No flash got you down? Try this fix

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Abridged Version for those that want a less wordy explanation:

1) Obtain an older flash .apk, a newer flash .apk, and the firefox .apk. All of which can be snagged from the internet, your phone using Airdroid or a similar app, or at the bottom of this post.

2) Install the older Flash .apk, then update to the newer one. (below are numbered in the order that one should flash them, with 1 being older and 2 being newer)

3) After (and only after) installing and updating flash, install the firefox .apk. (remember flash is not always on by default in firefox. If you want the default browser experience, you need to go into the firefox settings, find plugins and select "enabled" )

4) Enjoy!

Unabridged for those of you that need more in-depth help (includes me from time-to-time):

1) Obtain an older adobe flash player .apk, a newer Adobe Flash Player .apk, and the Mozilla Firefox .apk. All of which can be snagged from the internet, your phone using Airdroid or a similar app, or at the bottom of this post. Essentially you are just getting an older version of flash player and a newer version of flash player.

2) You can download the .apk file directly to your tablet (skip to step 3), or to a computer. If it was on a computer, plug in your tablet and use my computer (or mac equivalent) and stick it in the download folder (just for me to save time writing).

3) On your tablet, go into settings and open security. Make sure to check the box for "Unknown Sources". You get a warning basically saying Google can't guarantee that apps not from Google Play are safe...common sense.

4) On your tablet, install a file manager app (i.e. File Manager HD). On your tablet, open the file manager. Go to the download folder, click on the older flash player .apk (or Adobe Flash Player_1.apk if it was from down below). Click on install, and do the same for the newer flash player .apk (or Adobe Flash Player_2.apk).

5) After (and only after) installing and updating flash (step 4), install a browser that supports flash (aka the firefox .apk using the same method).

6) If you are using firefox, flash is not enabled automatically. Change this by going into the settings, find plugins, and select enabled.

7) Enjoy!

Note: firefox isn't required, it's just what I used.

Note: I used the website http://www.androidcentral.com/wordpress-android-updated-include-support-nexus-7-danish-language to demonstrate it working in the screenshots.

Update 7/17/2012: So I found that when replicating this, I was having trouble getting it to work. So I tinkered and found that installing an older flash first, updating to the new one, and then installing firefox was the ticket. Updated the post to include a better step-by-step and .apk links for flash.

Update 7/21/2012: Added link for Firefox Aurora and AirDroid, and added a space to remove the unintentional winking emoticon.

AirDroid (not required) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&token=tM1pc1s7
Firefox Aurora (not required) http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/aurora/
Adobe Flash Player_1.apk http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...got-you-down-try-fix-adobe-flash-player_1.apk
Adobe Flash Player_2.apk http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...got-you-down-try-fix-adobe-flash-player_2.apk

Last edited:

moss27

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
How does sideloading work on android devices?
I have the APK file for flash player but don't know where to go next. And am I crazy or is Firefox not compatible with this tablet yet?

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
How does sideloading work on android devices?
I have the APK file for flash player but don't know where to go next. And am I crazy or is Firefox not compatible with this tablet yet?

Before anything else, go into the "Security" section of your settings, and find the line that says "Unknown Sources" and make sure that box is checked. A warning will pop up that basically warns you that Google can't guarantee that apps you get outside of the Google play store are safe...kind of a no-brainer, but I digress...

Put the flash .apk file on your tablet, via computer or whatever way you choose, open a file manager app on your tablet (i.e. File Manager HD https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm.hd&token=kB5jNegO) , and click on the file. I tend to put things in my download folder so it's easy to track down. It will ask if you want to install, so click install and the rest is self explanatory.

As for Firefox, it is just not available for download on your Nexus 7. However, I can confirm it works just fine. In fact, my fiance used it while signing up for a college class yesterday. I recommend downloading it to a phone and snagging the .apk file. It's a workaround, but it gets the job done until they make it downloadable from the play store.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: davedom

Yamagushi

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
?? Firefox is on the marketplace and as of the last couple versions plays flash natively.. You don't need any special hacks or tricks...

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
It's on the Market for the N7? It's being widely reported that FF isn't compatible with tablets unless you download the apk and force install it.

Yamagushi

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a gtablet with ICS, that I use firefox on all the time. Never had any issues with it, and its made for both UI's, it has a tablet UI.

Yamagushi

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
You can also go to firefox.com from your tablet, it will detect your on android, and you can download it from there. Once its finished downloading itll pop up asking you to install. Easy stuff.

I prefer firefox.com/beta then go with Aurora, the alpha. Much nicer UI.

Also the beta and alpha update themselves.

lobstahs

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That link looks pretty shady... any direct link for the Firefox 14.0 apk file?

You can download it straight from Mozilla's website. That direct enough for you?

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android

I tried to install flash in Firefox, but apparently I'm not doing something right. I've gotten everything else I've tried to directly install to work, but flash is still giving me problems.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's crazy. What's up with all of the false reports about "Firefox is only for phones, and doesn't work on tablets" I keep hearing? I also saw this stated in an AC article too. :confused:

This shall be the first thing I download tomorrow. Not that I like FF or anything, but it's the only way I can watch my Amazon Instant Videos on Android without using Dolphin. (can't stand it)

Yamagushi

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can recall I've done it both ways no problems. Install firefox, go to a site with a flash content, click on the flash box like your on a PC, flash is selective in firefox, click to activate instead of just assuming and launching it. You should get the pop up, you need flash, just follow the prompts, and before you know it youll enjoy flash goodness.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital