I guess Corning Fit Glass is not the same as Gorilla Glass

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I don't usually do screen protectors because on my other devices they have proven unnecessary but I will probably look into one for my Nexus 7 now.

kdskinner

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So, I see a Zagg shield in the future for mine too then. I love Zagg products, they are almost indestructible. Just ordered a Zagg skin for mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: skesler89

eneisch

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Disappointing to hear. Amazon Kindle Fire uses Gorilla Glass and when I sold mine to get my N7 the screen was pristine. Guess the glass was one of the places Google/Asus saved money to keep the price down.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Using it...

Anyway, don't misunderstand me. I'm not dissing it; it's that as I expected it to be as resistant as Gorilla Glass I know some others think the same. Again, I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for about a year and that thing hasn't even a single scratch though I've abused it (even falling asleep with it on my hand and having it hit the floor it doesn't scratch). Meanwhile I just got the Nexus 7 on Friday and it has two or three tiny scratches.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
A fingernail is around 2.5 on the Mohs hardness scale. Ordinary glass is around 5.5.

If fingernails scratch Corning glass...
Glass: You're Doing It Wrong

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Then how are they scratching them? They aren't using diamonds for a stylus I assume. Although that would be cool. :)

I'm assuming the screen isn't glass but I don't know. I do know that with plastics you have a wide range of scratch resistance. Some plastic lenses are scratched by paper towels which would most certainly be a 1 or less on the mohs scale.

in short, what is this corning glass and how tough is it really.

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is made by Corning Glass. Go to there website and there is a bunch of information on it.

Google comment. "Update: Actually, there's no Gorilla Glass in the Nexus. It's just scratch resistant glass, Google told us."

I can't find any information on the "Fit Glass by Corning". I guess that is where the details on hardness etc will be.

Last edited:

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Asus Nexus 7 page says "Corning Fit Glass.

http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Nexus/Nexus_7/#specifications

Some of us thought that it was a Gorilla Glass variant. From my experience I guess that just means that the glass on the screen was somehow cut, hence "fit" by Corning.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Any cheap, but good screen protectors? I can't see myself shelling out $30 for a screen protector.

I don't know if this helps but Incipio has always included screen protectors for free in all the cases I've bought from them. Those protectors have been great quality and my favorites of all time. I'm waiting to see if they release a Feather case for the N7. Until then I'm being super careful. I've had all 3 iPads and never had a single scratch anywhere on them so if this thing gets a scratch I'm gonna be upset.