delivery delay in scorching heat

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I pre-ordered my N7 with Staples because they have *always* delivered my products in the morning via their courier service. We have a Staples about 30mi away. Well, I see that my N7 is not being delivered by Staples Courier but by UPS. UPS is about a mile away from my home but because I'm considered a residential delivery they get to me when they get to me which is generally sometime late afternoon - in fact because I work mids and sleep 2nd shift many times my UPS packages don't arrive before 2pm and so they sit outside until 9pm'ish. Needless to say I'm not happy with this but I'm figuring they didn't ship the units to individual stores for pre-orders but instead are sending them out from a bigger more centralized location.

We are having horrendous heat/drought conditions here. The heat index is predicted to be like 120 degrees a few days this coming week. I know that heat (and dust) are a computer's worst enemy. I do plan on bringing it in and leaving it until it comes to room temp - we have air conditioning.

Should I be concerned about any damage? Any other tips/hints you have to help prevent damage from this I would love to hear. I've been trying to locate an N7 in a store close enough to go buy it so I don't have to worry about this and then just refuse the shipment but I'm not having any luck. Although Staples CS did mention they go "on sale" on the 15th so maybe I'll check there again in the morn.

Am I being paranoid? I would worry about *any* computer product in this heat not just the N7.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely agree, but unfortunately, that won't work. I'll be asleep if they follow their usual delivery time and there's no one else to sign for it. If they don't leave it, it will be days before I get it. I've tried calling UPS in the past to make pick-up arrangements for important/expensive packages and they just are not real cooperative with that kind of thing.

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Generally UPS only requires a signature for business shipments. They will leave residential someplace "safe". Deb, I dont think Id be concerned about the temps. Those units have not been kept in a temperature controlled environment. They were in a shipping container on the way here from China, and the UPS facility is not temp/humidity controlled, and neither is the delivery truck.

Reactions: ShaggyKids

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'll just take care to let it's temp equalize before I do anything with it. Sounds like that should take care of it. I prolly will not get it before I go to bet, it'll be there when I get up but of course I'll be getting ready for work so it will then sit overnight until I get home. Really hate UPS delivery schedules.

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd guess the temperatures that your Tablet is subjected to while in transit (on the truck, plane, warehouse, etc) are more than it will experience sitting on your doorstep.

I'd be more worried about the thorough tossing around it will receive from UPS.

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Could always just request to pick up at their location. I works 12hr 3rd shift and sleep during the day, happen to live in an apartment complex so any of my packages I just pick up from them. They will hold them for a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith