Nexus 7 or... Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ?

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Im not a fan of Samsung tablets. I have used two and both were slow. I just got bothered by the lag on them. Got rid of them and am in the market for something else. Probably nexus 7. Price is too good to beat. That tab plus my laptop is all I need.

Sent from my HTC One X

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus blows the tab out of the water. As long as you don't get a faulty one (calm down people, that can happened with early batches) the Nexus is better in every possible way but storage. And that's easily fixable with a 5 dollar 1/2 inch external micro SD slot. It's so tiny it's not even noticeable, and you'll probably only need it when out of signal range. After showing off my nexus to my Samsung fanboy buddy and playing with his Samsung tab 2, even he agreed, the Samsung feels cheap in comparison. The Nexus really feels like a much more expensive device that it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

HeshamAboElMagd

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
How about the lack of support for 3G connectivity at the Nexus 7 considering that there're times when there will be no WiFi connection ready . i believe that GT27 3G edition better in this area not to mention that SD support of course .

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
How about the lack of support for 3G connectivity at the Nexus 7 considering that there're times when there will be no WiFi connection ready . i believe that GT27 3G edition better in this area not to mention that SD support of course .

For some this could very well be a legitamte reason to NOT get the Nexus 7. Personally, I have a Galaxy Nexus that I can tether from if I need internet access while I'm out. When I'm at home and at work I have access to wi-fi. I also have access to the Cable wi-fi network since I have cable internet via Brighthouse (Time Warner). CableWiFi? | Internet access brought to consumers through a collaboration among U.S. Internet service providers.

If you don't have readily available internet connections like I do it would then be a better idea to go with something with embedded 3/4 G, otherwise the N7 is a great way to go.

ABJUNKMAN

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have both but, have yet to play with the Nex 7 till I get back home next month. Wiffy has been playing with it though and has already said it's now hers..Ha! I like the card slot on the Samsung and the ability to work with all my other Samsung stuff. I know about the memory solution to the Nex 7 with use of a thumb drive but now you have to carry that around with you as well unlike the Sam 7. Will give a better review once or "IF" I get my hands on the Nex 7...:} Cheers!

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't say in not biased because I ended up buying the Nexus 7, but comparing the build quality of the Nexus 7 to the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0,the Nexus 7 seems to have a better build quality. Also, I comparing the screens I think the Nexus' blows the GT out of the water. Then there's the matter of the processor, and you got a faster processor in the Nexus which will lead to a better overall experience in my opinion. This is because of the reduction in lag you'll see with the quad core processor. Because the Nexus us a Nexus, you'll see a lot more dev support when it comes to ROMs and stuff. Since they're at the same price point, it seems that the Nexus is more bang for your buck. But then again its your own opinion, you might feel opposed to what I hae to say, but that's just my two cents.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't say in not biased because I ended up buying the Nexus 7, but comparing the build quality of the Nexus 7 to the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0,the Nexus 7 seems to have a better build quality. Also, I comparing the screens I think the Nexus' blows the GT out of the water. Then there's the matter of the processor, and you got a faster processor in the Nexus which will lead to a better overall experience in my opinion. This is because of the reduction in lag you'll see with the quad core processor. Because the Nexus us a Nexus, you'll see a lot more dev support when it comes to ROMs and stuff. Since they're at the same price point, it seems that the Nexus is more bang for your buck. But then again its your own opinion, you might feel opposed to what I hae to say, but that's just my two cents.

I think I'll just wait until the second batch is out. I want a solid built Nexus 7.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

brux

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
ha ha poor kid .... someone told you it gets easier when you get older:D

you dont get more money just more credit:cool:

But don't get too much credit until you've got yourself a good career that isn't keeping you hopping from one job to another. Trust me. Experienced in that field. ;)

brux

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm personally on the fence between the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and the Nexus 7. I can get the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus for $251.86, so the cost difference is negligible. My current hangups are:

1) I just have yet to see anyone verify Nexus 7 can handle USB mass storage wich I know the GT7+ can do.

2) I'm unsure of the phone style layout of the Nexus 7 versus the Honeycomb (soon to be ICS) tablet interface on the GT7+.

3) The lack of MHL/HDMI output may not be something that I use often, but I wish the Nexus 7 had it.

In all likelihood I'll probably end up getting the Nexus 7, but I'm still on the fence.

I have the exact same hangups, and still leaning towards the 7 (primarily because it's the latest and greatest with better technology/support).

My biggest hangup though is the lack of a rear facing camera. I'm a single dad and like taking videos and photos of/with my daughter and letting her watch them at that very moment. I just thought it would be cool to let her do that on the tablet as well instead of having to reach for my phone and switching. I just wanted it to do everything my phone can do, but it's not that big of a deal.

But, I've been convincing myself this...

Nexus 7 16gb
Microsoft Surface Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Note II (if Sprint carries it)

That will do everything I need. :)

Later,
brux

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Im kinda bothered by it too. The number of screen issues seems to be growing.

You really need to put this in perspective. How many on this site have the screen issue compared to how many on this site have the Nexus 7, compared to how many Nexus 7's have been sold in the 1st month.

I had no problems with the screen at all and have 5 co-workers that also bought pre-order from Google.

None have the issue. So 6 out of 6 is batting a thousand for the people I personally know that bought the Nexus 7, vs people on a Forum site I don't know that have the issue.

If you're that worried, pick one up in store, open the box and inspect it before you make the final purchase.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Im kinda bothered by it too. The number of screen issues seems to be growing.

I have the exact same hangups, and still leaning towards the 7 (primarily because it's the latest and greatest with better technology/support).

My biggest hangup though is the lack of a rear facing camera. I'm a single dad and like taking videos and photos of/with my daughter and letting her watch them at that very moment. I just thought it would be cool to let her do that on the tablet as well instead of having to reach for my phone and switching. I just wanted it to do everything my phone can do, but it's not that big of a deal.

But, I've been convincing myself this...

Nexus 7 16gb
Microsoft Surface Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Note II (if Sprint carries it)

That will do everything I need. :)

Later,
brux

As far as the rear camera...ever watch someone take pictures or vids with a tablet of any size. Looks totally geek and "hey look at me and my tab!" ish.. :D

I have an 8MP rear camera on my HTC Rezound and the pics and vids are terrific. Don't need it on my tab. With wifi only, gonna need to carry around my 4G with it all the time anyway.

Reactions: Downtown Taco

Kingfrog

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Those choices don't seem to jive for me. Both are Android 7" tabs, but the Nexus 7 has far better specs and Jelly Bean.

Can't understand why someone would even have a reason to consider Sammy on this one.

I know there are reasons, but they aren't valid for me.

I actually ordered a Nexus.... and When I read of the 4.2 BT stack issues on the Nexus I cancelled my order..... Google "Nexus 4.2 BT issues',,,,

Nexus 7 with 4.2 - Bluetooth issues - xda-developers

Issue 40802 - android - 4.2.1 Bluetooth Studder - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Android 4.2 on Nexus 7 has broken Bluetooth, users complain | CNET UK

Does your Nexus 7 lag after the 4.2 update? There’s a fix for that | TalkAndroid.com

I am glad I gave the TA a second look as when I decided how I was going to use it and more importantly, how I wasn't. The additional horse power meant less to me than being able to access all my content on a 64gb SD Card. I don't game on my phone and do not expect to on the Tab. The lag is there on the TAB I played with but I had a Captivate back in the say, and anything seems like lightning compared to that, My Note 1 ran much better on JB as well SO I expect the Tab will and there are plenty of ROMS to choose from. A little stutter now and then is fine. I am not OCD about that kind of thing.

The Screen looks good enough and since I do root my devices out of the box the choice between the plain jane Google Vanilla AKOP ROMS on Nexus, and TW ROMS is nice to have. Samsung has some great apps and the Touch Wiz is covered up pretty good with Nova launcher. . The front VGA camera is a downer but I don;t use Skype much and I have the Note 2 for that and all photo ops.

The kicker is I am looking at the P3100 International version which will allow me to swap my SIM card out and use it as a phone if necessary for $100 more and no additional charge from ATT. The Nexus is nice but it's advantages don't apply to my primary use where the TAB does.

That is my reason for leaning toward the Galaxy Tab 2 7 (and the BT issues on the Nexus is a non starter)

If I decide to buy the US version and dispense with the Phone/3G features, still the TAB's SD card expansion is still something I prefer. I do not use the cloud except Photobucket for backup and I don;t expect to use the camera much on the TAB, Google backs up all my music files, Amazon all my books, drop Box some docs and Software, All is available on local 64 plus 16 GB storage.

Memory cards are far less expensive than cloud storage. Except for Photobucket all other storage is free. I even have 50GB unused on Drop Box since flashing a JB ROM in my now sold Note 1.

So for my use it would seen the Tab 2 7 is the better choice, Although I probably should wait until after AES to see what may be on the street in Feb,

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have seen the Tab 2 7.0 for $150 brand new at Microcenter.

That is a closeout though and when they're gone they're gone.

Even so, it's not hard to find them new for $180

Cameron Vandevander

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, you cant forget the quality of the tablets build. It is not hard to tell after holding both tablets the galaxy is much better when it comes to build quality. As odd as it may seem, the galaxy tab comes with more choices. The galaxy tab comes in three colors and a choice between Wi-Fi and a verizon data plan. To accompany that the Samsung tablet comes with the Samsung market. While I still tend to only use google play, every time I open Samsung's market I end up downloading something. The nexus has a quad core processor wich unless you know you will be rooting will never be necessary. The difference between the resolutions of the tabs is almost unnoticable and you can update your samsung to have jellybean. Overall, I would rather have the galaxy tab wich I do

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you cant forget the quality of the tablets build. It is not hard to tell after holding both tablets the galaxy is much better when it comes to build quality. As odd as it may seem, the galaxy tab comes with more choices. The galaxy tab comes in three colors and a choice between Wi-Fi and a verizon data plan. To accompany that the Samsung tablet comes with the Samsung market. While I still tend to only use google play, every time I open Samsung's market I end up downloading something. The nexus has a quad core processor wich unless you know you will be rooting will never be necessary. The difference between the resolutions of the tabs is almost unnoticable and you can update your samsung to have jellybean. Overall, I would rather have the galaxy tab wich I do

- - - Updated - - -

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
We have both-my husband has the Galaxy Tab 2. I vastly prefer my Nexus-it's faster, lighter, gets updates quicker and the screen is better.

Alex Pearsall

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 Will get key lime pie when its released before Samsung. Samsung's support for devices only last like 3 months they always want you to buy the new thing they have. It took them 10 months to get ics to the tab 10.1:D:D
I love my nexus 7 never will not love it! Nexus 7 beats the tab 2 with quad core which most new tablets are going to have. Then the tab people are going to feel owned and the SD doesn't matter with Google drive and drop box which you can put apps on!

Alex Pearsall

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 Will get key lime pie when its released before Samsung. Samsung's support for devices only last like 3 months they always want you to buy the new thing they have. It took them 10 months to get ics to the tab 10.1:D:D
I love my nexus 7 never will not love it! Nexus 7 beats the tab 2 with quad core which most new tablets are going to have. Then the tab people are going to feel owned and the SD doesn't matter with Google drive and drop box which you can put apps on!