What is the 4 pin connector used for?

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
okay, but will it also digitize all your data information and send it back to company headquarters like the Apple dock presumably does??

---------- Post Merged at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:10 PM ----------

if so, I don't need it. I just picked up a stereo receiver, an old hometheater thing and plugged my nexus into it through the VCR outlet, and it works great. The dock would only save me one extra electrical cord.

Justinicus

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if anyone's puzzled out the use of the 4 pins? That is to say, which ones are for 5V+ and 5V-, and whether the remaining two are digital data or analog audio L+ & R+ (presumably with a combined ground)? I'd be happy to make my own dock, and am competent with a soldering iron... just not with a breadboard and ICs! It appears that Asus and/or Google doesn't have any interest in releasing a dock, so I guess I'm going to have to do it myself!

kryptonite_2448

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the Palm TouchStone would work? Similar to how we have our SIIIs charging off of them. I opted to actually run a really thin wire from the Pre back to the SIII and it would be possible for me to simply take my phone apart and see if it will charge.

I'd try, but not knowledgeable enough to know if I do it if I can electrocute something and fry the N7.
:confused:

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
With the Nexus 7 sitting in the dock one would still have access to the micro usb port. Supposedly this could be used for input or output if Google gives us the necessary software.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
With the Nexus 7 sitting in the dock one would still have access to the micro usb port. Supposedly this could be used for input or output if Google gives us the necessary software.

Why in the world is Asus/Google dragging their heels on this?

Sent from my Nexus 7

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Same reason Google/Samsung dragged their collective feet on the dock for the Galaxy Nexus. Who knows their reasoning.....

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Same reason Google/Samsung dragged their collective feet on the dock for the Galaxy Nexus. Who knows their reasoning.....

This makes no sense at all. The Nexus 7 is the bestselling Android tablet in history. They could have sold hundreds of thousands of landscape docks that took advantage of that 4-pin connector. I certainly would have bought one.

Instead, I bought some cheap portrait "dock" that sets the N7 precariously atop a micro-USB plug. It's neither secure nor sturdy.

Whether Google/Asus is guilty of poor planning, poor execution, or is just plain stupid remains to be seen.

Sent from my Nexus 7

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing a big hold up with the dock might have been the N7's inability to get the home screens in landscape mode. Now Google has fixed that, I would think the dock would be made available soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sniffels

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
with all of this confusion over landscape mode on the n7 and the rotatelock app (never heard of it), i've been using Nova Launcher for over a month (started on ADW EX, they all work fine) and have been enjoying landscape the entire time. as surprised as i am that google would include landscape this late into the game on the n7, i'd be even more surprised to find that they're holding back a dock over this

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing a big hold up with the dock might have been the N7's inability to get the home screens in landscape mode. Now Google has fixed that, I would think the dock would be made available soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

There never was a problem with the homescreen and landscape mode, it's just that Google chose not to enable it. If your Nexus 7 was rooted all you had to do was add a single line to your build.prop to enable it.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you know that this works by default in the JB update (4.1.2)? Rooting not needed. All orientations work for the homescreen (even with the microusb connector on the top - ie, upside down).

A few apps don't like it though - iirc, words with friends refuses to go upside down.