

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm personally on the fence between the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and the Nexus 7. I can get the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus for $251.86, so the cost difference is negligible. My current hangups are:

1) I just have yet to see anyone verify Nexus 7 can handle USB mass storage wich I know the GT7+ can do.

2) I'm unsure of the phone style layout of the Nexus 7 versus the Honeycomb (soon to be ICS) tablet interface on the GT7+.

3) The lack of MHL/HDMI output may not be something that I use often, but I wish the Nexus 7 had it.

In all likelihood I'll probably end up getting the Nexus 7, but I'm still on the fence.

Mungus9999

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Currently I own GT tab 2 7.0. Totally functional. nice size .After my journey to Iceland , ill sell it for the Nexus

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Currently I own GT tab 2 7.0. Totally functional. nice size .After my journey to Iceland , ill sell it for the Nexus

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

I have tried out the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 a couple times, and it just feels laggy compared to the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and my previous tablet, the Motorola Xoom.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Tab 2 7.0 from Best Buy. I had to wait a good amount of time for a sales rep to get me one so they took $50 bucks off the price. Got it for $199.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have tried out the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 a couple times, and it just feels laggy compared to the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and my previous tablet, the Motorola Xoom.

Where did you try the Tab? If it was a store model I understand the lag XD
The main thing about this decision is I would like a tablet layout and not a phone UI, but if I had to I could go without.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes