Do I Really Need a Tablet?

chandlerbbailey

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, new to Android Central but I'm a huge tech fan!

My birthday is coming up next month, and I've been looking into tablets and laptops that are decently priced.

The Nexus 7 seems like it packed a lot into a $200 investment.

The thing is, is there really a need for one if I already have an Android smartphone and a desktop computer? We are also supposed to be getting Chromebooks for school in about two months.

Since I already have access to those devices, would it be worth it to purchase a tablet (specifically the Nexus 7)?

I've never owned a tablet but I've been able to use them for a little while before.

I see a tablet as a cheaper alternative to a laptop, and more for entertainment. That basically describes my needs.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I think tablets are a great form of entertainment and can also be used well for school. Let's just say if I didn't own a XOOM and Kindle Fire, this tablet would be in my hands now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: chandlerbbailey

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I remember when the first iPad came out, I thought was a stupid thing, that won't catch on.

Then a while later I bought a Kindle 3 and used it's experimental web browser. And I finally saw the light. Being able to surf the web would be awesome with something I hold in my hand like a book with a nice large screen.

I ran out and bought an iPad then (this was before Honeycomb and most Android tablets still sucked).

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
So overall, do you guys think that a tablet is indeed a useful device to have?

Yes. I took my Fire with me everywhere. Started to read a lot more. Had most of my college text books on it. Kept work documents on it. The N7 will be even more than the fire. Yes its like a smartphone but a larger (but portable) screen is a plus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I like being able to do a lot of the things I do on my computer, with out having to fire it up and sit at my desk. As far as my laptop goes, while it is more portable, I like my tablet for simplier things, like movies, browsing the web, music, etc... And, I like that I can take my tablet more places, like using it in the car, or on the sofa, etc... I like the smaller, lighter size of it. No, I don't need it, but it's nice and convient to have it.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, new to Android Central but I'm a huge tech fan!

The thing is, is there really a need for one if I already have an Android smartphone and a desktop computer? We are also supposed to be getting Chromebooks for school in about two months.

Since I already have access to those devices, would it be worth it to purchase a tablet (specifically the Nexus 7)?

I've never owned a tablet but I've been able to use them for a little while before.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

I just got a Chromebook and I love that thing, its now my main computer but I still ordered the Nexus 7 because I always wanted a tablet but couldn't justified buying one...my Evo LTE serves the same purpose. At this price for a pure Android device with good specs and great build quality its a no brainer but its still a want and not a need for me.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have all those devices, worse i have a machine plugged directly into our big tv at all times. That being said i use my tablets way more often than all other devices. The nice big screen without all the fuss of digging out and booting up a laptop. And taking a laptop to the oval office for my daily visit would be way more cumbersome than a tablet. Get the tablet, be a cool kid.

Note: having one or more tablets does not increase your cool to anybody other than your ten year old or younger children. Teenagers role their eyes at everything.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Granted I don't want to sit on it but it surf very comfortably, the built-in speaker is adequate and I am loving it. My gnex is in my pocket and I can place the 7 in my back pocket each time I get a beer. Just do it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I just can't justify it. I want one, but I can't think of anything this tablet can do that I can't do between my Optimus V and my laptop.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I just can't justify it. I want one, but I can't think of anything this tablet can do that I can't do between my Optimus V and my laptop.
how about this the nexus 7 is a great device for many things but the most amazing thing is the gaming honestly the tegra 3 processor is a beast and it powers through the highest games on the market with no problem and a seven inch screen is perfect for both movies and games the screen is amazing and now with the addition of cellular data your no longer stuck hopping from one wifi signal to another if you so choose to get the HSPA model..If you choose to root it doesn't get any easier to unlock and root than on a nexus device,this tablet will be getting aosp updates straight from Google and ASUS for a long time if you decide not to root..

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Also, this is another reason to get a tablet. You can do anything from your laptop on the Nexus tablet. The make difference is the portability.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Personally, it's all about the portability. My laptop can pretty much go anywhere, but the battery only lasts for four hours or so. I can usually go an entire day on one charge with the Nexus 7.

I've had to fly several times in the last month. When using my laptop on the plane, I'm always confined by the amount of space, especially if the person in front of me reclines. Using the N7, I don't have those issues.

Unless there is something that I really need to use the laptop for (like Photoshop or app development), I tend to grab the N7 instead.

anon4843263

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmexcellent question.
I think the tablet is a good thing for portability. It is very convenient and is MUCH EASIER to tote around than a laptop.

In YOUR situation, you probably have what you need for school. However, you may find that the Nexus could really serve you well.

I take notes much faster by writing...I am not certain if you can use a stylus with the nexus yet for taking notes but if this can be done, and be able to move the (notes) to another device (print them, script to text' etc) then this could be an amazing thing for you.

For me, the ability to simply pick up something the size of a paperback and have all the files I need in record time is worth the investment ($199 vs much more $) in a laptop.

Hope that helps!

Mike:)

ucintegra1#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the real advantage to a tablet is convenience. There are times when I want to use a browser but don't want to use the computer or the small screen of my smartphone. A tablet is the prefect medium and provides an excellent alternative to a laptop, pc, or your smartphone.

VZW GNex - CM10 Jelly Bro b4

mtroxel

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Good discussion. I bought a Nexus 7 a week ago. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it. Yes, it's far more convienient if I just want to Wiki something while I watch TV, and I can check my email easier than reading on my Razr Max. It is terrific for reading!

But often when I'm on my Nexus, I make a list of things to do, emails to respond to, when I'm back on my laptop.

I'd agree with a lot of the sentiment you've heard above, its a nice toy. But so far, I'd say it's far less than necessary.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
So overall, do you guys think that a tablet is indeed a useful device to have?

I like using a tablet first and foremost because it's more portable than lugging your laptop around, even if you're at home. Browsing emails, surfing the web, watching Netflix or Youtube, reading a book or playing a game while lying in bed or the couch is a much better experience. When I'm out someplace like Panera, it's easier to bring along than my laptop. Even for work or school you'll find that it has it's uses like looking at documents or even storing textbooks etc.

Obviously it's not a perfect solution for every situation but I find that my N7 is a great device to have for most situations where you don't really need a laptop and a smartphone is just too limited to use.

So I guess you have figure out what you'lll be using for and go from there :). For 200.00-250.00 it's really a great device for the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair