N7 help, Pls post your WiFi tether settings

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Nexus S which wifi tether works great for my laptops with or without encryption, but not for the N7.

Are there some special options that need to be checked on the N7?

yankswinagain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Using FoxFi and PdaNet over Bluetooth. Works well, but some apps on the tablet don't see it as an internet connection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

edgeless

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
foxfi/pdanet over bluetooth because when I tried wifi tethering my phone messed up.....had to call my provider to reset my phone

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Using the WiFi tether app for root in the play store ?

-Sent from my Jelly Bean Nexus 7

No, just connected to it via WiFi. The hotspot wasn't a phone, it was a dedicate mobile internet device. Sets up just like home WiFi. If you can get WiFi hotspot going on a phone, just connect to it with the N7 like you would do any wifi network. Don't use the N7's tethering settings. Use the other device's.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My non-expert experience/understanding is this:

The N7 will connect to an infrastructure hot-spot, but not an adhoc one (Google them). My phone is a rooted Nexus S4G. I've been using the GoogleCode wifi tether app, and my laptops can connect, although with occasional glitches. My N7 does not see the hotspot at all.

However, going thru my phone's native hotspot settings (Settings/Wireless/etc.), it does allow the N7 to connect.

It seems like at present you will have to tether thru the infrastructure wifi or bluetooth (more cumbersome in my setup), but it can be done.

Reactions: giograves

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My N7 simply cannot connect to a WiFi tether, although other devices can. Got to be some buried setting, no?

Edit: just attempted to connect to a buddies S3 tether, couldn't even see that network... :confused:

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My N7 simply cannot connect to a WiFi tether, although other devices can. Got to be some buried setting, no?

Edit: just attempted to connect to a buddies S3 tether, couldn't even see that network... :confused:

No, the N7 will not connect to an ad-hoc hotspot. So, you have to configure the hotspot (your phone, in this case) as infrastructure, or try bluetooth, or the USB cable.

I think that this is a feature of Android, not just the N7.

I've only had the N7 for less than a day, but I can tether if I configure the *phone* appropriately.

Reactions: giograves

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My Sprint Optimus S works with FoxFi and Pdanet with a Bluetooth tether. And my Verizon Galaxy S III works with the FoxFi WiFi hotspot tether.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No, the N7 will not connect to an ad-hoc hotspot. So, you have to configure the hotspot (your phone, in this case) as infrastructure, or try bluetooth, or the USB cable.

I think that this is a feature of Android, not just the N7.

I've only had the N7 for less than a day, but I can tether if I configure the *phone* appropriately.

Ad-Hoc is a rare network setup and pretty much a Nokia thing. As with the G-Nex if your running stock ICS there should be no need for an apps to tether it works right out the box without paying extra.

@giograves - There is nothing you have to do to hook up to a standard WiFi be it a hotspot or not. Make sure the SSID is not hidden your trying to connect to. Also make sure the MAC filtering is off. If your still having trouble return your Nexus7 something is wrong.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
**scratches head profusely**

At this stage I still cannot connect. So far this is what we have:

-The ICS Nexus S in Ad-Hoc mode works flawlessly using "WiFi Tether for Root" with LAPTOPS
-The N7 connects to home and corporate wireless WPA PSK networks no issue
-The "bundled" tethering in the Nexus S DOES launch infrastructure mode and the N7 CAN connect, but internet isn't available.

^^^ My understanding is that this was the carriers PAID service, no?

-It almost appears that the netd driver isnt working in the WiFi tether app (v3.1b14)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
**scratches head profusely**

At this stage I still cannot connect. So far this is what we have:

-The ICS Nexus S in Ad-Hoc mode works flawlessly using "WiFi Tether for Root" with LAPTOPS
-The N7 connects to home and corporate wireless WPA PSK networks no issue
-The "bundled" tethering in the Nexus S DOES launch infrastructure mode and the N7 CAN connect, but internet isn't available.

^^^ My understanding is that this was the carriers PAID service, no?

-It almost appears that the netd driver isnt working in the WiFi tether app (v3.1b14)

Jelly Bean can not connect to Ad-Hoc networks so I hope your not trying to use the Nexus7 on an Ad-Hoc hotspot.