Oops! - Dropped and cracked Nexus 7 Screen - SOL?

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if that is legit or not, but the Nexus 7's LCD and touchscreen are glued together, so would have to be replaced as a single unit and they seem to be offering services to replace them separately, which is a bit suspect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
buy one from brick and mortar store and do a switharoo... Totally unethical but would get you a new one and staples has a 1yr accidental plan for 40bux

Not just unethical, but also illegal. It's fraud, theft, etc. Please don't promote breaking the law. I'm pretty sure this violates forum rules. BTW, serial numbers are checked upon return, so this unethical/illegal idea wouldn't get very far.

Reactions: KitN

hamjudo

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I sat down with the Nexus 7 in my back pocket and cracked the screen. Just an inner layer, as the touch screen still works. The whole right side of the display has gone black. The left side is still okay.

I called Google, and they gave me Asus's phone number. I've got an RMA number and will ship it back tomorrow.

Has anyone gotten a repair cost yet for a user induced cracked screen?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes! How dare you use the warranty... that... staples...sells...

Oh nvrmind, I see what he was getting at. That's ****** up man. Don't do that, man, seriously. Unless you're short and really need a bag and some smokes and that **** broken Nexus 7 is cuttin into your funds.

Reactions: Androhead27

Androhead27

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh nvrmind, I see what he was getting at. That's ****** up man. Don't do that, man, seriously. Unless you're short and really need a bag and some smokes and that **** broken Nexus 7 is cuttin into your funds.

Especially if you really need a bag....lol

Reactions: crackberrytraitor

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 without a case fell onto my bathroom floor (hard tile) by about 18 inches, thankfully it dropped onto the back rubber side (WHEW!) and the device is still in perfect condition.

I can't wait for my screen protector to arrive in the main in the next day or two. Then a case when I find the right one.

Reactions: Androhead27

Androhead27

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 without a case fell onto my bathroom floor (hard tile) by about 18 inches, thankfully it dropped onto the back rubber side (WHEW!) and the device is still in perfect condition.

I can't wait for my screen protector to arrive in the main in the next day or two. Then a case when I find the right one.

That's just too close.....all the more reason to protect it, can't wait to get a case for it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Androhead27

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of cases personally.

Just put mine in a sleeve to avoid scratches.

Maybe down the road if they are cheap.

I too had this mentality until an unfortunate incident involving my wife flinging my gs2 on the concrete from about pocket height. (total accident she felt horrible) I will give it to Samsung after that drop the screen is still flawless and it landed screen down....needless to say I am more careful and will be buying a case for the n7 even though I hate the bulk. :-/

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

thunder9111

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, I am yet another one who cracked my screen.
I have the raised screen on the left side, so I wanted to open my N7 to check out the back.I didn't actually do anything. I popped the back case back on, but had trouble with one corner. I pressed a bit harder to popped it back it. Next thing I know, there's a crack on my screen.

It's only on the border, and doesn't touch the LCD at all.

Now, the entire screen is completely unresponsive. However, the N7 itself seems to be fine. I can power on, power off, take screenshot- everything works except the touchscreen.

I would like the asks the guys that send them in to ASUS what happened after??
How much did it cost?

I might have to use a mouse to control it for now.. sigh..

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
So like the dumbass that I am, I dropped my N7 AGAIN on the same bathroom hard tile floor! This time it fell roughly 2 or 2.5 feet down SCREEN FIRST! I was so scared lifting it up, seeing the potential damage that could have occurred...

Turns out the screen and system is in perfect condition, still! Not a single scratch on it! Wow, am I a lucky SOB! :D

That sucks to hear thunder9111. :(

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
So like the dumbass that I am, I dropped my N7 AGAIN on the same bathroom hard tile floor! This time it fell roughly 2 or 2.5 feet down SCREEN FIRST! I was so scared lifting it up, seeing the potential damage that could have occurred...

Turns out the screen and system is in perfect condition, still! Not a single scratch on it! Wow, am I a lucky SOB! :D

That sucks to hear thunder9111. :(

Are you getting stoned in the bathroom?

bjadams44

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought my N7 at Staples while on vacation. I had to stalk the store to get one and when I did they offered me a year accident policy for $40. I never buy extended warranties but considering they only had the 8 gig so I was "saving" $50 and Google was giving me $25 back, I got the extra coverage. I've dropped and seen dropped too many things lately so this looked like something I should get.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by king43
buy one from brick and mortar store and do a switharoo... Totally unethical but would get you a new one and staples has a 1yr accidental plan for 40bux

Not just unethical, but also illegal. It's fraud, theft, etc. Please don't promote breaking the law. I'm pretty sure this violates forum rules. BTW, serial numbers are checked upon return, so this unethical/illegal idea wouldn't get very far.

It's definitely wrong, and if they record the serial number at purchase and catch you returning a different serial number they have the right to have you arrested and sue you.

TheTimmyC

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Cracked my screen after 2 days of owning it. It is completely unusable. I spent $10 to ship it back to ASUS for a non-warranty repair. It took them 9 days to even look at it. I got an email today telling me my $199/8GB tablet will cost $150 to fix it!!! What a joke! I'm probably going to tell them to keep it because I have to pay another $10 just to ship it back to me. $170 for repairing a $199 tablet. Out-frickin-rageous!

ASUS is a really bad company. I would never buy a computer from them so I don't know why I bought the Nexus 7. Probably because it had Google's name on it.

ASUS, get with 2012 and use gorilla glass. Your 2009 original iPad parts aren't cutting it.

milaremi

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
@ qdroid:
I originally called Goog. They pushed me off to Asus since the screen is cracked and that automatically makes it a non-warranty repair. Like I posted, mine is currently at Asus for non-warranty repair, but will be inspected first and then they will contact me with repair details. I'm hoping the repair tech sees there is no damage to the unit and that this may be a defect.
Here is the number to Asus Support: 877-339-2787. Follow the phone prompts for Eee-Pad as this tablet is in the Eee-Pad family. I had to get an RMA from Asus to return it. They've had it since Thurs 7/26 and no update yet.

Thanks for posting this info, since I too dropped my Nexus 7 last night about 12" from a bed to a wood floor. Friggin' screen cracked - so I'm checking out this route. Any idea what ASUS is charging to fix it? Thanks again! <edit> - Saw post above after posting this....probably NOT going to go this route! <edit>. Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance