Tablet Totals and Nexus Purpose

ThePShot

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So for those of you getting a Nexus7 to complement your other devices, what do you have and how are you fitting this in? (I figured this would be a good distracting from all the OMG WHERE IS IT posts)

I am primarily an iOS User and Developer, but have always maintained an interest in Android. Back when Froyo and Gingerbread were new I invested in an HTC Evo from Sprint (off contract) and a nook color. The Evo is gone, but the nook is happily running cm9. I also managed to get one of those $99 TouchPads, which is also running cm9.

I don't like how Android runs on the nook or TP though. The Nexus7 is going to finally be my stable and up-to-date Android device. I am hoping to use it to start porting some of my iOS projects over to Android. Time to learn how to be cross-platform!

The very first thing I plan to do with my Nexus7 is root it and modify it to get the TabletUI instead of the big PhoneUI.

Other devices I have are... iPad2 and iPad3, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, and AppleTV Gen2

Reactions: richard_rsp

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
My only other tablet is an 1st gen iPad. I also own a 2nd gen Kindle. (I'm not really the type to upgrade often in case you couldn't tell). The iPad will hang around, mainly because my girlfriend likes to use it in the kitchen for view recipes and/or watching Netflix while cooking and I use it to track my DVD collection via an app. The Nexus is going to become my primary tablet, although I'll still do the bulk of my daytime reading on the Kindle. I have a feeling the smaller size of the Nexus is going to appeal to me much better than the bulky, somewhat heavy feel of the iPad.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
[Thank you for giving me something else to talk about instead of the Nexus 7 release date!! I'm going insane!]

I am former webOS-ian, now an iOS user, who is looking to "learn Android", specifically JellyBean. I usually dont bother with jailbreaking/rooting, so it's more to learn the stock benefits vs the issues.

I currently have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. I have been wanting a 7" tablet to carry around to work, etc, since my iPad is too big, and my iPhone screen is too small. I have made several attempts at "trying" Android OS (and other OSs) through buying (and returning/selling) tablets, such as:

HP Touchpad
Galaxy Tab (Vzw)
HTC Evo View 4G (Sprint)
Galaxy Tab Plus (T-mobile and Wifi)
Motorola Xyboard 8.2 (Vzw)
New iPad (Vzw) [to replace the iPad2 - returned due to not worth the money]

I also tried out a Motorola Droid RAZR, but quickly went back to iPhone and bought a Galaxy Player 5.0 to "play" with. Problem is: In all previous 7"-8.2" tablets (and especially the RAZR phone), I havent been as happy as I had hoped with Android (Gingerbread or Honeycomb). I am really hoping to see that change with the Nexus 7 / Jelly Bean. I really have no allegiance to either Android or iOS, but am currently on iOS because it has given me the best overall experience, so far. But I am open to change.

I figure if nothing else, $199 is a small price to pay (vs $$$ plus a 2 year contract) to learn Jelly Bean and see if I want to switch to Android or stay with iOS when my phone contract is up in December.

Last edited: