Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL?

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Find a CPR Cell Phone Repair location close to u. They offer a plan that covers accidental damage for $30 a yr. (CPR Shield) It does involve a $25 copay when u take it in for repairs. Got my GS3 covered! No worries now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

dportal2006

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I just bought my 16 gb Nexus 7 on the google playstore website and one week later, I drop it in my concrete floor garage. But here's the best part. I'm 12 years old and spent my whole summer mowing lawns. What should I do? I mowed over 50 lawns to get this Nexus 7. What's funny is I was shopping for a case on it when I dropped it.

Sorry to hear that kid. You might as well buy another tablet because the price to repair the screen is simply not worth it. If you do decide to buy another one make sure you buy a cover for it.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine N7 has flipped on the floor a few times with no cracks or dents to be found anywhere.

I question a few of these comments as being trolls.
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: KitN

jywang

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just returned my Nexus back to Walmart because after 4 days the screen become unresponsive and only displayed vertical lines. Neither screen nor lcd was cracked. So I'm not sure what happened but it wasn't dropped or damage physically in any way.

I had no trouble returning it especially since I had a 3 year warranty which was purchased along with the device for $28 extra.

Lastly I was able to wipe my Nexus before returning it since I had SeekDroid installed. Had I not been able to wipe it, I would have had to change all my passwords, amazon, google, netflix, hulu, etc.

If you are sending your device in for repair or selling as-is on Ebay, I highly recommend finding a way to wipe your device beforehand...

dportal2006

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine N7 has flipped on the floor a few times with no cracks or dents to be found anywhere.

I question a few of these comments as being trolls.
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

It all the depends on how it falls. I dropped mine and was relieved that nothing happened. I had a cover on it though and it only fell from two feet.

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Dropped mine while on the elliptical. Damn headphones cord got caught and the Nexus went flying to the ground and hit a few bars on the way dow and the back popped off a bit, but not a single issue. I popped it back on and no issues. This happened about 2 weeks ago.

I thought it was broken, but I guess the backs are meant to come off.

I was surprised. I feel bad for the people who are dropping them from like 3ft and breaking. This was like from 6ft.

hamjudo

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I spent $10 to ship it back to ASUS for a non-warranty repair. It took them 9 days to even look at it. I got an email today telling me my $199/8GB tablet will cost $150 to fix it!!! What a joke! I'm probably going to tell them to keep it because I have to pay another $10 just to ship it back to me. $170 for repairing a $199 tablet.

Some very slight improvements. After "only" 8 days, I got a repair quote. That is one day faster than Timmy's. Also, $11 for me to ship to Asus, $85 parts, $65 labor, plus $10 return shipping. My total cost is $9 less. It would have been $10 shipping if I hadn't use the UPS walk up counter. The price has dropped $10, and they've gotten 1 day faster.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Some very slight improvements. After "only" 8 days, I got a repair quote. That is one day faster than Timmy's. Also, $11 for me to ship to Asus, $85 parts, $65 labor, plus $10 return shipping. My total cost is $9 less. It would have been $10 shipping if I hadn't use the UPS walk up counter. The price has dropped $10, and they've gotten 1 day faster.

Buy a sqauretrade warranty for 50 bucks, wait a week, then file a claim.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tasDINgo

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
What you can do is plug a mouse and keyboard to the Nexus 7 with one of these usb adapters (assuming the touch on the screen is no longer functional but it is still able to work internally):

Use a usb hub for multiple devices:
Amazon.com: Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra-Mini Hub: Electronics

This Micro USB to adapt USB to Nexus 7
Amazon.com: Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories

and a mouse and keyboard of your choice. =]

For me, all the options previously seem to be way overpriced considering the cost of the Nexus 7 itself. I'd go with this option if you don't have a warranty or the warranty expired or if the replacement cost is not worth it. Although it is no longer a tablet, it can serve as a mini laptop. :p Might be a good alternative to wait for a cheaper replacement screen. So until then, bare with me. XD

Reactions: hamjudo

hamjudo

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Buy a sqauretrade warranty for 50 bucks, wait a week, then file a claim.

Squaretrade doesn't list the size of the accidental damage deductible for the Nexus 7 on their website, but they do list it for the iPhone. On the iPhone it is $99. I assume they will adjust the deductible for the Nexus 7 based on repair statistics, but they will eventually be forced to price it high enough to make this sort of insurance fraud impractical.

It probably won't save much money, it is illegal, and most importantly, it is wrong.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So like the dumbass that I am, I dropped my N7 AGAIN on the same bathroom hard tile floor! This time it fell roughly 2 or 2.5 feet down SCREEN FIRST! I was so scared lifting it up, seeing the potential damage that could have occurred...

Turns out the screen and system is in perfect condition, still! Not a single scratch on it! Wow, am I a lucky SOB! :D

That sucks to hear thunder9111. :(

Moral of the story: stop using your N7 in the can!! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

knaacku

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I too have had the same problem, very short padded fall. Hopefully someone will have good news they can all share with us.

Last edited:

seroi6175

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I had the same problem with my 8gb nexus 7 and I have been emailing and calling ASUS
for quite some time. After waiting a few days, the repair center contacted me saying that
because this is a new product, they cannot really make it a lot cheaper. I got a deal where
they will waive my ground shipping fee($10) and 15% discount from the entire thing. The total then became approximately $140. Now, this is where my dilemma. I am not sure if I should pay for the repair or get a new one and fix the broken with the third party shop. Oh well, I hope some people benefit from this.

hamjudo

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I had the same problem with my 8gb nexus 7 and I have been emailing and calling ASUS
for quite some time. After waiting a few days, the repair center contacted me saying that
because this is a new product, they cannot really make it a lot cheaper. I got a deal where
they will waive my ground shipping fee($10) and 15% discount from the entire thing. The total then became approximately $140. Now, this is where my dilemma. I am not sure if I should pay for the repair or get a new one and fix the broken with the third party shop. Oh well, I hope some people benefit from this.

If I had known that the repair process would take many weeks (or more), and cost 80% (my price quote) or even 70% (your discounted price) of buying a new one, I would have just bought a new one. Eventually, repairs should be affordable and relatively quick.

They sent me a picture of my broken Nexus 7. The photo had a time stamp. It took them 2 days to go from taking the picture, to sending me an invoice for the repair. I responded to their invoice in a few hours with a fax (I didn't have a scanner handy. Asus repair services hasn't figured out this web based commerce thing yet.). No one has reported how long it takes to get repairs back. So I don't have a clue when I will see my tablet again.

Asus's RMA tracking webpage doesn't work for me.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a medical condition whereby I seem to drop things a lot. When I received my N7, I ordered a case and waited until it arrived before using the N7. I have knocked the N7 off a table with no damage.

There is an old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

mgrant50

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I sat down with the Nexus 7 in my back pocket and cracked the screen. Just an inner layer, as the touch screen still works. The whole right side of the display has gone black. The left side is still okay.

I called Google, and they gave me Asus's phone number. I've got an RMA number and will ship it back tomorrow.

Has anyone gotten a repair cost yet for a user induced cracked screen?

Back pocket?? It'll cost about $85 parts, $65 labor, and $10 ground shipping.

Reactions: hamjudo

mgrant50

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, I am yet another one who cracked my screen.
I have the raised screen on the left side, so I wanted to open my N7 to check out the back.I didn't actually do anything. I popped the back case back on, but had trouble with one corner. I pressed a bit harder to popped it back it. Next thing I know, there's a crack on my screen.

It's only on the border, and doesn't touch the LCD at all.

Now, the entire screen is completely unresponsive. However, the N7 itself seems to be fine. I can power on, power off, take screenshot- everything works except the touchscreen.

I would like the asks the guys that send them in to ASUS what happened after??
How much did it cost?

I might have to use a mouse to control it for now.. sigh..

$85 parts, $655 labor, $10 ground shipping.

NoelEiffe1

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine took a 1 ft drop and is now worthless. And obviously, reading this thread, there's nothing I can do about it but buy it again.

Sigh. Last Asus device ever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463