Tethering - What are the advantages of WiFi vs Bluetooth?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't found a thread outlining what works and doesn't work with Bluetooth tethering on my N7. From my experience, I've found some of the Google apps (G+, YouTube, Reader, GMail, Drive, Play Music, and obviously Chrome) work on Bluetooth tether, but other developers apps don't work. Actually there were two exceptions that I've found: HuluPlus and Instagram. Sadly, after an update a few months ago, HuluPlus stopped working.

At first I thought it was certain network ports that were blocked, but I now think the issue is how that app is written. It seems as if some apps were written to check for any connectivity (the ones that work) versus the ones that make sure connectivity comes through WiFi or the carrier data connection.

The reason I use Bluetooth tether is because WiFi doesn't happen to work for me. If I had a choice I'd probably choose WiFi tether.

Any thoughts?

My setup: Droid Bionic tethered to an Nexus7.

(Mods, should this be a whole new thread? It is BT vs WiFi related....)

Funny, I can't seem to get any google services except ingress working over Bluetooth.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i think wi-fi hotspot just easier to use. i've got hotspot toggle on my lock screen i just press it and N7 automatically joins it. With Bluetooth i think you have to manually go through the setting and all that.. plus it has limit 1.5-2mbps or something which is plenty enough but it's not very stable. If it's really battery friendly i'm all up for that! anybody wants to do some testing?)

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
i think wi-fi hotspot just easier to use. i've got hotspot toggle on my lock screen i just press it and N7 automatically joins it. With Bluetooth i think you have to manually go through the setting and all that.. plus it has limit 1.5-2mbps or something which is plenty enough but it's not very stable. If it's really battery friendly i'm all up for that! anybody wants to do some testing?)

I use Tasker and setup an action. Then, I created a widget on the home screen to execute the action to connect to my N4. I no longer need to go through the settings menus to connect.

Keith Tyler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The problem with the moral you're trying to illustrate through parody is that when a carrier charges you extra for tethering, they are not providing you any additional service. They are simply double-dipping. You already pay them for data service. And that service has caps and throttle points and what not already packed in to limit the impact your use of the service will have on their network. If you pop a 32GB MicroSDHC card in your phone, and proceed to download every video on YouTube to your SD card, how is that better than you surfing the web on your tablet/laptop over the exact same data connection? It's not. The only difference is that the carrier tries to charge you extra for one of these cases -- and it's not the one that, in this example, actually uses less data.

Tethering charges are artificial. No new service is being provided. They are ripping you off, plain and simple, and because of pseudo-libertarians like you and others, who perennially give companies a free pass to do whatever they want, no matter how exploitative or disingenuous, they get away with it.

The only fraud being perpetrated in this situation is by the carriers onto the customers, trying to make you pay extra for nothing. Not the customers using the data service they already pay their carriers for.

paigemariee

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I use Tasker and setup an action. Then, I created a widget on the home screen to execute the action to connect to my N4. I no longer need to go through the settings menus to connect.

It's kind of a similar goal of Open Garden to support a seamless and dynamic sharing setup.

T-Mobile has reportedly been detecting user-agent on browsers, at least for OG users: Open garden - tethering and T-mobile - Root Discussions on Open Garden Community
*Note, this is an easy fix if you are affected by it. HTTP is the only way they detect you. You can either use HTTPS or change the user agent per instructions on that thread.*

Sharing internet via Bluetooth will only get better with BT 4.0. Once it reaches WiFi speeds and has a seamless way to connect and stay connected, BT will be more like what WiFi Direct wishes it could be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech