Headphone Problems

iamhephzibah

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I got my N7 last night. YAY!!!!!!!!!

Now there seems to be a problem with it. I was trying really hard to put it down last night to get some shut eye I thought "I'll listen to some Google Play Music" since I didn't want to wake the wife up I figured "better grab them headphones"

The plug was strangely stiff but I realized it's a new item plus my old iPod was similar and I just pushed item further. As the music started loading and playing sound was coming out of one ear "that's odd" I thought to myself. "Maybe because my headphones have a mic on them and it has that extra band on the 3.5mm pug" I switched to my Sony over ear headphones with no mic, no change still sounded the same. I thought I would try a third set of headphones so I wet to my computer and unplugged my Turtle Beaches.

"For sure the expensive headphones will work" and no CHANGE. Now I HATE, wait, hate is not meaningful enought , In the words of Dr. Cox "I super Mega Loath" this problem and hate using a device with headphones like that.

What should I do? Contact Google, have them RMA it and wait another 2 weeks to get my N7 back? Or should i just stick it out and never ever use headphones?

By the way I did pay $200 for this and the headpones don't work!!!!!

Noah0504

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So I got my N7 last night. YAY!!!!!!!!!

Now there seems to be a problem with it. I was trying really hard to put it down last night to get some shut eye I thought "I'll listen to some Google Play Music" since I didn't want to wake the wife up I figured "better grab them headphones"

The plug was strangely stiff but I realized it's a new item plus my old iPod was similar and I just pushed item further. As the music started loading and playing sound was coming out of one ear "that's odd" I thought to myself. "Maybe because my headphones have a mic on them and it has that extra band on the 3.5mm pug" I switched to my Sony over ear headphones with no mic, no change still sounded the same. I thought I would try a third set of headphones so I wet to my computer and unplugged my Turtle Beaches.

"For sure the expensive headphones will work" and no CHANGE. Now I HATE, wait, hate is not meaningful enought , In the words of Dr. Cox "I super Mega Loath" this problem and hate using a device with headphones like that.

What should I do? Contact Google, have them RMA it and wait another 2 weeks to get my N7 back? Or should i just stick it out and never ever use headphones?

By the way I did pay $200 for this and the headpones don't work!!!!!
I'd at least contact them. If there isn't any troubleshooting they can offer, then I guess you'll be forced to have them RMA it. But not having the ability to use headphones doesn't outweigh having to wait for another one.

iamhephzibah

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd at least contact them. If there isn't any troubleshooting they can offer, then I guess you'll be forced to have them RMA it. But not having the ability to use headphones doesn't outweigh having to wait for another one.

Yeah that was my main thing... Really? Am I really going to miss one headphone. Its not like i can walk down the street listening to Google Play Music anyway. That is why i have a smartphone.

Lastly if I ever do decide to sell, it would degrade the value.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
So I tried mine this morning after seeing this thread and found the same issue until I realized I had to ram it in HARD until it made a loud click noise. That's the hardest I've ever had to push in a headphone jack.

I'm using SuperFi.5's but I don't think it that matters. Pretty generic 3.5mm connector on the end of it...

Reactions: Pwersha

richo123

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Same experience here I panicked then found this thread by google. I also then found you need to push it in hard and you will hear a click. Worked great after that using my ipod nano headset. Incidentally I had this "problem" with the nano also and took it back to an Apple Store where they replaced it. Happened again so I googled and found I was not pushing it in hard enough. Felt very stupid after that. :'(

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Same thing as well. Just needed to give it a little more pressure and the jack went in another notch and fixed the sound.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
nearly panicked? Lol you DID panic. The headphone jack is very tight

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem as well. Had to give the headphone a good shove until it clicked. Then it worked perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

firenation112

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
nearly panicked? Lol you DID panic. The headphone jack is very tight

Lol yep us right I did panic I taught let's watch the transformers movie and I plugged in the headphones and taught that weird I can't hear anything its probably my headphones not the tablet and then I taught I'm sure someone posted about it on android central if there is a problem with the device! And here I am looool

iamhephzibah

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Nope... Not nine sigh! I would have to send it back to Asus to get it fixed. I have to pay shipping there and back plus like 7 to 10 days with out. Good thing I already saw transforners. I don't think I will be sending back.

wstdonwiteout

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Same problem. No matter how hard I push I am only getting one channel of audio through through the headphones. Interesting thing is that if I just slightly push in the headphones (before it clicks) and apply some upward pressure on the connector i can actually get both channels to work briefly. Nonetheless this is too annoying and inconsistent to really be considered an effective solution. Ill be RMA'ing for an exchange.

I guess this one of the parts Google/Asus cut corners on in order to keep this device < $200.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me.... I thought I had got a defective device...

JohnTN

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Same experience for me. I returned one as defective, then the second one wouldn't work either. My son Googled the problem and found a video showing how you had to push real hard to get the final click.

John

AgentBetlog

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I experienced the same the first time plugging in the jack. However, after that first time, I've noticed it's gotten much easier. Now, I no longer need to jam it in. Is this true for you guys as well? (It seems to be comparable with all of my other devices now.) I actually liked it super snug and now worry that it might get too loose over time...

TomBrooklyn

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. I bought the Nexus 7 on eBay and I thought I was going to have to return it. I've used a lot of headphones and headphone jacks, but never before did I have one that required that extra push to get it all the way in. It seems to work OK though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz