Gray, flickering, terrible screen? Share your story in here.

Rizon216

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine flickers when auto-brightness is adjusting. I think it's normal and is just the Nexus trying to figure what the optimal brightness level is. I think the only reason I notice it is because it's not as instantaneous as it is on my Galaxy Nexus and was on my Droid X.

If I turn auto-brightness off or it isn't changing the brightness, the screen is fine.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I was looking forward to this device big time. Probably for the same reason the rest of us gadget geeks wanted it, but there are way too many complaints for a new launch. Starting with the whole mess that google made with shipping. Since Google is releasing the Nexus brand to others, I may just wait and see what "The Others" (as in Lost) do for us. I'm hoping for a HTC branded Nexus or Samsung. The only thing I am still finding appealing about this, the price point. Cannot be beat.

Look at every single device forum on Android Central right after launch. All you see are problem threads... you'd think there wasn't a single quality android device in existence! Lol, while I'm not doubting the issues, the point is that more people come on to complain when there's a problem than to praise everything working right. Couple hundred thousand of these things or more have gone out and if you see a hundred faulty units on here you have to realize that's a fraction of a percent... just offering some perspective :)

Reactions: paul-c

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Someone on the XDA forums noticed something about the over saturated washed out screen. He noticed it happens after playing videos.
Screen washed out after playing video - xda-developers

I tested this out and the video looked fine (the Transformer movie), but as soon as I went back to the home screen I noticed it looked even more washed out and oversaturated than before. Going to other apps also looked over saturated.

He said shutting off the screen helps. But for me the over saturated washed out look doesn't seem to totally go away though after watching a video (though it does decrease a lot after a while). It seems I need to reboot the tablet, then the colors look good again.

cemysh33

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Mine is doing the same. I contacted Asus support and all they had me do is a hard reset, which i didnt do bec I knew it wouldnt fix anything. Then he said that I would need to send it in for repair. Thats crazy, I responded that I could return it and buy another by the time they "fix" my N7. What is the contact info for Google?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it looked even more washed out and oversaturated than before.
Umm, that's an oxymoron there. The image is either oversaturated (i.e. colors are unnaturally rich and vivid) or it's washed-out (i.e. lacking in proper color richness, like Saving Private Ryan, though technically that look is "desaturated"), it can't be both.

Look at the picture of the girl in the OP. It's not as clear as in person, but compare the colors of her skirt (red vs. orangish-gray), blouse (deep purple vs. grayish lighter purple) and jacket (black vs. gray) to see how bad it typically is. I'm a photographer and am a maven for accurate colors (I turned my Epic 4G Touch's display to Movie mode in order to get the most natural-looking color) and the Nexus is very problematic.

The fact that the colors keep shifting make no sense unless there's a driver issue between modes. Even the cheapest commodity LCD monitor doesn't wildly vary in consistency like this. My g/f bought an Acer monitor for her computer and I took 5 minutes messing with the settings before declaring, "This is junk. You need to get something else and better." (She ended up with a Dell that cost less and was miles better.) Displays are either good or bad, not both. That the N7's screen is having these problems is either due to poor LCD consistency or a problem with the Tegra 3 chips that run the whole shebang.

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Look at every single device forum on Android Central right after launch. All you see are problem threads... you'd think there wasn't a single quality android device in existence! Lol, while I'm not doubting the issues, the point is that more people come on to complain when there's a problem than to praise everything working right. Couple hundred thousand of these things or more have gone out and if you see a hundred faulty units on here you have to realize that's a fraction of a percent... just offering some perspective :)

I realize this. There are problems with most new devices of any kind. Just seems to me that this product launch is suffering far more than the norm. I look at not only androidcentral, I look at all venues, it's what I do, some people read politics I like to read about technology. What I was trying to get at, is how complacent people are about spending 200+ and seeing it as ok simply because it's their fave new toy. The entire launch of this product has been a joke and now to see this many issues, so soon after launch, not a good thing. The only good thing about this device thus far is the price point, beyond that I am not getting the warm fuzzies from any of it. I will probably look at this device again in the future after most of its kinks have been ironed out and Asus not rush the product out the production line before it was ready. They had no one else to compete against it right now, they could have taken a bit longer and produced a better product.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Umm, that's an oxymoron there. The image is either oversaturated (i.e. colors are unnaturally rich and vivid) or it's washed-out (i.e. lacking in proper color richness, like Saving Private Ryan, though technically that look is "desaturated"), it can't be both.

Look at the picture of the girl in the OP. It's not as clear as in person, but compare the colors of her skirt (red vs. orangish-gray), blouse (deep purple vs. grayish lighter purple) and jacket (black vs. gray) to see how bad it typically is. I'm a photographer and am a maven for accurate colors (I turned my Epic 4G Touch's display to Movie mode in order to get the most natural-looking color) and the Nexus is very problematic.

The fact that the colors keep shifting make no sense unless there's a driver issue between modes. Even the cheapest commodity LCD monitor doesn't wildly vary in consistency like this. My g/f bought an Acer monitor for her computer and I took 5 minutes messing with the settings before declaring, "This is junk. You need to get something else and better." (She ended up with a Dell that cost less and was miles better.) Displays are either good or bad, not both. That the N7's screen is having these problems is either due to poor LCD consistency or a problem with the Tegra 3 chips that run the whole shebang.

I'm surprised you didn't pick on my grammar and spelling while you were at it. Hopefully the intent of what I was trying to explain came across. :p

However you want to describe it, the screen looks bad after playing videos and for me doesn't seem to completely clear up until rebooting.

I think the display is fine, because it looks good after rebooting and seems to stay fine until playing a video. So I'm gonna stay hopeful that this can be resolved with an update.

PS. Of course there are others that probably do have bad screens, flickering, dead pixels, etc.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

The Razr Maxx forums were lit up with praise for the device before ICS came along. Seeing all the good comments vs the bad ones along with interaction at the store are simply tools prospective buyers use to help them in the decision. Sure you'll see more of the complaints but you can also see which devices have FEWER complaints than others. All things being relative. Don't discount the input of the complainant because they are vital to our little Android ecosystem.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

cemysh33

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I turned off the auto brightness and the issue went away, hopefully this will be fixed in an update. Never had this issue with any of my phones.

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Someone on the XDA forums noticed something about the over saturated washed out screen. He noticed it happens after playing videos.
Screen washed out after playing video - xda-developers

I tested this out and the video looked fine (the Transformer movie), but as soon as I went back to the home screen I noticed it looked even more washed out and oversaturated than before. Going to other apps also looked over saturated.

He said shutting off the screen helps. But for me the over saturated washed out look doesn't seem to totally go away though after watching a video (though it does decrease a lot after a while). It seems I need to reboot the tablet, then the colors look good again.

Have you tried a Factory Reset?? Often that simple action alone will resolve a lot of issues with new devices.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised you didn't pick on my grammar and spelling while you were at it. Hopefully the intent of what I was trying to explain came across. :p

However you want to describe it, the screen looks bad after playing videos and for me doesn't seem to completely clear up until rebooting.

I think the display is fine, because it looks good after rebooting and seems to stay fine until playing a video. So I'm gonna stay hopeful that this can be resolved with an update.

PS. Of course there are others that probably do have bad screens, flickering, dead pixels, etc.

After reading your posts on this matter, I'm pretty sure you have a malfunctioning screen. As soon as there are more nexi in stock I would have it replaced. I never have had washed out looking colors, a flickering screen, or changes in quality between switching apps/watching movies. My screen looks absolutely great. Not as good as my One X, but really good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cammykool

Resident *****
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine seems to have a few flashing pixels ONLY WHEN ON TAPTALK.ran a dead pixel checker and it passed. So idk. Must just be tt

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
My screen also is fantastic. no issues whatsoever.

I think that like any new device (the RAZR MAXX was not a new device - just a RAZR with a Godzilla battery) there are a small number of lemons in the production run. And of course those who get them go post about it on forums making the issues look bigger than they are.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
My screen also is fantastic. no issues whatsoever.

I think that like any new device (the RAZR MAXX was not a new device - just a RAZR with a Godzilla battery) there are a small number of lemons in the production run. And of course those who get them go post about it on forums making the issues look bigger than they are.

The issues are plenty big, just only for like 0.0001 percent of people who are unlucky enough to get a faulty unit.

Last edited:

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a Factory Reset?? Often that simple action alone will resolve a lot of issues with new devices.
I already tried that and it's as bad as ever. I can understand that fixing a software glitch - my phone's upgrade to ICS was a mess until I nuked it and started over - but hardware problems won't fix that way.
The issues are plenty big just only for like 0.0001 percent of people who are unlucky enough to get a faulty unit.
Exactly. Back in the Eighties, when American cars were crap and Japanese rides were eating them alive, I read a piece with the Chairman of either Honda or Toyota talking about quality. He said that even if the overall run is 99.9% defect-free, to the purchaser of one of those relatively few that are bad, the defect rate is 100%. That's why the snotty, "My unit was OK. Don't know what you're whining about," comments are so unhelpful and rude.

There is clearly a quality issue with the screens. There are simply too many people reporting similar issues - glass lifting, image retention, poor color, flickering, dead pixels - to blithely blow off the reports. Maybe it's only a couple of percent of all the units out there, but for the hundreds or thousands that represents, those are people experiencing a 100% failure rate.

Sh*t happens and with a new product launch, the quality sometimes isn't as good as later revisions will be, but my concern has shifted from the terrible screen my N7 arrived with but the absolutely abysmal lack of service I'm getting from Google Play in resolving the issue. I have spent 90 minutes over two calls waiting on hold to explain what's going on and been promised a follow-up and after 4 days, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. I have a defective device and no means to get it replaced.

Google is smoking crack and meth together if they think they have a prayer of competing with the A-Teams of Apple and Amazon when their "customer service" consists of making customers wait forever to have nothing happen. I have literally wasted $287 and a couple hours of my time with nothing to show for it and no sign of being remediation occurring. :mad:

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I already tried that and it's as bad as ever. I can understand that fixing a software glitch - my phone's upgrade to ICS was a mess until I nuked it and started over - but hardware problems won't fix that way.
Exactly. Back in the Eighties, when American cars were crap and Japanese rides were eating them alive, I read a piece with the Chairman of either Honda or Toyota talking about quality. He said that even if the overall run is 99.9% defect-free, to the purchaser of one of those relatively few that are bad, the defect rate is 100%. That's why the snotty, "My unit was OK. Don't know what you're whining about," comments are so unhelpful and rude.

There is clearly a quality issue with the screens. There are simply too many people reporting similar issues - glass lifting, image retention, poor color, flickering, dead pixels - to blithely blow off the reports. Maybe it's only a couple of percent of all the units out there, but for the hundreds or thousands that represents, those are people experiencing a 100% failure rate.

Sh*t happens and with a new product launch, the quality sometimes isn't as good as later revisions will be, but my concern has shifted from the terrible screen my N7 arrived with but the absolutely abysmal lack of service I'm getting from Google Play in resolving the issue. I have spent 90 minutes over two calls waiting on hold to explain what's going on and been promised a follow-up and after 4 days, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. I have a defective device and no means to get it replaced.

Google is smoking crack and meth together if they think they have a prayer of competing with the A-Teams of Apple and Amazon when their "customer service" consists of making customers wait forever to have nothing happen. I have literally wasted $287 and a couple hours of my time with nothing to show for it and no sign of being remediation occurring. :mad:

You'll get a replacement eventually. It may take a while, Google is swamped ATM and doing a piss poor job of handling it. I know it's not much consolation, but when you finally get a good unit, it'll be worth the wait, believe me.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I can tell that the overall hardware is slicker than slick. When the screen becomes usable and I've loaded apps and done stuff, it makes my GS2 seem like a dog, which only makes the fact I can barely use it and Google's dragging ass all the more frustrating. Try the Glowball demo that was used to introduce the Tegra 3 and realize there was a time where something like that took a room full of rendering computers hours per frame to create and a $200 device can now do it in real time.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
You'll get a replacement eventually. It may take a while, Google is swamped ATM and doing a piss poor job of handling it. I know it's not much consolation, but when you finally get a good unit, it'll be worth the wait, believe me.

Exactly. The issue will get handled. And hopefully Google will learn that they need to be staffed up - I think they badly underestimated the sales volume and did not staff up for the hit the N7 is.

And really what exactly is accomplished that is positive by venting on a forum? Nothing. All it does is create an illusion of an overall defective product when in reality the number of bad units is likely well under 1%. It won't make Google move faster or the issue magically disappear. Google can only move as fast as their resourcing and staffing levels let them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech