An Apple user's impressions of the Nexus 7 & Jelly Bean

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Look if you want to try android out why would jump into their biggest weak spots.... "Tablets"..... I'm sorry I love android but hands down ipad is better....that's like someone from Japan saying I want to test how Americans handle fuel efficiency and buy a Ford or Chevy SUV.... Why not buy a galaxy S3, Galaxy nexus, htx one X,...you could have done a 15 day test with a flagship android phone and took it back... Honestly nothing will compare to the ipad coming from Android until Google does like Windows did and make a tab themselves hardware and software.. I'll argue flagship android phones over iphone all day but I have to say ipad runs the tabs.... For now the surface looks to have something to say about that......
But yea you screwed your experience when you started... Can't compare ipad to android tabs we aren't there yet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely adore Good Reader. Plan on using Google Drive to replace it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

What app will you be using to annotate? The best I've found is ezPDF, but still a far cry from GoodReader.:-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What app will you be using to annotate? The best I've found is ezPDF, but still a far cry from GoodReader.:-(

I haven't gone down that road yet. I tried using Google Docs on my phone and it was a bit nutty. I'll have to see how it works with the 7" screen before I start really searching for alternatives.

What I really, really need though is seamless page transitions. GoodReader, especially in its latest variety, has that and some PDF readers get wonky very quickly.

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I see, give ezPDF a shot the best one I've tried so far and it has Google Drive and dropbox builtin. It doesn't sync folders automatically but you have the option to upload them to dropbox.

Reactions: dmmarck

fguills

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My questions is if Ipad is so much better why the hell did you Ipad user switch to a Nexus? Think about that!!! You are comparing a $200-250 Nexus to a $600-800 Ipad. Its like comparing a Benz to Fiat. I for one have used a Ipad and to me it crap but whatever!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My questions is if Ipad is so much better why the hell did you Ipad user switch to a Nexus? Think about that!!! You are comparing a $200-250 Nexus to a $600-800 Ipad. Its like comparing a Benz to Fiat. I for one have used a Ipad and to me it crap but whatever!!!

I see. Your a typical Android kiddie who knows nothing about iPads. Your prices are wrong to start. You can be ignored.

fguills

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I see. Your a typical Android fan who knows nothing about iPads. Your prices are wrong to start. You can be ignored.

No! I have had Ipad it's not for me. I think Ipad are very limited where as Android is not.

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone worked out a Blutooth file transfer system yet? That should be easier than wifi, if you can get it to work on a Mac. I have no experience with them.

What's strange to me is I plugged my Kindle into my PC and it read the files fine. I only needed the Android SDK when it came time to hack it. The Nexus however isn't readable. Perhaps Microsoft (or Amazon) added Kindle support to Windows in some way (it found drivers when I plugged it in) that the Nexus doesn't have yet. One could theorize that in time Windows will also have Nexus drivers in their database.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Developers make money on iOS because of volume. The Android app story is pathetic. Choice, quality and just finding an app. Plus many fewer people actually willing to pay for an app. There are many same apps that on Android have reduced functionality and look worse.
I will only buy an Android device that is either a nexus or with an unlocked bootloader. if an iOS device doesn't do what you want then you can jailbreak. Fewer people do these days though because Apple has added features that people used to jailbreak for.
The people who complain about Apple being a closed system and Android supposedly one can generally give few examples of what is good or bad about either or how it actually affects them.
You really want to root an Android device just to get rid of the silly amount of bloatware the carriers and manufacturers install. Apple doesn't allow carriers to do this.
Android tablets are awful and haven't sold first because of few decent tablet apps, lower quality hardware, especially screens, and a poor UI. This is why Google had to take the extraordinary step of competing against their own partners in making a Nexus tablet.
Also keep in mind that the only Android manufacturer making money is Samsung. The rest are losing money. That goes a long way to explain bloatware, minimal upgrades, poor quality hardware, and service and support.
Android is mostly succeeding because of low cost phones. But revenues for everyone involved in Android, including Google, are very low compared to Apple devices, apps, and accessories.
Google makes more money from Google Services on iOS devices than from Android. That's pretty sad.
For Apple the device is the product they are selling. They break even on apps because of the cost of the app infrastructure they provide. For Google you are the product they are selling which explains why they roll over for the carriers and manufacturers to the detriment of Android users.
Your average user cares about price a lot and even though Apple easily competes price wise with the latest Android phones and tablets the latest Android devices drop in price very quickly and Apple's don't until a new version comes out.
I've had Android and iPhones since the beginning of each btw. Right now I'm using an iPhone 4S and a Samsung Galaxy S III. I've used handheld devices in general long before the Palm and Windows CE handhelds.

