Is it worth buying the nexus 7 if I have an iPad 3?

Jacoblee27

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The form factor is mainly what has me curious about the nexus 7, and it looks very impressive. I love my iPad 3, I was just thinking about getting this to use as well. What do you think?

tacsniper

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
yes for $200 you can't go wrong. I have an iPad 2, but I find bringing the iPad out is too big and too heavy. I bought the N7 as a mobile device that I can easily hide in the console box in my car.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Obviously I have only ha it for a day but I can see advantages of this compared to my iPad. It is MUCH lighter and easier to hold, especially one handed. That means things like reading are much better suited for it. Also because of the aspect ratio, widescreen video ends up being about the same size on it vs an iPad. Its size also lends itself to just picking it up quickly to look at something on the internet or Facebook, etc. But the iPad is clearly better for long browsing sessions and content/media creation or editing. It will take me a little while to determine if the advantages are enough to warrant keeping both, but I just don't see how I could get by on just the Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

zhingket

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It is, i have an ipad 1 & 3, an hp touchpad and a blackberry playbook, and the nexus 7 is the best investment i have (aside from my galaxy s3)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It is, i have an ipad 1 & 3, an hp touchpad and a blackberry playbook, and the nexus 7 is the best investment i have (aside from my galaxy s3)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

LOL! And I thought I was a gadget junkie....

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I have an IPad 3 and i absolutely love it, But here is where i am at. I am a google person and i like everthing google does and stands for. I HATE Apple and everything they stand for. Ive always wanted a really good 7" tablet and the Fire came close, but i hate the overlay which pretty much ruins android. I plan on keeping both tablets, But i will be using the N7 for reading, web browsing and even games. Ill use my Ipad for everything else like word documents, Some of the apps that are Ipad only and movies.

Lately though, Im getting fed up with Apple and their patients and after reading all these good reviews on the N7 i may actually sell my ipad and use my N7 as my main Tablet. I could easily get over $600 for my ipad and thats extra money in my pocket. I will spend some time and decide if i want both for say goodbye to my IPad 3.

Reactions: TauntingBull

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an IPad 3 and i absolutely love it, But here is where i am at. I am a google person and i like everthing google does and stands for. I HATE Apple and everything they stand for. Ive always wanted a really good 7" tablet and the Fire came close, but i hate the overlay which pretty much ruins android. I plan on keeping both tablets, But i will be using the N7 for reading, web browsing and even games. Ill use my Ipad for everything else like word documents, Some of the apps that are Ipad only and movies.

Lately though, Im getting fed up with Apple and their patients and after reading all these good reviews on the N7 i may actually sell my ipad and use my N7 as my main Tablet. I could easily get over $600 for my ipad and thats extra money in my pocket. I will spend some time and decide if i want both for say goodbye to my IPad 3.

This is like my thoughts exactly!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on what you use a tablet for. In the majority of productivity scenarios the iPad has problems because of the architecture of iOS (overly siloed with limited interoperation between applications) which is nice for their security goals but makes some pretty routine productivity operations a pain. For example receiving a file by email, working on it in different applications then sending it back out to different people in a different email is a pain in iOS because it does not support centralized File Management - in iOS I have to open all sorts of different apps and fish the file up in each one. In Android I just use my file manager and open it in the apps from there - fewer steps.

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had a 7" Android tablet for a couple years now....it complements my iPad. As someone mentioned earlier, the iPad is sometimes just a tad too big to bring out and 7" is the perfect size, and even fits in most back pockets. I would never get rid of my iPad 3 as it is my workhorse. I do everything with work and personal on it and it makes me super productive....with the 7" its a bit too small for those tasks....but perfect for holding and reading books.....pick your poison but there is space for both.

Reactions: OJ

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 and I'm still waiting on my N7 to ship. I did get to use an N7 last week on Friday though. The iPad is a wonderful device, but it's enormous compared to the N7. My iPad has become the least portable portable device I have. I'm so terrified of damaging it that I noticed myself unconsciously turning it into a "couch only" device. The Nexus is so easy to carry around and manage one-handed that I would be OK with using it while pumping gas. It isn't just light and a great size; the design itself makes it very easy to hold, especially that rubber back, which you really have to use to understand why it was a great idea. The size and weight of the iPad gets to me after a while. This I don't think will.

dan4877

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
What about security though? Always the big question with apple vs. others... Is the nexus 7 secure, or better yet, more secure than than my Ipad?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I ended up taking back the Nexus 7 tonight. In my book, everything about the iPad 3 is superior, much as I hate Apple. In the end, the Nexus 7 was no more useful than my Galaxy Nexus... Except the phone's screen has better contrast and saturation.

In the end, it was the lackluster screen and the inferior apps that caused it to be returned. I did sorta like the smaller size, but found myself using my phone more when I needed portability.

The guy at Sam's thought I was crazy for returning it. "People come in every day looking for these," he said, and added with a smile... "I may be taking one home tonight." Good for him.

It's a terrific value, but I didn't have much of a use-case between it and the iPad.

-- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Guineaa

Guineaa

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 is good for casual browsing, email, games and a novel. But you know what, so is a 4.8 inch phone.

For word docs, large sheet PDFs, textbooks, journals and magazines, and stylus writing I think the iPad form factor is a lot better. You're panning a lot less.

Also once you add a leather case to both, the size and weight difference closes a bit and you'll find it harder to fit that nexus 7 in your pocket.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 and the Nexus 7 (and a Galaxy Nexus).

I like having the iPad, because frankly there are apps on the iPad that are far superior to their Android counter parts and I'd kinda hate to give them up. Also I like having a larger screen for some things and sometimes I don't really mind playing on the larger heavier tablet.

And I like having the Nexus 7, because there is a lot of cool stuff only Android does. Being more open it makes some things a lot easier. I love being able to just drag and drop files onto my Nexus 7 from the PC and being able to use those files with a variety of apps. And having access to the file system. And the tablet being much lighter, and comfortable to read with one handed, makes it appealing.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 7 is good for casual browsing, email, games and a novel. But you know what, so is a 4.8 inch phone.

For word docs, large sheet PDFs, textbooks, journals and magazines, and stylus writing I think the iPad form factor is a lot better. You're panning a lot less.

Also once you add a leather case to both, the size and weight difference closes a bit and you'll find it harder to fit that nexus 7 in your pocket.

I have a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7. I don't really get how some people think a 4.7 or 4.8 inch phone replaces it. The Nexus 7 is about 2 1/2 times larger than the Galaxy Nexus screen, that's a pretty big difference.

I can do those things on the 4.8 inch screen. But it's much nicer on a 7 inch screen for me.

Reactions: TauntingBull

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I traded in my iPad 3 for the Nexus 7 and I have no regrets. This all comes down to a use case deal and that can work out different for everyone. I've had the 10.1 Acer Iconia A500, 10.1, the Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 the Pad 3 and now the Nexus 7

Out of all of those, I find the 7 inch to be ideal.

Guineaa

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7. I don't really get how some people think a 4.7 or 4.8 inch phone replaces it. The Nexus 7 is about 2 1/2 times larger than the Galaxy Nexus screen, that's a pretty big difference.

I can do those things on the 4.8 inch screen. But it's much nicer on a 7 inch screen for me.

The 4.8 inch is functionally really similar though and has the perk of fitting in my dress pants and scrubs pocket. The difference is more in viewing comfort. Whereas iPad 3 (not earlier versions) for me serve a different function by replacing my 1500 pg surgical and anatomy reference texts. The 7 inch can't do it without zooming and panning.

I guess all of us have different uses for our devices. But I was actually kind of surprised how much smaller the 7 inch was compared to iPad. In my head I was thinking it would just be a little smaller.

mchan1

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
All for-profit companies are out for one thing... to make money!
To think otherwise if just foolish! 'Nuf said!

Idealism aside...

Apple created the iPads with an easier to use iOS... sure it's restrictive but it's stable and... easy to use but... you PAY a premium for that hand-holding!

I've started with the GT7+ and it's relatively "difficult" to use.
Simple gestures like swiping isn't that simple compared to that found in the iPad/iOS.
There are many apps to do certain things that are much simpler using iOS...
For example... there are lots of media/music players in Android but there's only 1 iTunes and 1 video player on the iPad and they're EASY to use, regardless of restrictions.
I like my GT7+ due to the 7" form factor and it can render Flash websites! :D
I'd like a better screen resolution and better battery life and easier to use apps and sync features but switched over because I wanted to slowly move away from Apple's iOS and their products.

If you like simplicity, then NO! Stay with the iPad.
If you want the latest tech, then Yes! Consider the Nexus and show it off!
If you want change, then Yes! Consider the Nexus 7.
If you want to learn Android, then Yes! Consider the Nexus 7.
If you have the money to spend, then Yes! Consider the Nexus 7.
Oh... remember that you can't expand storage on the Nexus, similar to the iPad so it's not a big deal for some but it is a deal breaker for others! I won't consider it because of the lack of storage expansion.

It's up to you what you want and what you intend to do with it!

Lastly, watch out for the rumors for an iPad mini. Guess Apple doesn't want to lose customers who want a smaller 7"/8" tablet than their ~10" iPad.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670