Google Play I want the shipping amount back.

droidfroid

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The reason I pre ordered was to get it early. Now lot's of people have the Nexus 7 before me. I am happy to pay the sales tax but I want my shipping amount refunded. I can buy a Nexus 7 in the store with NO SHIPPING cost.
Google Play do the right thing and refund my shipping amount.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think ours can be considered pre orders anymore since stores are selling them as regular stock now. Its pretty annoying.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Really? You don't think you should have to pay shipping on something because someone else got one before you?

Show me where it says in your pre-order that you'd have it before everyone else...

For the love of pete...

Definition of pre order:

A pre-order is an order placed for an item which has not yet been released. The idea for pre-orders came when people found it hard to get popular items in stores due to their popularity. Companies were then given the idea to allow people to reserve their own personal copy, BEFORE THE RELEASE, which has been a huge success. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee IMMEDIATE DELIVERY ON RELEASE, manufacturers can gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be, and sellers can be assured of minimum sales. Additionally, high pre-order rates can be used to generate publicity to further increase sales.

Btw, I'm not trying to get out of shipping, just staying the facts.

Maddog088

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Companies were then given the idea to allow people to reserve their own personal copy, BEFORE THE RELEASE, which has been a huge success. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee IMMEDIATE DELIVERY ON RELEASE

Was there an official release date announced? I never heard it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ry and j510

ack154

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Definition of pre order:

A pre-order is an order placed for an item which has not yet been released. The idea for pre-orders came when people found it hard to get popular items in stores due to their popularity. Companies were then given the idea to allow people to reserve their own personal copy, BEFORE THE RELEASE, which has been a huge success. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee IMMEDIATE DELIVERY ON RELEASE, manufacturers can gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be, and sellers can be assured of minimum sales. Additionally, high pre-order rates can be used to generate publicity to further increase sales.

Btw, I'm not trying to get out of shipping, just staying the facts.

That's not a definition of a pre-order. That's what you expect or believe a pre-order to be. A pre-order is nothing more than being able to reserve a device before it is available. If you inferred or assumed anything more, that's not Google's problem.

ucfgrad93

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Really? You don't think you should have to pay shipping on something because someone else got one before you?

Show me where it says in your pre-order that you'd have it before everyone else...

For the love of pete...

Agreed. Google said they would ship in 2-3 weeks and they are doing just that. Sorry, OP but Google doesn't owe you the shipping costs.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Before I say this, let me point out that it is not fact. But it is a logical possibility.

Instead of complaining and saying "waaaah. I want a hand-out because GameStop customers got theirs before me", maybe you should be THANKING GameStop. Think about it. Google's promise upon initial pre-release date was that it would ship in two to three weeks. That time period has not passed yet and won't for another week. There was no obligation for Google to get the preorders shipped yet. However, has anyone considered that maybe them, ASUS, and the shipping carriers busted their asses to get them out the door today because of this? GameStop most likely went against the official release date obligation so instead of waiting for all vendors and outlets to align on a proper release, they may have just called in the troops to get us our devices a week earlier than we would have if GameStop had not started selling them today.

Think about that before complaining. We could have still been waiting for another week with no wrongdoing being done by Google if GameStop (and other retailers) hadn't caused all of this ruckus.

Reactions: makeotapackage-j4

Lugnutted

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually sent this into their order inquiries/help center.

I was very happy to hear that the Nexus 7 was available for purchase in stores today. However, I was also very frustrated by the fact that I placed a preorder with the Google Play store, but it did not arrive on the day of release.

As part of my preorder purchase, I was charged $13.99 for shipping and handling. I would have no complaints about this charge, if my order had arrived on the release date. I would have seen this as a convenience payment because I would not have to go out to a store to pick up my product. However, it now seems like the shipping charge has become a premium payment on my preorder, that serves no purpose as I am receiving my product after people who placed orders through a 3rd party and were not charged shipping and handling fees.

This has placed a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. I believe that Google makes a better profit when they sell their products directly through their online store instead of through 3rd party retailers. However, I don't know if I would ever place another hardware order through Google, or recommend that any of my friends or family place orders, unless something was done to compensate for my extra waiting time. I would have gladly ordered through a retailer like Gamestop and gone to their store today if I knew that I would be able to pick up my Nexus 7 days before my preorder through the Google Play store would arrive at my house.

As such, I would like my shipping and handling fee of $13.99 refunded or credited to my Google Play store account. That would go a long way towards fixing the problem of the delayed shipping.

Thank you in advance for your response.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
$13.99? I paid $19+tax = $21.47.

This an 8% tax for ordering from the Play Store. If I get Staples tomorrow, Google can eat it.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Or you can also suck it up and take the $25 in Google Play money plus the free Transformers movie. I'll gladly pay shipping for both of those.

It seems all the versions come with that, not just the Google Play versions.

And to the people going on about how TOTALLY INSANE it is to assume that if you preorder a device, that you should expect to get if before, or at least the same day as an average Joe walking into a brick and mortar, really guys? I'm not really fussy about it, it'll be here on Monday, but you guys are like used car salesmen trying to argue the merits of an obviously crappy car. You can try to talk around it all you want, but everybody knows what a friggin preorder is, it means you get it the day it comes out, before everybody who didn't preorder. If preorder meant you pay more to get a product days after everyone else, nobody would preorder things. Stop being silly.

That being said, people are raising ENTIRELY too much fuss about this. It was a minor blunder, not unexpected with their first release. If you really care about Google, you wouldn't be throwing a fit and demanding your shipping back on something that Google is already taking a loss on. Just be glad Apple didn't get an injunction on it or something. All this hullabaloo will just give the press something to whine about, which will inevitably include comparisons to how Apple has never done something like this, which equals more people regarding Google as an inferior company.

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm holding my nerd rage in. It's always so embarrassing to read your own nerd rage posts later when you've cooled off.

But I fully endorse other upset Google Play customers to totally nerd rage. Squeaky wheels get the oil and perhaps we'll get some additional Play credits or something out of it. They definitely won't be refunding shipping costs though.

Rage on my brothers and sisters (do girls nerd rage?)!

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
It seems all the versions come with that, not just the Google Play versions.

And to the people going on about how TOTALLY INSANE it is to assume that if you preorder a device, that you should expect to get if before, or at least the same day as an average Joe walking into a brick and mortar, really guys? I'm not really fussy about it, it'll be here on Monday, but you guys are like used car salesmen trying to argue the merits of an obviously crappy car. You can try to talk around it all you want, but everybody knows what a friggin preorder is, it means you get it the day it comes out, before everybody who didn't preorder. If preorder meant you pay more to get a product days after everyone else, nobody would preorder things. Stop being silly.

That being said, people are raising ENTIRELY too much fuss about this. It was a minor blunder, not unexpected with their first release. If you really care about Google, you wouldn't be throwing a fit and demanding your shipping back on something that Google is already taking a loss on. Just be glad Apple didn't get an injunction on it or something. All this hullabaloo will just give the press something to about, which will inevitably include comparisons to how Apple has never done something like this, which equals more people regarding Google as an inferior company.

....Why is everyone acting like Gamestop's weren't preorders? They were. They got fulfilled first because the shipping is completely different. Get over it.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
....Why is everyone acting like Gamestop's weren't preorders? They were. They got fulfilled first because the shipping is completely different. Get over it.

I am over it, my device will be here on Monday don't have a care in the world. Maybe you should have read my post, I don't approve of the heavy whiners, I think it will only create bad press for Google, which is not something any of us want. And I was not referring to Gamestop pre-orders anyway, rather the locations selling to those without preorders, like Wal-Mart and Staples in the U.S. and others in Canada. The only people I was disagreeing with were those who seem to believe pre-order doesn't mean getting something the day it comes out, before people without pre-orders, which is just silly since we all know that's the whole point of a pre-order. You seem rather uninformed.

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I don't agree with your definition of a preorder. A preorder means you reserve a copy of said item. You did not order an ADVANCED copy & was not promised one.

Where does it state Friday 13 2012 was the official release day? Yes multiple stores sold them today. Multiple people also do 80+ on the freeway, does that mean 80 is the new speed limit?

google play disclosed S&H fees up front with a shipping time frame of 2-3 weeks. These were the terms & you agreed to them. End of story.

Some how ordering from GS makes one a less "loyal" customer because they did not agree to the preorder terms set forth by the play store. This I do not understand. some places released this product with or without consent of google. It happened, time to move on. You are still getting your preorder, just not as fast as you expected.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I agree people pre-ordered at Gamestop too. But I think it's reasonable for people that pre-ordered at Google Play during Google I/O on the 27th, before Gamestop even offered pre-orders, to be less than happy with the situation that their orders hadn't even shipped by the time Gamestop customers were picking their's up.

Something didn't quite go right here.

PS. And it's not just Gamestop, but Sams Club and Adorama too.