I haven't used any Apple products so I can't comment on how to make your Android device more like Apple.

My impression, though, is that Apple has a much more controlled, standards-based environment which results in overall higher quality and more robust applications. And there's the simplicity and ease of use at the cost of flexibility.

Android is kind of the opposite, which is a good thing and a bad thing. Fragmentation is a problem. Too many devices and OS versions for developers to test. Far fewer accessories because manufacturers put different kinds of connections all over the place. Dodgy apps in the Play Store. Lots of games and not so many productivity apps. (Maybe that's the same for Apple, don't know, and besides it's hard to be productive on a phone or a tablet anyway - they're for consumption, not creation.)

On the other hand, the wild nature of the open source community makes for lots of interesting stuff going on. If you don't like the way your device does something, odds are that someone else had the same complaint and made an app to address it. There are dozens of apps to do the same things different ways. The trick is to pick the one that works best for you. Look at the screen shots and read the reviews. The barriers to entry for developers seem much lower, and the tools seem easier to work with. This makes for a lot of activity, but also a lot of junk so you have to be able to sort it all out.

And I have had three Android phones and one tablet (Xoom wifi) and never even had the need or desire to root or install modded ROMs. But there are plenty of geeks who love to do that stuff, and you get advancements filtering up to the real world for normal people as a result. That will never happen with a closed system.

I would also note that Android is relatively new, and as it matures I'm guessing we will see more and more quality apps, and more apps ported over from iOS, etc. (One problem, though, is that Apple has set the expectation of only paying 99 cents or $3 or whatever for an app. Hard for a small developer with a good idea to make a living at that rate.)

So anyway, my advice would be give it some time, and get familiar with the Play Store to find apps for customizing your device and experience. And look at the screen shots and reviews before wasting your time. Also, trying out apps is easy. You can install them, launch them, play around, and uninstall them right from the Play Store app if you don't like them . You can even get an instant refund for paid apps if you do it within 15 minutes or whatever the time limit is.

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If you had one before then looks like you went from a Benz to a Fiat. It's not the price that matters, but someone's preference. The nexus 7 is probably one of the better android tablets out on the market right now, but cheaper than most of the ones it beats.

fguills

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Developers make money on iOS because of volume. The Android app story is pathetic. Choice, quality and just finding an app. Plus many fewer people actually willing to pay for an app. There are many same apps that on Android have reduced functionality and look worse.
I will only buy an Android device that is either a nexus or with an unlocked bootloader. if an iOS device doesn't do what you want then you can jailbreak. Fewer people do these days though because Apple has added features that people used to jailbreak for.
The people who complain about Apple being a closed system and Android supposedly one can generally give few examples of what is good or bad about either or how it actually affects them.
You really want to root an Android device just to get rid of the silly amount of bloatware the carriers and manufacturers install. Apple doesn't allow carriers to do this.
Android tablets are awful and haven't sold first because of few decent tablet apps, lower quality hardware, especially screens, and a poor UI. This is why Google had to take the extraordinary step of competing against their own partners in making a Nexus tablet.
Also keep in mind that the only Android manufacturer making money is Samsung. The rest are losing money. That goes a long way to explain bloatware, minimal upgrades, poor quality hardware, and service and support.
Android is mostly succeeding because of low cost phones. But revenues for everyone involved in Android, including Google, are very low compared to Apple devices, apps, and accessories.
Google makes more money from Google Services on iOS devices than from Android. That's pretty sad.
For Apple the device is the product they are selling. They break even on apps because of the cost of the app infrastructure they provide. For Google you are the product they are selling which explains why they roll over for the carriers and manufacturers to the detriment of Android users.
Your average user cares about price a lot and even though Apple easily competes price wise with the latest Android phones and tablets the latest Android devices drop in price very quickly and Apple's don't until a new version comes out.
I've had Android and iPhones since the beginning of each btw. Right now I'm using an iPhone 4S and a Samsung Galaxy S III. I've used handheld devices in general long before the Palm and Windows CE handhelds.

If Android is so awful why are you in here for???

fguills

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Kind of funny that the 200$ Nexus has more powerful hardware than the most expensive IPad. Tells you how big a ripoff the IPad is, seeing as even the 10 inch Nexus is likely to be 299$.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure that homescreen rotate is locked out because they intended on this specific device to be held upright and viewed like a portrait. Most likely from a usability standpoint due to screen size and screen resolution. I could all but guarantee you that if a Nexus 10 came out it would have auto rotate out of the box, but not because people complained about the N7. Because with a bigger screen it's far more usable in landscape mode.

Are you able to use the browser in landscape?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk