Has anyone figured out the Navigation app?

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
It works ok if I plan the route at home (on wifi) and DON"T MISS A TURN. I downloaded some maps in the Maps app because the Navigation app doesn't have any features. I haven't been able to test it myself but some people have said that the two apps don't communicate.

I've been advised to buy the Garmin software.

Anyone else have info to share? I don't think I'll use GPS very often but when I do need it chances are I won't be at home. Stopping at McDonalds to download a route or recalculate would be annoying.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I just confirmed it. The Nav app is useless. It can't read the cached maps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That's correct. Navigation will only work with an internet connection. Either buy a stand-alone GPS navigation program, or tether the tablet to a phone so you have data. Unfortunately, those are really the only options.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I just confirmed it. The Nav app is useless. It can't read the cached maps.

This has always been the case. The cached maps are there to give you a reference. They won't give you directions. The engine which maps out your nav directions is in the cloud, not on your phone.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I got my N7 yesterday. I borrowed my girlfriend's Sprint hotspot and tried out the N7's Navigation app driving back to my place across town. While tethered, it worked as well as Navigation on my Galaxy Nexus. It looks like you need a data connection.

Reactions: dougiefresh66

Deradorn

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Try navfree from the app store you have to download the States you need ahead of time while you have a connection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Am I the only one that thinks that's insane. Why would Google put two apps on here when the Nav app is what people will want, but it doesn't work. Telling me to keep wifi in the car won't do it. I can buy a GPS unit for less than what wifi tethering costs.

Navfree is OK but it's database is borked. My town is listed 4 times and through random luck I found the one that actually has addresses. Going by that I learned to choose the town with a number in front of it for it to work. It does use a google search engine to find locations so if you find what you want on wifi then it should in theory work well on the road.

I tried a different one but it was deceptive. It was supposed to have a free trial but it kept saying I wasn't authorized. I think it was syrgic or something like that.

Maybe I just need to get the Garmen app. I'm told they have the best maps.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Do none of you have a smart phone? Navigation works just fine on my Galaxy Nexus phone. Why were you expecting a wifi-only product to be a good navigation device?

Using a smart phone is a lot cheaper than plunking down money for a Garmin.

If you have an Android smart phone then just download the FoxFi app and get free wifi tethering. You can then use your Nexus if you like.

Reactions: bacalao

paa79594

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was expecting it to work since all GPS devices work on cached maps. No I don't have a smartphone. I don't need one as I have a nexus.

I'm not sure you are understanding... you need data in order to get GPS.. N7 is WiFi.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure you are understanding... you need data in order to get GPS.. N7 is WiFi.

No you don't. GPS works stand alone. The NAVIGATION requires a data connection. The GPS in maps still works fine. It'll show you where you are on the map, just like any other GPS (as long as you have the map cached). It just won't give you turn by turn directions.

paa79594

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No you don't. GPS works stand alone. The NAVIGATION requires a data connection. The GPS in maps still works fine. It'll show you where you are on the map, just like any other GPS (as long as you have the map cached). It just won't give you turn by turn directions.

You know what I meant.. but regardless, there needs to be a data connection.

pete_lockwood

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Do none of you have a smart phone? Navigation works just fine on my Galaxy Nexus phone. Why were you expecting a wifi-only product to be a good navigation device?

srsly?

Stand-alone GPS is effectively the equivalent of downloading a map to the Nexus (or would be if Google sorted out the software). Stand-alone GPS doesn't have a 3/4G signal but copes with giving directions just fine.

Or how about you're going abroad, taking your Nexus but your cell phone doesn't work (obv) so you download maps local to the area you'll be traveling in except, again, the maps are basically useless.

Or you travel out of cell range (it's happened to me and I was using my phone for GPS directions).

The sensible question is: with downloaded maps, why would you NOT expect it to be a good navigation device? It's purely a software decision - they could do it but they haven't (yet?).

Reactions: MantisToboggan

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Stand alone GPS units don't require WiFi since they store the map. Navfree does this as well. Google just needs to fix their app to do the same.

kgi4

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
wellll .... the smartphone has a much smaller screen - for those of us who need reading glasses sometimes, the larger, NEXUS7 screen with high resolution is a much better for looking at maps

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried reading the n7 outside. I can't see it. I can easily see the screen of my bionic outside. So much for 7 inch GPS

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow. That's ridiculous. So the point behind downloading a map is .. what? I guess you can use it like a fold-out paper map :confused:

Well when it comes to Nav, it's not a matter of the maps being the problem. It's the engine -- the software that does the nav function - isn't on the device. It's in the cloud.

Downloadable maps give you the offline mapping capability which isn't the same as navigation...