Nexus 7 Glass Seperation

Klotera

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe Asus, not Google, will be handling warranty work on the N7. I actually submitted my issue to them this morning regarding the screen separation. They had a section in their form to submit issues for the N7 (tip: it was lumped in the same category as the "ee" devices).

staples111

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thats BS if your 14 days expire and you can't return it just because they don't have anymore in stock. They expect you to go through Google?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Well they kept me on hold for like 20mins and said that all stock is for ore orders right now due to demand and that I can go thru Google to get it replacement. They said they will call me in 7-10 business days about other options. Also Arizona staples won't get the nexus til end of August. Its like I a, screwed all around :(

ack154

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the retail outlets got all these units, LOL.

Sure glad I waited for my pre-order from Google.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

Really will like to see if any of the GP ordered devices have this same issue. And really, even if they do have a problem - what more can you do than try to exchange it. Products have issues sometimes. That's why there are warranties and returns.

staples111

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So as the day goes on looks like the separation is getting worse. Its made its way to the middle of the tablet. I can now press there and click it in place. Its not as bad as the lower edge though.

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So as the day goes on looks like the separation is getting worse. Its made its way to the middle of the tablet. I can now press there and click it in place. Its not as bad as the lower edge though.

Can you maybe post a pic? Im curios to see what the damage is..

ehiss

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with the glass separation. Might not have been as bad as some others, but either way, I wasn't happy. Called the Gamestop I pre-ordered from and the manager was very receptive. She called "allocations" and a new one should arrive for me in the next couple of days. Excellent customer service. My only fear is that the new one will have the same problem. I will inspect it there before taking it home.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the retail outlets got all these units, LOL.

Sure glad I waited for my pre-order from Google.

Nonsense. I bought mine at Staples. I haven't found a single defect yet.

Nobody's got Play pre-orders in hand yet. So I'd be cautious with the Schadenfreud. Watch the complaints tomorrow night.

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Why can't Asus get tablet quality issues under control. I purchased the Transformer Prime and ended up returning it due to quality issues surrounding poor wifi performance and some screen bleed through. I ended up getting an IPAD-2 and it's been serving my needs, but I really wanted to come back to Android. I was hopeful that the Nexus-7 would be it, but I couldn't deal with the early adopter problems again and decided to wait a little before purchasing. Hearing these reports, I don't have time to be dealing with exchanging faulty units, waiting until a replacement arrives, hoping that it doesn't have the same problem. What a great product this could have been. I wish Google picked a different partner. Asus makes great motherboards and laptops, but their tablet products need quality improvement.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Why can't Asus get tablet quality issues under control. I purchased the Transformer Prime and ended up returning it due to quality issues surrounding poor wifi performance and some screen bleed through. I ended up getting an IPAD-2 and it's been serving my needs, but I really wanted to come back to Android. I was hopeful that the Nexus-7 would be it, but I couldn't deal with the early adopter problems again and decided to wait a little before purchasing. Hearing these reports, I don't have time to be dealing with exchanging faulty units, waiting until a replacement arrives, hoping that it doesn't have the same problem. What a great product this could have been. I wish Google picked a different partner. Asus makes great motherboards and laptops, but their tablet products need quality improvement.

We get what we pay for.

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Nonsense. I bought mine at Staples. I haven't found a single defect yet.

Nobody's got Play pre-orders in hand yet. So I'd be cautious with the Schadenfreud. Watch the complaints tomorrow night.

No! Don't say that!! Haha

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine has the issue - pushing down seems to temporarily fix it..we'll see what I end up doing.

Also, if I apply firm pressure to the bezel (have been doing this to attempt to fix), the display gets those "waves" in it from the pressure. Anyone else have this?

FMCharon

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
There have been record temperatures all over the US. Perhaps a batch of these tablets sat in a non-regulated warehouse where it got really hot or perhaps were even stored on their sides instead of on their backs.

This might sound kind of harsh, but I'll bet if you warm the entire tablet to about 100F, place it into a ziplock bag (to control moisture), then place it face down in the freezer overnight, the glue will be so set by morning you won't have this problem again.

I think playing a movie or a game is KINDA getting it warm enough to soften the glue, but not hot enough to seat the glass completly. Maybe if you played a higher quality movie than Transformers.....

You can warm it to 100-120F by leaving it in your car on a sunny day with all the windows rolled up for about 30 minutes. Don't put in on the dash, but put it somewhere where the sun won't hit it and make sure it's face down so the weight of the tablet will press down evenly against the glass when the glue gets gooey. The floor of the front seat should do.
(You could also place it in the oven as long as you use bake instead of broil and place it the middle rack, an equal distance from the top and bottom heating coils. The temperature should be on WARM. That should be about 100-150F. If you have any doubts, place a piece of white bread in the same spot beforehand and see that it takes forever to turn in to toast.)

Then, wherever it lies face down, slip the ziplock bag over it while it's still warm and carry it face down by the edges of the bag, not touching the tablet itself. Lay it face down on a counter or a table till its closer to room temperature. Then pick it up by edges of the bag and place it in the freezer, still face down, onto a flat area where the weight still be distributed evenly.

When you take it out of the freezer a few hours later or the next morning, be aware that, even though the screen is Corning glass, it will still be kind of brittle until it warms back up to room temperature. Wait at least an hour before taking it out of the bag and fiddling with it.

This is only a suggestion. If I get mine tomorrow and it has this issue, that is what I am going to do.....as long as someone else tries it first. ;) If your tablet can't withstand a little heat and a little cold, then it's not even worth the small amount you paid for it. The battery might explode, but at least the screen will be fixed.

Enjoy!

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Not to completely discount the adhesive and/or temperature theory, there clearly is a hardware aspect of this as well. Every one of these exhibiting the issue has it occurring on the same side of the device. That is not just a coincidence.

FMCharon

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Not to completely discount the adhesive and/or temperature theory, there clearly is a hardware aspect of this as well. Every one of these exhibiting the issue has it occurring on the same side of the device. That is not just a coincidence.

You are probably right. It sounds like a design flaw that relies entirely too much on glue. I wonder what those iFix folks have to say about it. They are the ones who took one completelty apart to judge it's "fixability" score. They said it seemed well constructed. They might have a suggestion better than my "bake it in the oven/throw it in the freezer" idea.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc