Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Go into settings-about tablet-android version.......tap android version four or five times and then long press the big jelly bean.

That works on all versions of android....at least the multiple tapping portion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

grafx1

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Ever want to print from your Nexus 7? If you have a network enabled or WiFi printer, then you may be able to print. You just have to get the free Cloud Print app and configure your printer through the GOOGLE Cloud Print page. To print, you just hit the 3 dot configure button and choose Share. Then choose Cloud Print. I only tried it on a web page so far.

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've just discovered one. In Google Now, clicking on the weather card brings you to a Google search in Chrome, with a large weather card at the top. The trick/tip is, you can drag your finger along the time interval to see the expected temperature, humidity, wind, and precipitation. Pretty handy if you wanna plan some outside events (especially here in New York where we get 90* weather with 100% humidity!).

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Amazon Prime can be watched using the dolphin browser, one less reason to get a kindle. This is per Eileen on All about android. I don't have a membership myself.
Nope. Needs Flash, which isn't available through the Play store. Amazon just launched an Instant Video app for the iPad, but it's widely suspected that they won't do an Android version in order to get people to come to the Fire instead.

atest123

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
All the google now commands. I did not come up with this list I found it on some website and I can't remember its name.

Convenience
Remind me to ______ in (time). // Note to self _______.
Call the (place) in (location)
Send SMS/text to (contact). Message, _______.
Send email to ______, subject ____, message _______.
Set alarm for (time a.m. / p.m.), label ______.
Listen to/Play/Show me (song)
Weather + day + place
(Business) in (Location)
Navigate/directions to ______. (by.... foot/car/etc)
Where is (place/business) in (location)
Map of ________.
Go to (URL).

Sports
When is the next (team) game?
How are the (team) doing?
Who do the (team) play next?
Did the (team) win their last game?

Time
What time is it in (location)?
When is sunrise/sunset in (location)?
What timezone is (location) in?
When was (holiday)?
When is (holiday) in (year)?

Calculations/Conversions
What's ____ in _____?
Percent of (number)?
.... And pretty much any other mathematical simple calculation.

Flights
(flight) (number)

Stocks
(stock)

Knowledge/Facts
What's the cast of (movie/show)?
Who produced (movie/show)?
Who founded ________?
Where did (person) go to college? (try natalie portman)
Define/What is (word)?
How much is ____ worth? (try Angelina Jolie)
Who wrote ______?
Area/zip code (number).
What movies did (person) play in?
(animal) species in (location).
How long is _________? (movie,bridges,etc)
How old is (person)?
What is the height requirement for (amusement park ride)? (try space mountain if none work)
What is the capital of _______?

Language
Translate to (language), __________.

Image Search
Pictures of _______.

Fun
Do a barrel roll.
What's the Meaning of Life, the universe, and everything?
I'm hungry.

chrishordley

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Google Now >
"I need shirts"
Google: "Sending note to self - I need shirts"
(sends to gmail with subject line: Note to Self")

"I have a doctors appt tomorrow at 6pm"
Google: "Setting alarm for tomorrow at 6pm"

I am still messing with the voice to tasks, schedules, alarms and calendars.
Please post up if you have any more commands that work well.

Thanks.
Will I need an umbrella in ....today?

chrishordley

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Needs Flash, which isn't available through the Play store. Amazon just launched an Instant Video app for the iPad, but it's widely suspected that they won't do an Android version in order to get people to come to the Fire instead.
No flash on jelly bean is a pain as in UK and BBC iplayer wont work on Nexus.I use my icecream sandwich Galaxy Note but did access my PC using Splashtop Whiteboard app and used the PC to get the iplayer and then watched it on my Nexus.This would work for other sreaming. Whiteboard version is what it says and makes your tablet a mini whiteboard which you can use easier than laptop to do projected presentations etc. You need the pc and obviously a projector

Budius

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I used "remind me to __do_something__ tomorrow at 8" and it worked nicely.
Also for weather you can literally just say "weather" and it will work.

Daniel C

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Because they usually are. Most ICS apps work fine. Google won't release them to the wild until certain paperwork has been filled out.

You've been lied to.

When you create an app, you can specify various requirements of the devices that it'll be available for. For example, you can specify that the app only show up for devices running a particular version of Android and and later via the "minSdkVersion" flag. You can also set the highest version of Android the app will be permitted for with the "maxSdkVersion" flag. Google recommends against doing this because it makes apps that would work fine be unavailable to newer devices/versions of Android.

Warning: Declaring this attribute is not recommended. First, there is no need to set the attribute as means of blocking deployment of your application onto new versions of the Android platform as they are released. By design, new versions of the platform are fully backward-compatible. Your application should work properly on new versions, provided it uses only standard APIs and follows development best practices.

You can read all the details here.

TL; DR: It's the developer's fault, not Google's.

Reactions: kwarner666

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Another thing I found.

If you start the clock app it will bring up a big digital clock on the screen.

But if you tap it once it will dim the screen wasting less battery, but still visable in a dark room. Tap again and it lights back up.

My Galaxy Nexus had this from ICS and also on JB. Once you've brought up the clock, press and hold, the screen changes to a blue digital clock on black background. From here a single tap will dim it out (same black screen/blue clock). I would assume its the same on the Nexus7 although I don't have one on hand to confirm it's the same. nice option to have although I never use it.

still_smoking

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Meh.

Click to view quoted image

ob.tip
The rotation lock is hidden at the top in the notification bar.
For example, you can unlock, rotate to landscape, then relock. That keeps it in landscape, except for home screen.

for those who this is an issue, try "ultimate rotation control" in Play Store. it is a 7 day trial and then $2.99, seems a bit steep, but works great for those who want home screen rotation abilities.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Two apps to compensate the lack of MHL on the Nexus 7:

BubbleUPnp and semperVidLinks

Those seem like nice apps, but I am still hoping to find a way to just connect my N7 to a television without the need of a PC or a console. Really wish they would just allow MHL support. Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade software to handle it or if hardware is missing inside the device?

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site

This isn't true. Amazon doesnt make more money by having you on a Kindle fire. They just want you in the ecosystem. This app will be coming to Android. Eventually. Just like the Kindle, Amazon MP3, and Amazon app.