Interesting article about the Nexus 7's screen relating to color

kwarner666

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Interesting article about the Nexus 7's screen relating to co

According to the article, there is a pretty good chance this could be fixed with a software update.
Let's hope Google is working on this and we'll see ver 4.1.2 before too long.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

Skimmed it. Seems like yet another "this Toyota Camry fails because it doesn't perform like a Porsche" articles.

It's a budget-friendly tablet that's main focus is portability and software functionality. It's not intended to compete with specs or build quality folks.

I have a great PC monitor and graphics card, I have a nice HDTV set, and I have a Galaxy S2 with a Super AMOLED Plus screen. The Nexus 7 doesn't bother me a single tiny bit in the screen department. Not on paper and not in real, average, daily use. This is a non-issue that the tech-heads and pixel-counters are trying to sensationalize and turn into ammo against the device. Flickering and the "gray screen" issues that people are having? Those are real issues, and to be expected within the first batch of a budget product. Unless the color gamut shortcoming is preventing people from being able to see things and use the tablet, it's a non-issue.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

^ agreed with the above. It's a tablet not an HDTV. If it looks good with text, games, and web viewing it's doing it's job. If that means that video will fall a little short of perfect THX level calibration then just suck it up and move on.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site

No, it doesn't bother me. I still love my N7. I'm not having any of the issues people are reporting. However, I did find it interesting that the blues on the screen weren't very saturated when I compared it to other things I have. Not a show-stopper by any means, but it's something that I noticed.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

True, it's always good to at least know why something is doing something like that. I notice a little dithering every now and then. (ie: the Kindle loading screen) I'm okay with it though. Remember when Kindles were this expensive?

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site

The last 10 values for black and white all look the same, so that seems that the display needs better calibration, but I'm not sure it's possible unless the Tegra has LUTs.

Display looks great watching the transformers movie though, so that article is definitely overblown...

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I have no problems with video on the tablet. Both my boyfriend and I played transformers and were amazed with how great it looked. I wasn't expecting an ipad level screen, but I think it looks really good for what it is.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site

True, it's always good to at least know why something is doing something like that. I notice a little dithering every now and then. (ie: the Kindle loading screen) I'm okay with it though. Remember when Kindles were this expensive?

Yes, I do! I've had every one, including the Fire which the N7 has replaced wonderfully!

Here's my question: So if it's a matter of calibration and not a screen limitation, wouldn't it make sense to do something about it? When Joe Average Consumer see this next to, say, the unicorn that is the iPad Jr. or whatever it's going to be called, he's not going to care about specs. He's going to see the picture of a flower on this screen vs. the same flower on whatever Apple is going to do, which will more than likely be close to Retina if not an actual Retina display. I remember when I saw my first AMOLED phone. I was blown away by the colors, even though it wasn't the greatest phone. If it's calibration, I'd like for them to do something about it so that the fruit people don't have something else to harp on.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Skimmed it. Seems like yet another "this Toyota Camry fails because it doesn't perform like a Porsche" articles.

It's a budget-friendly tablet that's main focus is portability and software functionality. It's not intended to compete with specs or build quality folks.

You should have read the article then. The complaint isn't about the quality, in fact they say the Nexus 7 has a very good quality IPS display. The problem they say is the calibration on the display is off. Which I agree, mine is certainly off, white saturation is high.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of the screen colors myself... particularly the flat saturation. I think I will take the article's advice and wait for something better. Jury is still out though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah he was using auto-brightness, which admittedly isn't very good. The screen looks really, really good at about 3/4 to max brightness and I say that after using the One X as my daily driver.

Funny thing is that I haven't read a single review where they mention anything negative about the display. Gizmodo's own review writes multiple sentences about how nice it is in their own review. This is basically just another article from an "expert" explaining why something is terrible even though it got near unanimous praise by gadget reviewers in actual practice. Hey, I know! Let's compare a $200 tablet display to a professionally calibrated studio monitor. What you say?! It's not as good?!
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Funny thing is that I haven't read a single review where they mention anything negative about the display. Gizmodo's own review writes multiple sentences about how nice it is in their own review. This is basically just another article from an "expert" explaining why something is terrible even though it got near unanimous praise by gadget reviewers in actual practice. Hey, I know! Let's compare a $200 tablet display to a professionally calibrated studio monitor. What you say?! It's not as good?!

Display calibration really should have no bearing on the cost of the tablet. I don't think it costs more to calibrate the Nexus 7 than it does to calibrate a $500 tablet.

Here is a more apples to apples comparison.

My Nexus 7 on the left, my Nook Color on the right.

IMG_20120723_083130.jpg

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Also, I noticed that some colors look a bit faded compared to the Nook Color. Yellows and Greens were visibly more washed out on the Nexus 7. Red, Blue, Magenta, and Cyans however all seemed fine. Black saturation was a bit weaker on the Nexus 7, but not by much, so not a concern to me.

Mostly I just saw a problem with the white saturation, and the yellow and green colors.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Display calibration really should have no bearing on the cost of the tablet. I don't think it costs more to calibrate the Nexus 7 than it does to calibrate a $500 tablet.

Anywhere here is a more Apples to Apples comparison.

My Nexus 7 on the left, my Nook Color on the right.

Click to view quoted image

Yeah, but your N7 is malfunctional ravy, I've read your threads. If you go on xda, someplace they have a picture of a properly functioning N7 next to one of the funky washed out ones. It's way different. Apparently the contrast changes if you use certain apps/watch movies on the malfunctional ones too. Go to Staples and check out the display device. It would really be funny if the reviewer got a bad one.

cokeblack

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

Funny thing is that I haven't read a single review where they mention anything negative about the display.

And that's the problem, if I had known the screen was going to be the way it is, I would not have made the purchase. Compared to my Galaxy Nexus, the N7 screen is washed out.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, but your N7 is malfunctional ravy, I've read your thread. If you go on xda, someplace the have a picture of a properly functioning N7 next to one of the funky washed out ones. It's way different. Apparently the contrast changes if you use certain apps/watch movies on the malfunctional ones too. Go to Staples and check out the display device. It would really be funny if the reviewer got a bad one.

That has been a big question for me. Is my Nexus 7 malfunctional or is what I'm seeing normal, but just not noticeable enough for most people to care about?

When I see an article such as this, it makes me think perhaps this is more prevailant than I thought. But I don't know. I'm asking Google about it (emailing, have no patience to sit on hold for two hours). :)

PS. I would like to check it out at Staples or something, but it seems it's completely sold out and I haven't found any display models.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
That has been a big question for me. Is my Nexus 7 malfunctional or is what I'm seeing normal, but just not noticeable enough for most people to care about?

When I see an article such as this, it makes me think perhaps this is more prevailant than I thought. But I don't know. I'm asking Google about it (emailing, have no patience to sit on hold for two hours). :)

I would just go check out a display device at staples, man.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I returned to Staples and it seems their Nexus display unit isn't with the other tablets in front of the store, but all by itself off to the side of the store (weird).

Anyway, I took a look at it, downloaded the Display Tester app and looked at the same tests. I noticed the white saturation was off on this display unit, the same as mine. You can't see the bottom row of boxes (such as the picture I posted before) on the Nexus 7. Also yellow and green had a pastel washed out look too, just like mine.

The display does look good and I wouldn't be surprised if some people looking at it doesn't notice it's poorly calibrated. But for some reason it really stands out to me, mostly the white saturation.

And perhaps only some of the units have calibration issues.

Google responded to my email request and gave me an RMA and a link to request a replacement unit. So I think I'll go ahead and have Google send me the replacement and hope for a better calibrated unit. Or at least one that doesn't have that other issue of causing the screen to look over exposed after playing videos.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I use the very sophisticated and scientifically proven "66yo Eyeball Test".....If it looks good to me....it is....period.....and my N7 passed the test. For that matter, my Nook Color passed the test!!

Kind of like overclocking....who gives a rat's ass if something downloads in 5 milliseconds or 3 nano seconds?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance