Nexus 7 initial impressions

G3TCASHM0N3Y

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey all you lucky people who picked up your nexus today! Mind sharing some of your impressions with us? I would rather hear it from another normal consumer than another media YouTube video review personally.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Very first impressions after owning it for all of a couple hours...

It feels more expensive than it was. Absolutely love how it feels in the hand, though it's heavier than I expected. Not as light as the Nook Color, for example. The back is perfect... feels like leather, and I'm one who put Zagg leather on the back of my iPad. So I love that. Will be great if they also come out with some sort of magnetic cover. We'll see. Until then, it will remain naked.

Screen doesn't grab you like my iPad3. In fact, it's rather underwhelming. Color saturation is bland, and the auto-brightness is too dim.

Was surprised to see a dock at the bottom, rather than how the rest of the tablets handle screen real estate. Installed Apex Pro, and there are some quirks when I quickly tried to set it up, so I went back to the stock launcher for now.

Some non-tablet apps like Facebook and Words with Friends aren't as awful in the 7-inch display, but the text can get tiny. Speaking of tiny text, I'm not sure I'll get used to reading a magazine on this size screen. My eyes aren't that good. And will require lots of pinching and zooming.

I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly which is available on the "Next Issue" app. The app installed, but promptly crashes.

Speed and smoothness of JB is crazy good. The Chrome browsing experience feels much faster than the iPad. First portable device where the browser feels almost laptop speedy. For me, that's my biggest gripe about any tablet and may be the biggest reason that this device may stay for me.

Best feature in my book is that it charges with a standard micro-USB. Great, great, great. I have a 2 amp charger that I use for most everything and it charges this tablet well without the need for another cable and odd connector.

I have to pack tonight for a trip and get some sleep for a long drive tomorrow, so it's a bad time to be tempted to play with this. :)

Jury is out on whether this causes me to sell my iPad, that cost more than double what I paid for this. Not totally sold on the 7 inch size until I hold the 10-inch iPad for a while. This is easily worth the price, but the question is whether it's enough of a step up from my Galaxy Nexus. If there were a Nexus 10 even without SD expansion, I'd be totally in.

My guess is there are crazy excited people that are too over-the-top about this device before they have it in their hands. They'll get it and will be impressed at first, but they'll be after the next thing far too quickly.

That's it for now. Off to play... I mean get ready for my trip. :)

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Excellent build quality considering I paid $250 for the 16 GB version from Gamestop. It has an nice aluminum banded rim around the edge of the screen, and a nice leathery back (which is actual is rubber but looks and feels like leather). The screen also looks really nice to me, and the flick response time is super quick.

The WiFi and GPS seem very steady, and haven't had any issues so far. I did get the $25 credit for the Google Play Store when I first initalized my N7, as well as some free books, magazines, and the Transformer movie.

Compared to my Kindle Fire Tablet, the N7 is far better. Having a real Android OS (and Jelly Bean for that matter) versus the half cooked Android OS for the Kindle Fire makes a really big difference.

So far, everything is working great! I'll need to finish up installing all my apps and do a bit of configuring, then it's off to search for a nice case to protect my investment.

mc511

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
So far I love it. The build quality is excellent. No problems there. The screen is nice as well. And the right size. I like carrying this around and feel very comfy doing so. The rubber back or whatever is nice. I can grip this much easier Than the galaxy tab that I had. The tegra 3 is nice and fast. I can multitask smoother than ever. Like right now I am listening to music from Google play music and reading these forums. Games look great. Shadow gun looks nice. I want to try the new sonic game on it soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Please keep these coming as I am a second wave guy and have no idea when im getting mine. Im happy for everyone that has gotten theres though. More impressions plzzzz.

Reactions: G3TCASHM0N3Y

mongstradamus

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I like about it so far is being able to hold it one hand. It doesn't feel like it's too heavy either. Jellybean is really smooth digging the new notification system as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm setting mine up and was hit by the big problem I had hoped Google had corrected... I can't freaking buy Apps from the Play Store! Not on tablet anyway sigh. That is a problem in Honeycomb and a problem in Jellybean. I was hoping it wouldn't happen again since I CAN buy apps on my phones (Atrix, Epic 4G, and EVO 4G LTE), which tells me that Google does sell to Puerto Rico, but for some reason it doesn't like selling to tablets ugh.

Anyway, responsiveness is awesome and it feels really sturdy which I wasn't expecting it would feel so solid for that price. I'll just buy NOVA 3 on my EVO LTE and download it on my Nexus 7 then sigh.

Google please fix that annoyance! :(

mongstradamus

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm setting mine up and was hit by the big problem I had hoped Google had corrected... I can't freaking buy Apps from the Play Store! Not on tablet anyway sigh. That is a problem in Honeycomb and a problem in Jellybean. I was hoping it wouldn't happen again since I CAN buy apps on my phones (Atrix, Epic 4G, and EVO 4G LTE), which tells me that Google does sell to Puerto Rico, but for some reason it doesn't like selling to tablets ugh.

Anyway, responsiveness is awesome and it feels really sturdy which I wasn't expecting it would feel so solid for that price. I'll just buy NOVA 3 on my EVO LTE and download it on my Nexus 7 then sigh.

Google please fix that annoyance! :(

Do you mean you can't buy with your 25 dollar credit or can't buy at all on your tablet ?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Can someone with the tablet check out how netflix works with it? does it give you the tablet layout or the phone one?

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean you can't buy with your 25 dollar credit or can't buy at all on your tablet ?

Nothing at all. I have the same problem with a Galaxy Tab. I usually buy my tablet only apps when I'm traveling to the US or Europe. Dunno why Google doesn't sell tablet apps to PR but they do let me buy apps on my phones. Makes no sense to me...

mongstradamus

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Nothing at all. I have the same problem with a Galaxy Tab. I usually buy my tablet only apps when I'm traveling to the US or Europe. Dunno why Google doesn't sell tablet apps to PR but they do let me buy apps on my phones. Makes no sense to me...

That's odd. Have yet to buy any apps still trying to find an good twitter app still for seven inch form factor

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
It's always been like that since Honeycomb. I've just worked around it since most apps work on phone and tablet but it's a pain when I want a tablet only app. I've emailed Google about it but they never reply.