Was your Nexus 7 defective or in Perfect condition?

smitjeh

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
There has been many reports of defects so out of interest is your unit defective or working fine?

Mine is working perfectly fine

16gb model bought from PC world in UK

UPDATE - Up to Post #455

347 Total Units

307 - 16GB
40 - 8GB

Total Defective

127 - 16GB
6 - 8GB

Total Percentage Defective
36% Defective

16GB Defective - 41%
8GB Defective - 15%

Keep the posts coming

These are starting to become quite scary figures, the majority are the screen not being stuck down properly.

I agree that the results are probably biased towards defective units so these figures can only be taken with a pinch of salt.

What defect rate do you think a company would feel is acceptable for a new product like this?

If I take the screen lift out of the equation, the percentages are as follows.

UPDATE

I have removed units with just the screen issue, if they had the screen lift plus other problems I have still counted them. The defective percentages are still pretty high even without the screen lift.

Total Defective - 25%

16GB Defective - 27%
8GB Defective - 5%

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

paulsam7

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Perfect condition! Fresh off the truck at Staples this AM (July 25). Already have just about all the apps I need loaded, also have a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. Waiting for delivery of a Kingston Wifi Drive (auto correct wanted to call that a "wife" drive, :p )

TheTechGuy

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
When did you buy yours? I just bought a 16 from Staples today. Haven't opened it yet. Not sure if I want to keep it.
I had pre-ordered from Google Play while they were still on the stage. When everyone was going to the stores and getting there's before I received mine I got impatient and went to my local Staples when it said it was available online. When I got to the store they didn't have them out. I went to Customer Service and asked for it. Apparently they only got 4 in the original inventory, I bought the 3rd one and I assure I'm not having any of the problems reported here on the forums. If you have it in hand open it up and enjoy it. If you have a problem make sure you have your receipt handy.

Sorry for the long winded story. I'm still waiting for my refuse delivery from UPS to return to google from my original order.

CDuke0619

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
16gb from staples perfect. Still bought the 1 year warranty from them which includes any accidental damage for only $40 bucks which I considered only to be 25 since I didn't have to pay for shipping through Google play since I refused it when it came

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got my 16gb nexus, I've inspected it thoroughly, it was actually the first thing I did. I picked it up from Staples. To anyone who purchased the protection plan, does it really cover accidents.

Breezy Beach

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I didn't purchase the plan because I treat it like my newborn baby!

Just FYI - This thing squats over the ipad and drops a nice long peanut-filled turd on it!!!

Clyde S Dale

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
16gb purchased through Play. In portrait mode there is a small amount of play and a little creak on the bezel on the left hand edge. I wouldn't call it a defect. If it gets worse I'll pop off the back and tighten the screws.

What was wholly defective was Google's handling of pre-orders.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
16 GB from Staples. I've had it for 3 days now, I've looked for dead pixels on many different colored backgrounds, but could not find any. I've look up close and saw no issues with the glass coming up or sliding away from the bezel. So far it seems perfect.

Are there any other issues people have been reporting that I should look for?

I just got my 16gb nexus, I've inspected it thoroughly, it was actually the first thing I did. I picked it up from Staples. To anyone who purchased the protection plan, does it really cover accidents.
There are two levels of protection plans, a cheaper one and a more expensive one, the more expensive one does cover accidents, I think.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
DEFECTIVE OUT OF THE BOX!

Timeline of Misery and Google Fail:

* Wed., June 27 - Ordered 16GB model from Google Play while the I/O dog and pony show was still going on.

* Fri., July 13 - Receive email that it had shipped.

* Tues., July 17 - Arrives at home; is immediately revealed to be defective with glowing gray screen. Call Google Play and wait 45 mins. before a frazzled kid tells me they've had a lot of calls and all they were doing was telling people to wait to be contacted by week's end.

* Fri., July 20 - After no contact, called Play and waited for 30 mins. before a apologetic girl promises to re-escalate the ticket and personally tell someone to get hold of me ASAP.

* Sat., July 21 - After 24 hours and no contact, replied to her contact email asking what's up?

* Mon., July 23 - Still no reply, so sent another email. Later that night received return label and link to order replacement from Play store. Did that immediately, as of now, no word as to when it will ship.

* Tues., July 24 - Dropped off failed unit at UPS Store. In it's way back.

* Weds., July 25 - Waiting for a working unit. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

* Thurs., July 26 - Received shipping notice and tracking number. ETA tomorrow, which would make it one month to the day from when I ordered it. Here's to hoping it's a good one.

* Fri., July 27 - Screen looks beautiful on the new one. The left edge is a hair above the trim; is this the "screen lifting" others have been talking about. It's going to be going into a case, so I'm not sure how problematic this will be.

I can tell the N7 is a slick bit of kit, but the experience of dealing with the Play store for hardware makes them a non-starter for any future hardware business. If Google thinks they're going to be able to stand on their tippy-toes to lick the bottom of Amazon's and Apple's boots with their feeble store, they're smoking crack, meth, and kitty litter.

Last edited:

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Pre-ordered at Gamestop the day they announced them available to preorder at Gamestop.

Had the first pre-order and was first to pick up.

Had the defective left side of the screen where it stuck up a bit. Decided to live with it.

Last night I decided I would rather have the device I paid for ya know? So last night I called the store to inform them that the device had a defect and since it was within 30 days I wanted to make sure I informed them before hand, and told them I was aware that it would probably be into August or September.

Got a call from the store they had my replacement. Brand spanking new one they had overnighted (No idea how they did that)

Perefect device right out of the box no screen issues or anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995