Chrome browser really lags, what are you using?

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
As it says in the title, Chrome lags terribly and I am pretty shocked they shipped Chrome with the nexus 7 especially because the Stock Android browser is so good. Also, and few people know this, Google actually made a ton of improvements to the stock android browser in Jellybean. Its way smoother in scrolling and pinch to zoom than Chrome and I actually get a progress bar so I know how far a long a page has loaded.

Anyway, my question is. For those of you not using Chrome, what browser are you using on your new Nexus 7 or any tablet for that matter? What is a great browser for a tablet?

I'm currently using Dolphin HD which is okay but pinch to zoom doesn't work.

EnDroidable

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Im currently using chrome on the tablet, but what is the stock android browser called? im new android so I pretty much know nothing of these devices...

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Odd. Chrome has been very responsive for me; heck, I consider it a joy to use! I do miss the cool Quick Controls feature of the stock browser that drives its excellent full-screen mode.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I thought Chrome as the stock browser on Jellybean? Where do I find this stock browser?

Chrome is the stock browser. Though I heard that Google will allow the old stock browser to be downloaded from Play later (this kinda surprises me if true).

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've found Chrome to be very sluggish on my Nexus 7 too. I was wondering if the T30L SoC was the problem. I'll switch to Dolphin today and see if that helps.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It certainly does suck. On more complex pages scrolling and zooming are choppy or just totally nonresponsive. It is a huge disappointment coming from iPad. It also seems to perform much better when I use it on my phone, which I don't understand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: trunkmonkey1972

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Google removed the true "stock" aosp browser in favor of Chrome.. which I also hate. I believe there's a zip floating around xda I heard of the stock browser that can be flashed. I also have the apk someone can sideload if they want. I'll post it if there's any interest... I can't guarantee it will work perfectly as sideloading it won't let it run as a system app (which it might not need anyway) but also you might not be able to sync your bookmarks on it. Won't cause any harm though, if it doesn't work just uninstall it.

EDIT: Here it is.. report back with results :)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/BrowserGoogle.apk

Klotera

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Chrome is inconsistent. Fast in some places, but very laggy in others (unfortunately, AC forums falls in this category).

I'd use dolphin hd if pinch-zoom worked. That's my go-to on my phone (actually, the beta with dolphin engine).

So, stuck with Chrome for now.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I read on XDA that just flashing the APK doesn't work.

Though I'm not planning to confirm that or not, since I don't think that browser is any improvement either.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Really? I find the googlebrowser works worlds better than chrome. Its much faster and more consistent, and I get addicted to having the thumb/quick controls :)
To each his own tho!

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Chrome is inconsistent. Fast in some places, but very laggy in others (unfortunately, AC forums falls in this category).

For at least the past three months all of AC has been pretty much totally unusable on any device I use that isn't a full fledged PC. If it wasn't for tapatalk I would have abandoned this site long ago.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

phatboy29m

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. I thought I was the only one who has experienced this! AC has been almost unusable for me without the app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

phoenix623

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I'd use dolphin hd if pinch-zoom worked. That's my go-to on my phone (actually, the beta with dolphin engine).

So, stuck with Chrome for now.
Latest update of Dolphin HD supports pinch-in zoom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1