Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL?

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Completely bummed that I dropped and cracked the screen on the Nexus 7 last night. Does anyone know what I can do in short of buying another one? Unfortunately, I switched my CC from Amex to another CC which doesn't have a warranty protection program either.

I have emailed Google (purchased through play store) and waiting for a reply but was curious if anyone knows how Google deals with situations such as this.

Thanks

ack154

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Not even sure why you'd email Google... it is in no way a Warranty issue. And even if your credit card had some sort of coverage, it would have to specifically cover accidental damage.

IMO, your best option is to sell it "as is" on eBay and buy a replacement.

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Amex Platium has some sort of accidental coverage but doesn't matter at this point.

I emailed them basically as a long shot in case they would do something. I think mainly because I've known folks that have cracked their iphone/ipads and the Apple store did a "favor" replacement for them.

Judging from you have said..it looks like I'll be searching for brick and mortars that have them in stock.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You would email Google because they may be able to at least put you in touch with someone who can fix it. I would imagine by the time you pay shipping shipping etc. it would be close to buying a new one if not more.

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think I might cough up the money for a squaretrade accidental warranty. These things seem to like to explode a little when faced with gravity. I heard a couple horror stories already.

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely looking to something such as that for the next one I get. With the phone, at least there's asurion to help protect against issues such as this.

I'm guessing...depending on google's response (if they do), I'll end up getting another one and wait for perhaps a way where I can replace the screen on this one somehow.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Big time bummer that your N7 is already ruined. I feel for you and hope you don't have any issues finding a replacement. My N7 has been hard to put down. It would be difficult to live without it now. Best of luck as you begin searching for a replacement.

That said, I still can't imagine insuring a tablet that tops out at $250. The initial fee and/or monthly premiums combined with a deductible when a claim is made make insurance cost prohibitive. Especially if you don't have to make a claim until after 6+ months of use when there are other options available that have better hardware. I can see the argument for insurance on a tablet that exceeds $500, or on a high end phone purchased on a 2 year contract, but it does not make sense for the N7. As cool as the N7 is, it is a few months away from becoming outdated hardware. Yes, damage can happen, and it is a bummer when it does, but when your initial investment was no more than $250, I say take the risk that you will not damage your next N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

king43

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
buy one from brick and mortar store and do a switharoo... Totally unethical but would get you a new one and staples has a 1yr accidental plan for 40bux

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm starting to think I might cough up the money for a squaretrade accidental warranty. These things seem to like to explode a little when faced with gravity. I heard a couple horror stories already.

FYI, something i didnt know when getting a ST warranty is you have to wait 30 days to put in an accidental damage claim or it voids the warranty. kinda sucks as my screen cracked right down the middle and the screen no longer responds to touch

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Can you add a SquareTrade warranty on? I think you have 30 days from the time of purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if all Android products could have their screens user-replaced. Then just buy the glass screen, which would cost what? $50? And replace it yourself.

btracy713

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am an Apple guy, and I decided to give this Nexus 7 tablet a shot. I couldn't be further dissatisfied. I've had it two weeks, never dropped it, tonight, it accidentally fell 3 feet off my bed onto the floor which is carpeted, and the screen is cracked in several places and non responsive to touch. I'm sorry but THAT IS GARBAGE! I called google, they pawned me off on ASUS, I called ASUS, sat on hold over an hour, never got anyone. Thoroughly disgusted with this tablet, and the horrible excuse for customer service its manufacturers provided. This is why Apple will always stay a step ahead.

aquinoent

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
This seems to be happening quite a bit. My screen cracked on my Nexus 7 after 5 days. I didn't drop it or anything. It was even in a silicone skin and had a screen protector on it. But it still cracked from one side to the other. I googled "Nexus 7 Screen Crack" and noticed several posts about the screen coming "Unglued" or lifting from the chasis in the middle of the tablet on the left side. Upon checking mine, I noticed it was lifted and the crack was located just below the lift of the glass. I've since sent it to Asus and am waiting a response on repair and if it will be covered as a manufacturer defect. When speaking to the Asus rep, he said he had not heard anything about the glass lifting in the middle of the tablet. I told him to google it and check it out. They've had the tablet for 3 days now and still waiting to hear from the repair tech.
This sounds like a pretty weak screen if a drop can crack it. My 3 year old has handled my wife's iPad and dropped it a couple time and there hasn't been any damage to it! This is very disappointing Google/Asus! :(

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey aquinoent

How did you initiate the process of getting it send to Asus?

The Google email response simply said to go to asus.com for help without much info.

I haven't had time to go through the site to figure out how I would send this in yet but if you have any pointers/links/emails that I can use to shortcut this process, that would help me a ton.

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I am an Apple guy, and I decided to give this Nexus 7 tablet a shot. I couldn't be further dissatisfied. I've had it two weeks, never dropped it, tonight, it accidentally fell 3 feet off my bed onto the floor which is carpeted, and the screen is cracked in several places and non responsive to touch. I'm sorry but THAT IS GARBAGE! I called google, they pawned me off on ASUS, I called ASUS, sat on hold over an hour, never got anyone. Thoroughly disgusted with this tablet, and the horrible excuse for customer service its manufacturers provided. This is why Apple will always stay a step ahead.

no offense but what are you upset about?

I have dropped many devices and have them not break. It just takes the right fall to break at any height. You can watch youtube drop tests and see that the Nexus holds up very well.

Even beat the iPad in a water submerge test.

IMO its your fault and have no one to blame but yourself.

Reactions: KitN

aquinoent

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
@ qdroid:
I originally called Goog. They pushed me off to Asus since the screen is cracked and that automatically makes it a non-warranty repair. Like I posted, mine is currently at Asus for non-warranty repair, but will be inspected first and then they will contact me with repair details. I'm hoping the repair tech sees there is no damage to the unit and that this may be a defect.
Here is the number to Asus Support: 877-339-2787. Follow the phone prompts for Eee-Pad as this tablet is in the Eee-Pad family. I had to get an RMA from Asus to return it. They've had it since Thurs 7/26 and no update yet.

Reactions: stormed

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Check on line for a screen replacement. Usually someone is selling them and you can watch the ifixit videos on how to take this apart and put it back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca