Washed out screen

volumetric

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had my nexus 7 for a day now, and one thing keeps bothering me and i can't let it

go, the screen is too washed out, colours are dull and not saturated,it just doesn't have

enough contrast, I have an old HTC Desire with a better looking home screen, although

movie look amazing on the N7, In my research I've found some people have the same

issue,should I return my device,or can this be fixed with a software update??:(

Last edited:

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Return it, this only seems to happening with a small percentage of N7s. I saw a side by side image of a properly working N7 and one of the washed out ones and it's really, really noticeable. Really hope the people who are reviewing this device don't end up with one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

grafx1

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with my 16g. After the screen warms up for 10 mins after sleep or charging overnight, the screen is gorgeous. I submitted a request for a return on Sunday, and just a few minutes ago, got return authorization. I will hold on to the old one until I receive the replacement.

Reactions: RamboDroid

volumetric

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that,the screen is really bad, I was hoping it was just a quality control issue, and not all of them were like this.hopefully my new N7 will be issue free.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The one issue with LCD panels is that they aren't created equal. It sucks, but that's the nature of the beast. I have seen TV's side by side of the same model that were not alike in anyway. The only success I have seen with pretty close to equal is AMOLED type panels.

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
just had this problem tonight my screen has been bright colorful and nice.....but tonight i locked the screen set it down them picked it up 2 mins later and major major screen wash out. Blacks are now med. grey. When going back to the homescreen you can see the previous screen through the homescreen. This sucks..... Cuz my One S just bit the dust too...battery crashed will not charge. And cuz... there is no way for me to back up the app data and move it to my new device. Like game progress.

Here is pic of my wifes NS and my N7 with the same wallpaper.

Note that clock widget you couldn't even see the box around it before.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
just had this problem tonight my screen has been bright colorful and nice.....but tonight i locked the screen set it down them picked it up 2 mins later and major major screen wash out. Blacks are now med. grey. When going back to the homescreen you can see the previous screen through the homescreen. This sucks..... Cuz my One S just bit the dust too...battery crashed will not charge. And cuz... there is no way for me to back up the app data and move it to my new device. Like game progress.

Here is pic of my wifes NS and my N7 with the same wallpaper.

Note that clock widget you couldn't even see the box around it before.

Holy crap, that's terrible. Get a replacement asap.

volumetric

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
How does a fully working N7 screen compare to a Galaxy nexus screen??,the nexus phone screen is gorgeous,I know my N7 screen is faulty but i think there's no contest,colours on a
the galaxy nexus are so vivid and blacks are amazing, my wallpaper is just plain black because it looks so good.

But wow yours screen is really bad!!

Last edited:

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's what my N7 looks like:

imag0050l.jpg

imag0052s.jpg

imag0053kf.jpg

imag0054pr.jpg

It looks great, at least to me. I don't know how much more you could possibly expect for 200$

rbpeake

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Return it, this only seems to happening with a small percentage of N7s. I saw a side by side image of a properly working N7 and one of the washed out ones and it's really, really noticeable. Really hope the people who are reviewing this device don't end up with one.

They may have ended up with one!
http://pulse.me/s/bzKP9

volumetric

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are a lot of n7 owners that don't even realise their N7 screens suck,
I was taken in for a while because movies still look amazing even though apps on the home
screen look like colour e-ink :-\

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are a lot of n7 owners that don't even realise their N7 screens suck,
I was taken in for a while because movies still look amazing even though apps on the home
screen look like colour e-ink :-\

Yeah, no, I have a One X. And my N7 looks great.

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I was actually wondering about this. A lot of reviewers have complimented on how vibrant and colorful the screen is on the Nexus 7.

For me the display is incredibly crisp and has amazing viewing angles. The problem is that the display seems washed out and dull. Putting it next to something like a Galaxy S III just makes it seem worse. I did notice that the display seems to look better after it has been on for a while. I guess it needs time to warm up.

I don't think I'll be returning my Nexus 7 even though I'm also having the issues with the touchscreen responsiveness.

Breezy Beach

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Just my 2 cents but as I turned it on for the first time it looked a bit "dim". I quickly set the brightness to my liking in the settings menu and boom!!! Looks snazzy now for sure! Great buy!

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

kregstrong

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Im not sure if my gnex has spoiled me, but I'm sending my 7 back cause it sure seems washed out to me, the blue is a baby blue, and the blacks are a greyish tone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure if my gnex has spoiled me, but I'm sending my 7 back cause it sure seems washed out to me, the blue is a baby blue, and the blacks are a greyish tone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just be careful. Galaxy Nexus is Super AMOLED, so it'll always have more vibrant looking colors and much deeper blacks than a regular IPS display like the Nexus 7.

I agree some of the Nexus 7 tablets look washed out, mine included. But it's usually the yellows and greens that have the washed out look. Reds, blues, and magentas look fine I think. Black aren't too bad for IPS. Whites definitely over saturated. And I have no expectation it'll look as good as my Galaxy Nexus, but I hope it can at least look as good as my Nook Color.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463