Will sales ban on SGN effect N7?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It seems from day one with GN with ICS would see touble with apple and now we have the preliminary sales ban on the GN. Does this preliminary ban mean all GN in US can not be sold?(Verizon, Sprint,Best Buy, Google Play Store...etc?) This preliminary ban is on the feature to access the camera from lock screen right? Hopefully this does not effect the N7 but it has what seems to be the same or similar lock-screen feature on ISC as well so will it to be banned in all eventuality? I wonder where Google stands in all of this?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I am terrified of this possibility. Jellybean and ICS have very similar lock screens... If that's the ruling, what's stopping Apple from getting an injunction against potentially the most explosive Android tablet of all time?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am terrified of this possibility. Jellybean and ICS have very similar lock screens... If that's the ruling, what's stopping Apple from getting an injunction against potentially the most explosive Android tablet of all time?

Well the patent that actually ban the GN was:

"As patent lawsuit guru Florian Mueller found, the clincher for the ban was the patent on unified search that's linked to Siri. Although Judge Koh is inclined to believe Apple's view regarding all four patents, that search patent is the one whose violation would reportedly merit more than a slap on the wrist. She's similarly convinced that Apple's patents are legitimate and likely won't be dismissed anytime soon."Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus in the US (update: search patent the key) -- Engadget

So the N7 looks safe for now....hopefully.

Reactions: luke31

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
God I hope so... I really don't want this to become a repeat of the HTC EVO LTE fiasco.

In the end my real question is where does google stand in all of this? They have been very quite in all of these patent wars and wonder if they feel or legal don't have the right to say or defend there partners in these wars. Is all this silence from google just to stay away from bad press? Will they continue stay silence or there hands just tied when it coms to GN will they still be passive if N7 is effect?

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't get how the ban is even related to the Galaxy Nexus.

Siri voice command being similar to S Voice =/= Galaxy Nexus

WTF?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
That judge was either paid off or is an itard, either way its complete bs

But don't you know that Apple is spotless and makes premium products while Google is the poor man's OS? Complete sarcasm of course, but people's absolute ignorance is really annoying. It seems Apple is the one that has to play catch up but are too lazy to do so, so they just litigate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how the ban is even related to the Galaxy Nexus.

Siri voice command being similar to S Voice =/= Galaxy Nexus

WTF?

Actually the unified search they're talking about is not just on voice but on search from multiple sources...essentially the "strong" patent they're asserting revolves around the quick search box feature. Given that it's featured prominently on the stock home screen, and with Google Now in the fray as a major feature of JB, I'm sure if Apple wanted to they could get a ban on the N7 based on that alone. It'd be a major blow to Google if they had to remove any semblance of unified search from Android (they are, after all, a search business).

The other patents (linkify, lockscreen, etc.) are weak enough that I think they are more likely to be thrown out but Judge Koh apparently saw enough of a case for those to go to trial.

So, yes, this whole charade will more than likely affect the N7 and also any Android device out there. Let's just hope Judge Koh comes to her senses (or the jury at trial will see enough differentation from the patents in question) to relieve Samsung (and in effect, Google) of any infringement.

I hate software patents with a passion, especially when they're used to enforce product bans.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually the unified search they're talking about is not just on voice but on search from multiple sources...essentially the "strong" patent they're asserting revolves around the quick search box feature. Given that it's featured prominently on the stock home screen, and with Google Now in the fray as a major feature of JB, I'm sure if Apple wanted to they could get a ban on the N7 based on that alone. It'd be a major blow to Google if they had to remove any semblance of unified search from Android (they are, after all, a search business).

Quick search box? What is it specifically wrong with the quick search box? I am a little lost.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Even further solidifies why I'll never support apple with my wallet. I have the N7 and Sg3 on pre-order. I'm hoping this judge goes on vacation for the next 3 weeks so I can get my toys!

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick search box? What is it specifically wrong with the quick search box? I am a little lost.

The unified search queries results from multiple sources...which the quick search box does essentially. Its also what Siri does also...in a way. Since Siri is such a major feature for Apple and quick search has been a major feature for Google, Apple is arguing that the fact its a core feature of Android will cause "irreparable harm" to sales of the iPhone which have been touting Siri as a main feature.

Its really kind of messed up since the patent in question had nothing to do with Siri but relates more to a desktop feature. Perhaps someone can correct my assessment on that but that's what I think is happening.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The whole thing is BS if you ask me. You can see apple does not want to license out the patents and wants an all out ban, clearly they are scared of android since with IOS6 isn't much compared to what google is doing and apple knows this. Otherwise they would license them out like MS did and make $$ off of each android device. Plus the galaxy nexus took months to get banned apple would have to file a new claim which would take awhile if it did get approved to take effect so hopefully we are good for now. Google should just start sending the tablets out now to people to prevent any possible issues.

jtskier11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Im just thoroughly sick of Apples repeated tactics to take down anything that might dethrone the almighty and beloved iPhone. Hopefully one day soon the iMasses will realize their iLife doesnt have to revolve around iTunes....... And get a new dam phone!

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The unified search queries results from multiple sources...which the quick search box does essentially. Its also what Siri does also...in a way. Since Siri is such a major feature for Apple and quick search has been a major feature for Google, Apple is arguing that the fact its a core feature of Android will cause "irreparable harm" to sales of the iPhone which have been touting Siri as a main feature.

Its really kind of messed up since the patent in question had nothing to do with Siri but relates more to a desktop feature. Perhaps someone can correct my assessment on that but that's what I think is happening.

So are we talking about in google search widget that's been with Android from day one? Sorry I understand the logic but can't picture actual feature that is in questioned because what I am imaging is nothing new. Which makes me wonder why now is anyone being sued for it?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google should just start sending the tablets .

Only if Google was actually ready to release the tablet earlier if not I would not want unfinished product to be sent out for people to flag unfinished. Now on the other hand if google was found to be head of schedule and decided to send N7 earlier then I am all for it. :cool:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So are we talking about in google search widget that's been with Android from day one? Sorry I understand the logic but can't picture actual feature that is in questioned because what I am imaging is nothing new. Which makes me wonder why now is anyone being sued for it?

Yes, the widget in the home screen and I believe the resulting screen that pops up when you use it.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the widget in the home screen and I believe the resulting screen that pops up when you use it.

Why did apple step in when the orginal G1 came out? What's make GN so special and all other android devices be exception to this lawsuit?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae