Nexus 7 Play Store Customer Service - Or Lack thereof

highfrequency

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The sky is falling i didn't get it first !!!!! hahaha

are people really that hard pressed to have your Nexus 7. Is it going to dramatically improve your life that much you cant wait for the device. This thread is hilarious.

ok. Continue to run circles cause your device hasn't shipped.

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The sky is falling i didn't get it first !!!!! hahaha

are people really that hard pressed to have your Nexus 7. Is it going to dramatically improve your life that much you cant wait for the device. This thread is hilarious.

ok. Continue to run circles cause your device hasn't shipped.

Whatever dude.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
And the moral of reading this is that you don't understand how launched work. Again Gamestop getting product early has NO BEARING on when pre-orders ship

I'm not even upset about early. Maybe I was wrong but I came away with the impression that Play customers were the only ones getting the $25 credit. In my books, that made up for paying ~$22 in shipping costs.

Now I find out, I could've paid $22 less by buying from Gamestop. So what exactly is the point of patronizing Google Play?

The shipping early is added salt on the wound.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
@otherbot

I suggest you tweet your displeasure @Google.

This seems to be the only thing that compels companies to appreciate their customers: public embarrasment.

Enough tweets and the tune will change pretty quickly.

Reactions: otherbot

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You had to wait 40 minutes people a ton of people are calling with the exact same question because they can't wait for the initial launch window to pass.
Those people are calling because Google won't put a meaningful status on the https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../play.google.com/store/account&token=hUHEninM page. My order has been "Complete" for weeks but we know that doesn't actually mean they completed the order process and shipped it 2 weeks ago. A meaningful status would have gone a long way toward reducing call volume.

Personally, I haven't called them, and now I have no reason to call. I scored a nexus 7 locally and didn't have to pay shipping charges. Google can take their sweet time now, because whenever they finally ship, I simply won't sign for the package.

No anger. Simply a logical course of action based on the facts of the situation.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Why do they need Google's go ahead when they have an agreement with Asus. An agreement that Google agrees they have.

An agreement that a single rep told you that they had. And if EVERY OTHER STORE honored google's "request" obviously there's some weight behind it.

But that's ok, we'll just ignore that because we want to throw a temper tantrum and scream for free things.

highfrequency

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
beat_dead_horse2.jpg

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
An agreement that a single rep told you that they had. And if EVERY OTHER STORE honored google's "request" obviously there's some weight behind it.

But that's ok, we'll just ignore that because we want to throw a temper tantrum and scream for free things.

Are you implying that the Google rep wasn't being truthful? That might serve to make my "poor customer service" argument. Maybe he needed better communication from his superiors. Maybe you should answer the phones for Google and call everybody stupid and say they have no point. You would be a great customer service rep.

Maybe the other stores didn't already have an agreement with Asus. Gamestop might have just been smart enough to work one out when they started to carry the Asus tablets. Maybe they worked out an agreement when the tablet was announced as the Asus Memo. Maybe Google already knew about the agreement and is just being shady and trying to make it look like it was Gamestop that was unethical.

Maybe neither you or I know for sure and shouldn't be acting like we do.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Are you implying that the Google rep wasn't being truthful? That might serve to make my "poor customer service" argument. Maybe he needed better communication from his superiors. Maybe you should answer the phones for Google and call everybody stupid and say they have no point. You would be a great customer service rep.

Maybe the other stores didn't already have an agreement with Asus. Gamestop might have just been smart enough to work one out when they started to carry the Asus tablets. Maybe they worked out an agreement when the tablet was announced as the Asus Memo. Maybe Google already knew about the agreement and is just being shady and trying to make it look like it was Gamestop that was unethical.
That rep could be telling the truth, to the best of their knowledge. The problem is, again, that this whole thing went from breaking story to official response in the matter of hours. The rep you spoke with could be relaying information he JUST received, or what he heard in the office from other call-center reps.

When a story breaks like this (outside a companies control) there's an issue getting the correct information down to the frontline, the customer facing employees because there's not a "quick" process to do this. Most information is passed down using a structured pattern that must be bypassed for things like this. Again, since this is Google's FIRST time doing this, it's not surprising that they didn't have a fast, accurate, info pipeline.

Just ask anyone who works for a carrier. Often sites like this will break news before the reps know what's coming because sites get tipped by people much higher in the hierarchy.

Google's announced NOTHING officially about the gamestop issue. So all we have to go on is what you heard from a single (more than likely flustered) rep answering the same question for the 2-dozenth time in the past hour.

And I'm not calling you stupid, I'm saying that your understanding of retail is incomplete, or "Most people are stupid when it comes to how retail works." the same way that my friend who works on cars calls me an idiot when I ask questions about my engine.

Maybe neither you or I know for sure and shouldn't be acting like we do.

Difference is, I'm saying we should hold the company to their own timeline. You're the one implying that Google owes us something for not controlling a company they don't own (Gamestop)

highfrequency

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not hearing the part where it says that Gamestop can't release it on 7/13.

That Post had nothing to do with Game Stop.

My point was Google said what they said and delivered on it verbatim. Orders placed in the Google play store will ship mid july and they are period.

I cant help you placed your pre order @ google store and not game stop.

Did you make the assumption that play store customers would get them first? I saw this movie one time with a quote i loved. "Assumption is the mother of all f**kups"

Under Siege 2 i believe...... not better than the first Under Siege IMO

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
That rep could be telling the truth, to the best of their knowledge. The problem is, again, that this whole thing went from breaking story to official response in the matter of hours. The rep you spoke with could be relaying information he JUST received, or what he heard in the office from other call-center reps.

When a story breaks like this (outside a companies control) there's an issue getting the correct information down to the frontline, the customer facing employees because there's not a "quick" process to do this. Most information is passed down using a structured pattern that must be bypassed for things like this. Again, since this is Google's FIRST time doing this, it's not surprising that they didn't have a fast, accurate, info pipeline.

Just ask anyone who works for a carrier. Often sites like this will break news before the reps know what's coming because sites get tipped by people much higher in the hierarchy.

Google's announced NOTHING officially about the gamestop issue. So all we have to go on is what you heard from a single (more than likely flustered) rep answering the same question for the 2-dozenth time in the past hour.

And I'm not calling you stupid, I'm saying that your understanding of retail is incomplete, or "Most people are stupid when it comes to how retail works." the same way that my friend who works on cars calls me an idiot when I ask questions about my engine.

Difference is, I'm saying we should hold the company to their own timeline. You're the one implying that Google owes us something for not controlling a company they don't own (Gamestop)

Alright. Well I feel like we are getting closer to agreeing somewhere here. I'm agree about the timeline. I have not heard you yet recognize that Google has some serious issues with this launch. When a story breaks outside of a company's control, if you work at that company, I would hope you would think it's an opportunity to do something better. My suggestion is pick a solid release date and announce it before a single device gets to anybody's doorstep. I think that the "Gamestop is shady argument" would hold more weight if Google had announced a date. Just as your argument holds weight about me pre-ordering without one. I get that.

For the last week it has been all over the internet about when will they release. I pose that Google loved it to hype their product and hopefully get more people to be interested in it when it is released. I also say that there is a cost for this plan. As dtdlurch put it,

"...Google is keeping their "promise" exactly, while other retailers are essentially over-delivering and exceeding expectations. Intentional or not, Google set the expectation. Its their product. But, they are the last to get it out it seems."

Whether it is right or wrong to view a verbatim promise as a fail - the truth is that is how some companies can get screwed up. By perception. You must know that perception is a huge factor in a companies success.

I didn't expect a personal email, but I will tell about another email I got from another company. I ordered a shirt from shirtpunch.com. They were new and compared to TeeFury, they were pretty slow. A very long time went by. I emailed them and they sent me a canned response that completely and logically explained this issue. More importantly, they made me feel like it was okay that I was upset and they wanted me to know they cared. I asked for nothing free. I got nothing free and I still buy from them because of the respectful communication that made me feel valued. A recorded message or a quote from a keynote about mid-some month doesn't. If it does for you, that is great. I'm happy for you. I really am. It didn't do it for me.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I want to include the shirtpunch message so you can see why I did not appreciate the communication as delivered by Google.

"Thank you. To our customers, friends and supporters, thank you. You have no idea what your support has done for ShirtPunch. Now, it?s our turn to repay that support and fix everything that isn?t up to par, to improve delivery times, and to be the company that focuses on what is most important.

When we launched ShirtPunch last October we didn?t know what to expect. We?re not the only players in the game, and the bar has been set at an incredible height. We had every angle covered, we had thought through every single problem, and we had backup plans for just about everything?but then it happened. A community started to emerge. You started sharing us with your family and friends, they started sharing us, and things started to grow at a rate we had not anticipated.

Immediately we recognized a problem. The current printers we were working with had started falling behind with no ability to catch up. They didn?t have the manpower, the space, or the resources to take us to the next level, and so in December we switched to our second printers. We thought we had found the answer to our problems but 2 months in they started to fall behind as the orders grew, and they too were unable to catch up. We have now settled with one of Toronto?s leading print companies. Not only can they handle our current orders but also they can expand and grow with us. We?ve now worked out the kinks and have an ironclad schedule in place to bring our turnaround time to less than 7 days. They also happen to make the best t-shirts we?ve ever seen.

With the shirt problem solved, we needed to move to our second major problem, shipping. Shipping is the Achilles heel of ShirtPunch.

In Canada, we don?t have the same mail options as the rest of the world. Sure, we have FedEx and UPS, but the problem is that because of Canada?s size they only offer premium rates (nothing below $15). We simply couldn?t put a $15 shipping price on a $10 shirt. Our only option was Canada Post.

Canada Post is a great company. They?ve worked hard with us and have given us every discount possible to bring your shipping cost down, but this also means we?re using standard service. No air travel, no tracking number, no bells or whistles. Standard service is very slow but add to that the border crossings, and you can see how days turn into weeks, and sometimes even well over a month.

A solution has been found! We?re currently in talks with several shipping companies who are all competing to bring in the best possible service. Faster delivery times (ten days to your door is our new mantra!), tracking numbers for every purchase, and shipping/order confirmations, will all be included!

This won?t happen overnight. This means a rebuild of the entire site (thus allowing us to fix EVERY problem you?ve encountered), better lines of communication, and product guarantees. We?re committed to making these improvements and re-launching a stronger, faster website this summer! Until our new site is launched, we will remain committed to providing you with the highest quality product and the best designs/designers in the world.

We can?t begin to thank you enough for your support and your patience. You?ve made us into what we could only dream, and it?s time we return the favor.

Sincerely,

-Russ

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you make the assumption that play store customers would get them first? I saw this movie one time with a quote i loved. "Assumption is the mother of all f**kups"

Under Siege 2 i believe...... not better than the first Under Siege IMO

No. At the time that I pre-ordered it, it was not available anywhere else. I had been waiting for this product since Asus announced it in January. I was aware of almost everything about it and suffered through the initial wait as it was delayed when Google wanted it too.

I was afraid that it would sell out quickly and I wanted to get it ASAP - as most first adopters do.

I had no idea it would be available through any other channel. While it may seem obvious now, it wasn't totally out of the question either. I know they are very different, but Kindle is at Amazon only. Rather than risk a miss, I pre-ordered early. Lesson learned. I'm simply saying that I - and others - are in the same boat of regretting going through Play. I think there are plenty of valid points on both sides and plenty of invalid points. I'm tired and don't care anymore. Something I would guess is not the intended feeling Google wants early adopters to have.

As for the Gamestop comment, you're right. I did mother of all f**kups assume you agreed with Jason on everything based on one of your comments. I apologize.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Alright. Well I feel like we are getting closer to agreeing somewhere here. I'm agree about the timeline. I have not heard you yet recognize that Google has some serious issues with this launch. When a story breaks outside of a company's control, if you work at that company, I would hope you would think it's an opportunity to do something better. My suggestion is pick a solid release date and announce it before a single device gets to anybody's doorstep. I think that the "Gamestop is shady argument" would hold more weight if Google had announced a date. Just as your argument holds weight about me pre-ordering without one. I get that.

For the last week it has been all over the internet about when will they release. I pose that Google loved it to hype their product and hopefully get more people to be interested in it when it is released. I also say that there is a cost for this plan. As dtdlurch put it,

"...Google is keeping their "promise" exactly, while other retailers are essentially over-delivering and exceeding expectations. Intentional or not, Google set the expectation. Its their product. But, they are the last to get it out it seems."

Whether it is right or wrong to view a verbatim promise as a fail - the truth is that is how some companies can get screwed up. By perception. You must know that perception is a huge factor in a companies success.

I didn't expect a personal email, but I will tell about another email I got from another company. I ordered a shirt from shirtpunch.com. They were new and compared to TeeFury, they were pretty slow. A very long time went by. I emailed them and they sent me a canned response that completely and logically explained this issue. More importantly, they made me feel like it was okay that I was upset and they wanted me to know they cared. I asked for nothing free. I got nothing free and I still buy from them because of the respectful communication that made me feel valued. A recorded message or a quote from a keynote about mid-some month doesn't. If it does for you, that is great. I'm happy for you. I really am. It didn't do it for me.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I want to include the shirtpunch message so you can see why I did not appreciate the communication as delivered by Google.

But you received that email when? How late was the shipping? That's the distinction, the launch for the Nexus 7 is not late. In fact, it's shipping now, right on time. I've pre-ordered dozens of things in the past. how it works is I order it, I get a confirmation, and then I get another confirmation when it ships. considering they are just starting to ship them, that last confirmation shouldn't be out yet. Why should they send you an email apologizing for a delay when there was no delay, when they are sending it EXACTLY when they said they would?

Yes, a lot of companies underpromise and over-deliver. Google didn't do that, and I agree that perception means a lot to make or break a company. But you also have to realize that maybe 20% of the people who pre-ordered will find out about the gamestop issue before they find out their orders are shipping, and of that, only a fraction will complain, and of those, only a fraction will do anything about that.

Compare that to the other scenario. Say they say "we'll have them in stores starting July 11th" and this delay happened. Now you have everyone aware of the delay (because an email would be sent out) you have a HUGE perception that google can't deliver as promised. Maybe we see things differently, but I see Google giving a timeframe and nailing that timeframe as under-promising and over-delivering.

Look at the Galaxy Nexus launch on Verizon, or the Thunderbolt, or (insert device now) where there was a perceived delay on a timeframe of three months. Google HIT the timeframe of three WEEKS.

For all we know, that "we're sorry" email could still come from Google. I don't think it will considering they've hit every target they said they would, but they may do it since their call-center got overwhelmed. But they could also be confused as to why people are upset. It's like someone telling you they will give you a cookie, they give you a cookie, and you get mad because someone else got a cookie AND a smiley face from someone else.

Where did google set an expectation other than the one they are delivering on? That's what I don't get about your argument. You say Google owes us some sort of explanation why why they dared to do exactly what they told us they would do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781