Is the Nexus 7 useless in Japan?

ywatanabe

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I had to find out the hard way... it is useless and I'm bummed.
I have a US gmail account but it won't make a difference. It picks up your location, thus only giving you access to Japanese Google Play.
No Books, Magazines, or Music.
Is there anyway to access the US Google Play through a proxy or something?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
From a friend in New Zealand:

Heres how to do it:

You need a credit card in Google wallet, with a US address. I just used my kiwibank visa debit card with a fake US address (added this through the google wallet website).

I then did a factory reset on the tablet, and when it asked me to connect to wifi, I connected to my home wifi, and set a US proxy. I then clicked through the wizard and had a new page saying I got $25 credit. Also using the US proxy means you will get the Play Books, Magazines and Movies app on the tablet (although once you turn off the proxy those won't work anymore).

Also, I think it may be possible to get it without doing a factory reset. In one of my attempts I had done a factory reset, but hadn't had the US address credit card added. I noticed when I went to the play store and attempted to purchase something, under the payment options there was a new option that said "Add a credit card to get $25". I tried to add some fake credit cards at that step, but they wouldn't work. I'm not sure if that option will show up once you are connected to a US proxy or not.

Not sure how legal or ethical this is, nor how well it works. I just knew someone shady enough to ask :p

Curtis A

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
hey cool thanks lol although I don't know enough about setting up proxies so I may just go the rooting route

I have had good luck with Identity Cloaker as a proxy. It was easy to set up and it works on my N7 so I can watch UK shows. I think the ten day trial cost me $5 or $6. Not sure it that's what you had in mind.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I used VPN to get 25$ credit and I can use it now even without vpn but movies and books and other play store sections are missing after turning off the VPN.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol