Nexus 7 Or Asus Transformer Infinity?? Help!

HunterOrHunted

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on taking advantage of my school's "bring your own technology" program by buying a tablet to take notes on and use for school and whatnot. I am horribly conflicted between the Nexus 7 and the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (TF700, no I will not stoop to the level of the TF300). My main use will be taking notes, using the browser, and probably a few games when I get bored, lol.

The most obvious difference between the two is the price, as well as the keyboard dock. With the dock, the Transformer is over three times the price of the base Nexus 7! It offers so much more functionality but still, expensive as all hell.

The two are essentially comparable in the following areas:
-Display density, yes I know the resolutions are different but 216 ppi on the Nexus vs 224 on the Transformer will produce little difference, though the Transformer's screen is brighter
-Processor, same quad-core tegra 3, maybe a little faster on the Transformer but whatever
-Ram, 1 gb, but ddr3 on Transformer
-Connectivity, wifi only on both

Minor differences
-OS, jelly bean on Nexus, also hugely dev/hacking friendly; ics on Transformer, but Asus is pretty good with updates, but hate their skin, also locked bootloader so it's changing it with a voided warranty
-Cameras, better on Transformer, but really, who uses a tablet for a camera anyway?

Major differences
-Very limited storage on the Nexus, no SD either, where there is 32 or 64 gb on the Transformer
-Functionality, Transformer is hugely versatile with the keyboard
-Price, $250 Nexus vs. $650 Transformer, these are what I calculate given what I want storage- and keyboard-wise
-Physical size, 7 inches vs. 10.1, don't really know if I have a preference, need to play with both first

Any other differences you guys can come up with? And can somebody who has had one or the other (or both?!) please comment and give me your opinion? Thanks!

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Those devices are not really in the same league... if your main use for the tablet would be for productivity, note taking, and light gaming I would have to recommend the Transformer because of the dock, nicer and bigger screen, and battery life. The N7, although a highly capable device, is focused more on media consumption.

With that said, I think that either device would "work" for you, but the edge goes to the transformer.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with Adam. The transformer is going to hurt the wallet so much more, but for your needs it will probably be best. At least that is until someone figures out how to connect an external USB drive for storage. For my I chose the Nexus as simply an e-reader and entertainment device. I realized its limitations but it fits for my needs.

tonofmort

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
At $650, I'm not seeing the case for an ASUS tablet over a sandy-bridge powered Asus laptop with Windows 7 for $50 cheaper (bestbuy)

Redbird1

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm having trouble deciding too. However if I were going to use it for school, I'd get the Infinity. I'm leaning that way anyway.

Sent using Tapatalk

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys know if there's any app like GoodReader for iOS on the android platform. I used it a lot on my iPad but I can't find a pdf reader and editor as good as that one for my nexus 7. As long as I have that app I think the nexus 7 even beats the iPad for use in school. Yeah the iPad is nice, but it's just to big and heavy to hold and use imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys know if there's any app like GoodReader for iOS on the android platform. I used it a lot on my iPad but I can't find a pdf reader and editor as good as that one for my nexus 7. As long as I have that app I think the nexus 7 even beats the iPad for use in school. Yeah the iPad is nice, but it's just to big and heavy to hold and use imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RepliGo Reader. It is a great PDF reader

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same predicament. Ahh !! I will use mine for games, videos, reading and web browsing. I just don't know. Sigh. Lol

Sent from my HTC One X

Gspot82

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been making the same debate. I use mine for virtually everything but have made several arguments. However, I am still undecided.

Most commonly I use it for work and night school but specific use cases and advantages are as follows:

- reading: Nexus 7 hands down, you cannot comfortably hold a 10" tablet for extended periods.
- Taking Notes: Infinity: This is for obvious reasons but I am beginning to doubt this as well. I can type extremely quickly with Swype and I could be almost as effective with this on the nexus 7. The win in this case is using evernote to its full potential though. I occasionally like to take pictures of lecture slides which I would have to use my phone for.
- Movies: tie: Infinity gives you a better screen, but harder to hold.
- Games: Nexus 7: The smaller form factor would make it easier to both one hand it and reach on screen controls.
- Email: Infinity: You would just be able to plain see more.

I am leaning towards the 7 but I do like the form factor of a 10 so I am having a tough time. I might just buy a nexus and decide in a few weeks if I want to return it and get an infinity. The only thing holding me back is the lack of rear camera and the fact that it isn't much bigger than my phone.

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I am leaning towards the 7 but I do like the form factor of a 10 so I am having a tough time. I might just buy a nexus and decide in a few weeks if I want to return it and get an infinity. The only thing holding me back is the lack of rear camera and the fact that it isn't much bigger than my phone.

As a N-7 owner and a Xoom owner (plus my mom and sis both own transformers) I think the transformer is really what you are looking for.

Having used the Xoom while in college, I ended up buying a Bluetooth keyboard case (Verizon's "official" version) that mimicked the transformer. Unfortunately, the keyboard never really compared in responsiveness and I ended up bringing my laptop to school a ton... except the week before finals this spring when I accidentally smashed the screen. *shudder* The ports are another huge advantage for the transformer.

Also, if 7" seems too small, don't settle. My fiance is fond of the 10"'ers (she's 5'8" 120lbs) and I found myself preferring the smaller tablets (I'm 6'4" 200lbs). She even has delusions of getting something like the Excite 13 <insert bad joke here>
My point being, if you don't think you'd be happy with a smaller tab, then wait to see what unfolds with the Nexus 10 rumors, or get the Transformer. Otherwise, you'll be disappointed for a long time...unless you're rich....in which case you should get both and send me the one you like least. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

darethehair

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This is a relevant question for me as well. I intend a Nexus 7 purchase for my mom, while planning a Transformer Infinity for myself. Similar power, etc. but drastically different price is causing me to have second thoughts (what if I fall in love with the N7?). However, there are two things that I need to remind myself of that should make the Infinity my top choice:

1) Back camera: Taking pics might be handy, but my assumption had always been that the 'next big thing' was 'augmented reality' -- in which case some sort of rear-facing camera is necessary.

2) HDMI output: To avoid the need to drag a laptop around whenever I would want to run a PowerPoint-like presentation (or to just watch a movie), this is necessary.

Of course, the original plans for the ME370T 7" tablet would have been the optimal solution, but that was not to be :(

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Sadly it seems like ASUS always screws up something in their early batches of their tablets.

Nexus 7 has the over saturated washed out looking screen issues (seems to happen after playing videos). And the Transformer Infinity has an issue with I/O performance. A comment in this thread says ASUS is looking into that issue.
Terrible I/O - TF700t - xda-developers

Seems like playing Russian roulette buying an ASUS tablet during the first few weeks of release. :)

jstar8000

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually the processor in the infinity is 1.6ghz tegra 3 while the nexus 7 is 1.3 ghz tegra 3
the ppi will probably make a tiny difference, probably unnoticeable

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
If you want a note taking device with all of the Android feature get the Lenovo Think padding Android tablet. It has 32GB of storage, Tegra 2, IPS display, ICS, NTrig active digitizer, full USB slot and not excellent Think padding keyboard folio if you want a keyboard. You can find these for under $400 and the keyboard for about $70. I have one and use it to take handwritten notes and annotate documents at school. It has enough power to stream HD videos and is very durable. I have compared it with my Nexus 7 and I really can't tell a difference in speed, but there are so many more options than the transformer. I would at least check it out if you would like the option to take written notes along with typing. You will actually save some money too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar