What is the 4 pin connector used for?

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It's either a connection for the rumored Google neural implant or a docking station.

hazy-1.jpg

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
They are pogo charging contacts. Makes using a dock (which I assume will be released in the future) much easier because it can charge just by making contact instead of using the micro USB port.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Same as galaxy nexus. Its for a dock that hopefully we will see sometime soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

If it's the same as the galaxy nexus then we will never see the dock. Yes I am still pissed about that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
If it's the same as the galaxy nexus then we will never see the dock. Yes I am still pissed about that.

The dock is out for the GNex. Just not for the Verizon model. The Nexus 7, being just one model, won't have that problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

uM-elo

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely buy a dock. I used to love the original iphone's dock, with a bigger device it should be even nicer.

C'mon google, I want my Nexus 7! And then release a smart cover and a dock, you'd have my money (insert Fry 'shut up and take my money' meme)

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
The lack of a landscape mode on the home screen makes me think Google is not in a hurry to release a dock...

Well, keep in mind that the stock Android launcher does support landscape mode. But just when connected to certain accessories. This even applied to the Nexus One. On the Nexus One, the launcher would switch to landscape when using the OEM car dock. And the Galaxy Nexus will switch to landscape when using HDMI output. It may even when in the official landscape dock but I can't confirm. So I wouldn't be shocked to see landscape orientation on the Nexus 7 if using a proper dock for it.

Deradorn

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping for a dock that has video out. I am not looking forward to paying for something I feel should have come out of the box, but I am at least hoping a dock will give us the option.

TheStereoMike

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, keep in mind that the stock Android launcher does support landscape mode. But just when connected to certain accessories. This even applied to the Nexus One. On the Nexus One, the launcher would switch to landscape when using the OEM car dock. And the Galaxy Nexus will switch to landscape when using HDMI output. It may even when in the official landscape dock but I can't confirm. So I wouldn't be shocked to see landscape orientation on the Nexus 7 if using a proper dock for it.

I see. Thanks for the info, I did not know that.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if it's technically possible for a N7 case to connect with the pogo contacts and route that to the back of the case? Sort of making a faux "power mat" situation?

Dareoth

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why the Nexus 7 has four pogo pins and the Galaxy Nexus has three pogo pins?

Probably nothing more exciting than for charging. Any dock would be expected to charge the device reasonably quickly and the extra pin is likely needed for that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

This is Asus were talking about they love docks that work. The extra pogo pin IMO is likely for USB\HDMI on the dock.

Last edited: