First day with Nexus 7

dean411

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
First reactions - just got the N7 today.

+ feels nicely weighted, comfortable to hold
+ packaging: pretty nice for $199 tablet
- :) low battery, will need a good charge
-- WIFI sensitivity is poor, fewer bars in same spot compared to other devices like phone, another tablet, a laptop, kindle fire even has more bars
-- no way I found yet to jump back to top of very long browser screens like Facebook type feed, annoying to have to scrollllllllllllllllllllllll up and up and up
- no landscape mode for home screen, I predict many dropped N7's as people juggle rotation when switching apps
-- had to kill chrome one time, got into a state where pages would not render, just a flickering white screen, you could hit page reload, and see it reload, but no rendering. Event on newly opened tabs.
-- Chrome left scroll streaks on one page which had some "like" button floating frame at the bottom of the screen. When I scrolled up, it left a streak trail below the floating frame
- no camera app came with it, downloaded one, ok fine, but would be a nice touch Google
-- chrome video player - on Fox videos, easily got into state where it ignores all controls, they flash when u touch them, but no action. Includes play/stop, fwd, rew, and drag of vid position slider, controls visually respond, but don't operate. Happens in full screen mode.

eclipseagent

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I imagine they dropped the landscape because it can make for a negative or unexpected experience depending on how widgets were built. I think the learned a lot about user experience from earlier fragmentation issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sensory

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
A lot of negative points and no positive apart from looks of the device and packaging. Are you for real? Some of those points can be easily fixed by the user.. which is one of the best things about Android; if you don't like something, you can change the behaviour.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
First reactions - just got the N7 today.

+ feels nicely weighted, comfortable to hold
+ packaging: pretty nice for $199 tablet
- :) low battery, will need a good charge
-- WIFI sensitivity is poor, fewer bars in same spot compa. Andd to other devices like phone, another tablet, a laptop, kindle fire even has more bars
-- no way I found yet to jump back to top of very long browser screens like Facebook type feed, annoying to have to scrollllllllllllllllllllllll up and up and up
- no landscape mode for home screen, I predict many dropped N7's as people juggle rotation when switching apps
-- had to kill chrome one time, got into a state where pages would not render, just a flickering white screen, you could hit page reload, and see it reload, but no rendering. Event on newly opened tabs.
-- Chrome left scroll streaks on one page which had some "like" button floating frame at the bottom of the screen. When I scrolled up, it left a streak trail below the floating frame
- no camera app came with it, downloaded one, ok fine, but would be a nice touch Google
-- chrome video player - on Fox videos, easily got into state where it ignores all controls, they flash when u touch them, but no action. Includes play/stop, fwd, rew, and drag of vid position slider, controls visually respond, but don't operate. Happens in full screen mode.

My WiFi has been comparable to my other devices thus far. But I haven't tested it yet outside my house. I downloaded Dolphin HD Browser almost immediately. IMHO it's a far better browsing experience than the current version of Chrome. No landscape mode and no camera app have been discussed alot around the internets. There are work-arounds for both (alternative launchers and root options, as well as Play Store camera apps). For ME, neither is a problem at this time. The camera is really only meant for video chat and I'm adjusting to life in portrait (it's not so bad after all!).

jmoore122195

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My N7 has began to make a creaking noise whenever I put a small amount of pressure on the home screen. Any way to fix this or should I just return it?:(

dean411

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Day 2
+ very responsive, processor must be very fast
- turned off touch sounds, they still show off, but sound is Back on now???
- in chrome, waiting for page load, white background is flickering and flashing , watch out if your prone to seizures , I wonder if this is same screen defect that's been talked about elsewhere?
- not Googles Fault, but Olympics app from NBC Olympics isn't compatible... yet
+ keyboard is quite usable, easy to type two thumbed method in landscape
- gmail, need to be able to turn off notification sounds

dean411

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Think I figured out flashing white background chrome page load issue. In extreme fringe WiFi area, (often because of WiFi low sensitivity) when WiFi has to ramp to full power, it causes screen back light to flicker, some kind of power regulation issue. Goes away in stronger WiFi area

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy