Faulty Nexus 7 screen - arrived today (UK)

nickby66

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Ordered my Nexus 7 16Gb from Google Play a few weeks back, I live in the UK so probably one of the first to receive one.

Got it this morning, all looked good. However, when I opened it up I noticed the glass screen is not stuck down on the left hand side by about 2 mm, and it can be pushed down to the main body.

Have been on the support line to Google for around 20 mins, but they are experiencing 'high call volumes', I wonder if others in the UK have had a similar issue?

Have emailed them direct, but no answer yet, will try again a bit later, but at 12p per minute will end up paying nearly as much as the Tablet to get an answer!

Disappointed (so far!), really like the idea of Jelly Bean, as I am a MAC user (not iPad), and wanted to give these Tablets a chance

Any one else with these faults?

Cheers

Nick (Cambridge, UK)
:'(

SherbetDibDab

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Ordered my Nexus 7 16Gb from Google Play a few weeks back, I live in the UK so probably one of the first to receive one.

Got it this morning, all looked good. However, when I opened it up I noticed the glass screen is not stuck down on the left hand side by about 2 mm, and it can be pushed down to the main body.

Have been on the support line to Google for around 20 mins, but they are experiencing 'high call volumes', I wonder if others in the UK have had a similar issue?

Have emailed them direct, but no answer yet, will try again a bit later, but at 12p per minute will end up paying nearly as much as the Tablet to get an answer!

Disappointed (so far!), really like the idea of Jelly Bean, as I am a MAC user (not iPad), and wanted to give these Tablets a chance

Any one else with these faults?

Cheers

Nick (Cambridge, UK)
:'(

Still waiting for mine, when did you get your tracking email and how long do the UK deliverys take? I guess this gives more evidence to the thoery that this is a product problem, a couple of people from the US in another thread thought that this might of been just a specific batch of tablets effected but my guess is that it could be a lot of them

gburns

May 3, 2010
Visit site
known issue if you've been reading the threads. I know that the LCD is glued to the glass, a new process that is being seen in the industry to help save thickness I believe. It was reported on a fixit site that graded the N7 and other devices on how easy they are to fix. They noted that this technique makes it harder to replace a smashed glass cause you have to get the lcd too.

damo

#teamandroid
May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is why I want to buy one in-store. If I have a problem with it, I'll return it to the store within minutes of me picking it up and ask them to swap it

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
This is why I want to buy one in-store. If I have a problem with it, I'll return it to the store within minutes of me picking it up and ask them to swap it

Agreed. And after this whole mess that Google has caused with shipping and now the low quality of this device, I doubt I will be pre ordering anything from Play. Just doesn't make sense. I'm reading stories of people being told they have to wait for a few days call back to start the process of returning the device. Why? Why cannot it be done during the one call that people already waited well over 20 mins on hold?

nexussucks

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
at least 70% of my touchscreen doesnt work, its near impossible to unlock it. and i have the same issue on the left. so annoyed. Where did you even find a phone number to call for them in the uk?

U2Bono269

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the screen issue, but just barely. It doesn't stick up, but there's a small area that feels spongy and not as solidly anchored as the rest. I don't have to push it down because there's nothing to push down, but I can feel it nonetheless.

U2Bono269

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Id' also add that if you apply pressure (just a little) on both the top of the screen in the problem area AND the bezel just to the side, and hold for about 30 seconds or so, it does a good job of reducing the sponginess.

chipwager

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Same issue with my N7. Called Google today and the rep said they will replace my tablet. They're contacting the warranty/replacement dept. and I'll be receiving an email in the next few days. According to the rep - it will be replaced at no cost to me. Google will be sending a new device with a return label for the defective device. Call time with Google Play cx service was quick - only about 10 min total. My advice for all of you is to call and get yourself a new tablet that's defect free. Best of luck.

nickby66

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
After a day's trying (I live in the UK), got through to Google support, was it seemed going to the US. They will be emailing me in the next 24hrs and will send a replacement..I just hope its not the same defect as the one I have now.

Wished I brought from a store so I can check it out myself before paying for it :-[

nijella

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I received mine yesterday and was dismayed to find that I've got the same problem with the screen not sticking down properly.

My question is: is it likely to get worse? At the moment, the tablet is usable (no phantom typing or unresponsive areas). Problem is, I know it's there now, so I won't be able to ignore it. But reading about other people's experiences with Google's customer services, I'm wondering if I should just try to live with it...

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I received mine yesterday and was dismayed to find that I've got the same problem with the screen not sticking down properly.

My question is: is it likely to get worse? At the moment, the tablet is usable (no phantom typing or unresponsive areas). Problem is, I know it's there now, so I won't be able to ignore it. But reading about other people's experiences with Google's customer services, I'm wondering if I should just try to live with it...

I have this issue on my device (as do many others on this forum). I think I will try to live with it. At least in the US, there is a one year warranty, so if it gets worse or develops a problem, then I will take care of it at that time. At least that's my thinking at the moment....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

rbpeake

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have just a bit of screen lift up, which does not impact tablet functionality. I agree with mysterygirl, to wait and see if it gets worse. Just a bit of an annoyance!

Charlotte McKenna

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 7 is 32gb when I got it had a tiny bit of screen lift, I didn't think anything of it and didn't wanna wreck my warranty with car phone warehouse uk so left it. But now anytime pressure is put on the edge of the left screen any black on the screen turns red. If I put it in my college bag in a case and inside a neopreen case (if it rains my bag gets damp) and I'll pull it out it'll be red. Its use-able and the screen works its just highly annoying

Attachments

• IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0125.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads