Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

New to this forum and loving it so far. Searched and couldn't find a thread for Tips and Tricks with the Nexus 7. If you found anything post it up and perhaps someone didn't know about it.

One thing I noticed is in Google Chrome if you have multiple tabs open you can just swipe the screen to change them. Don't have to click on them. So if you have like 6 tabs open just start swiping the right side of the screen and it changes them.

Anyone got any tips or tricks to share? I'd personally love to read em so I can get the most out of this device.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Only because a lot of people didn't know from ICS and it carried to Jelly Bean. If you want to disable an app that is hard coded into the OS.

SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > ALL > [Click on the app you want]

As long as it isn't a core app required to run the OS, it will let you disable it. Added another half hour to my average battery life on my phone. Haven't gauged the Nexus 7 yet.

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
my first experience with Android as well. I put Android on my HP Touchpad awhile back, but sold it shortly after so never really got a chance to try it. Its a great OS so far. Would love if the tips keep coming

lochmox

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
When you play MKV, AVI, or such video files, the stock video player will not work and MX player will only support S/W, S/W fast which blurs the video.

Try dice player (you can get it from play store) and it will support H/W, which kills my nexus 7 batter a lot quicker but plays video without too much pix-elation and such.

Reactions: BlueSauce

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I bought VPlayer with my Google money. Works wonders for all files I have uploaded so far. I think it integrates with the Movies & TV app as well.

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
.....wow....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

what? lol

Nothing to contribute to the tips and tricks thread? Just leave then.

catfight.gif

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a tip, but maybe it can turn out to be one:

First, what does Google call it's version of Siri, Voice assistant? Anyway, has anyone figured out a way to schedule a future appointment or reminder? I'll say "Remind me tomorrow to..." and it comes back with not able to schedule by date. Maybe I'm just speaking it wrong?

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
yeah I've been trying different voice commands. I thought it was more like Siri, but guess not. I ask it the weather, but it comes up in Fahrenheit and not in Celsius. Anyone know how to fix this?

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Fairly obvious, but some people might not know.

You can go to the google play website and download and install apps right from there. At work I'll usually check that site and find a few apps. It will remotely send them to your device and when I get home they are installed and ready to go :).

Plus the interface is just a bit easier. It allows you to see what works with the Nexus 7. what doesn't... etc.

Reactions: parksdept