Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection?

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering because I have the $10 for Google Wallet and my only device with NFC is my Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I'm wondering because I have the $10 for Google Wallet and my only device with NFC is my Nexus 7.

Yes it will work. The money is for that device so even if you had say a galaxy nexus it would not be available on the galaxy. Once you use it the next time your on WiFi your account will update.

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes it will work. The money is for that device so even if you had say a galaxy nexus it would not be available on the galaxy. Once you use it the next time your on WiFi your account will update.

Awesome, thanks!

rmazzara

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue trying to use it without internet....
This morning I had it tethered just in case and it went through perfectly.
It was kinda cool - the people @ McDonald's were like - "Wha???"
then it paid for my Oatmeal and it was like "Oooooh"

But I went back for coffee mid day and it didn't like me as much without the tether.

So....I'm going to try again if you guy's say it works without internet.

JNM

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
You will not need the internet connection to use Google Wallet. However, you do need to connect and keep it updated regularly. That shouldn't be too difficult.

I used it yesterday evening with my Nexus 7. I did not tether to my Galaxy Nexus but I did make a purchase without any trouble.

Reactions: JesusG90

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I had an issue trying to use it without internet....
This morning I had it tethered just in case and it went through perfectly.
It was kinda cool - the people @ McDonald's were like - "Wha???"
then it paid for my Oatmeal and it was like "Oooooh"

But I went back for coffee mid day and it didn't like me as much without the tether.

So....I'm going to try again if you guy's say it works without internet.

Cool, let us know please.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Deradorn

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried out Google wallet today at McDonalds but since it was my first time trying it out I preconnected to their WiFi I was afraid to look like an idiot to people who had no idea what I was trying to do. It worked great and everyone was wondering how I paid. Let me know if it truly does work without WiFi if it does I might actually put some more money on here to use around town to freak people out.

circleinsideabox

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried out Google wallet today at McDonalds but since it was my first time trying it out I preconnected to their WiFi I was afraid to look like an idiot to people who had no idea what I was trying to do. It worked great and everyone was wondering how I paid. Let me know if it truly does work without WiFi if it does I might actually put some more money on here to use around town to freak people out.

I just used mine at CVS without an internet connection, you just have to make sure your device is awake ( screen is up) when you attempt to tap it on the credit machine.

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

If I add funds to the card will that money show up on each of my devices?

Sent from my Nexus 7

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine didn't work for some reason today at 7-11. No WiFi bit it worked there the day before

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have confirmed that it indeed does work w/o internet. I used it at 7-11 today.

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I used GWallet with Internet at McDonalds as well. The checkout lady was amazed lmao :p
I was just wondering what possible reasons are there to use this method to make purchases. Like most people I have a checking account with a debit card.
Does anyone know any reasons why someone would want to use the GWallet instead?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
You'd don't need an internet connection to make purchases. An internet connection is required to populate all activity on your account on your device. You can do this next time you connect to Wi-Fi.

Think of it as your card stored in your device, just like when you swipe your credit card all information on your card is transferred to the store and they connect with your bank. The same happens with the NFC chip that stores your credit card info.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I used GWallet with Internet at McDonalds as well. The checkout lady was amazed lmao :p
I was just wondering what possible reasons are there to use this method to make purchases. Like most people I have a checking account with a debit card.
Does anyone know any reasons why someone would want to use the GWallet instead?

you would never have to carry a credit card ever again or worry about losing them. You can set up all your credit cards to work via Google wallet. Debit cards did away with cash, Google wallet does away with credit or debit cards.

Reactions: android4life007

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
you would never have to carry a credit card ever again or worry about losing them. You can set up all your credit cards to work via Google wallet. Debit cards did away with cash, Google wallet does away with credit or debit cards.

Ok thanks, I would prefer to use GWallet with my HTC Rezound instead since it can fit in my pocket although I see it does not show up on the Play Store when using my phone :(

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree a smart phone is a better form factor for G-Wallet, fo-shizzel.

I have Google Wallet configured on both my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7. I use it all the time on my GNex (and will even more now with today's update) but can't imagine myself ever using it with my Nexus 7. Just seems too odd to use a 7" tablet on a PayPass machine.

But I must say that using my GNex brings many stares of curiosity and amazement. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles