Out and About with my N7

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Been taking my N7 out and about at lunch, really increase the pleasure of my work day, especially out and about.

The N7 is small and compact enough that I can still eat and surf the web on a tiny bistro (Starbucks) table. Have my tilt case, Galaxy Nexus sitting right next to it and I never miss a phone call, text or email.

Remote into my desktop and it's like I'm back at my desk. WiFi connects everywhere including my Gnex hotspot and the N7 never misses a step.

When I'm done; I slip the phone in my pocket, and the N7 folds into the size of a DVD case under the arms..!

It's so funny to see the people around me trying to pack up their laptops or net-books, iPads and iPhones into heavy backpacks.

I even comfortably took a Skype video call today at lunch, pop on the earphones, and the entire restaurant background noise disappears. Talk on the phone, while surfing comfortably, all the while the N7 slowly sips the battery, love it...!

Gonna watch a movie or a tv show tomorrow during lunch; yes I've done all that I've said just with just my Gnex & earphones before, but the experience now along with my N7 really completes the package.

What are you experiences of being out with your N7..?

Fuzzone

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been doing all this and more with my Nexus 7.

One thing that has really impressed me is Google Now! I get up in the morning and my Nexus is sitting on my nightstand with Google Now showing me all my appointments for the day and how long it will take me to get to each one. First one on top is the commute to work along with the estimated time, road conditions, traffic map. Below that is the weather for today. Below that comes the next appointment and then the next in sequence. What surprised and pleased me the most is that I have not had to set up any of this manually. I have been using Google latitude on my Android phone for a long time so Google has all my info and can predict where I live and where I work and what route I usually take. When it comes time to leave Google Now starts showing me the same info for the trip back home.

Google Now also predicted and calculated the time needed to travel to a place that I only visit once a week. I don't understand the algorithm that Google uses to predict this but I am not complaining as long as it makes my life easier.

Send best thing is the battery life. I have been using my N7 for the last 18 hours and the battery is down to 33% only. And I have constantly been checking my corporate and personal emails, appointments and tasks for the day. Taking notes (both manually and using text-to-speech) listening to online streaming radio and watching Downton Abbey (second season) on Amazon instant video. Another surprise is that my HTC Incredible 2 finally got a break and hence its battery life has almost doubled now:)

Just 5 years ago no one could predict something like this would be possible in such a short span of time. They only imagined it. In Nexus 7 we now have the perfect pairing of great hardware with cutting edge software.

Best investment I have made in a long time.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 7 looks around the right size, that I probably wouldn't be embarrassed to take it out and use in public. But I probably won't much, since it's too bulky for pockets, so I'll still be using my Galaxy Nexus when I'm out in public.

I would never consider using my iPad 3 in public though, it just looks too big, stands out too much, and I'm afraid I might be mistaken for an Apple fanboy.

pageo

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving it.

The 7" form factor meets my definition of "pocketable", which is something that fits in a jacket pocket or cargo pant pocket and thus does not require a carrying strap and/or case. If I have to carry it, I might as well have a notebook/ultrabook.

The 7" screen is large and clear enough to handle tasks via websites, thus not requiring apps (many of which are just front-ends to a subset of the actual website) and providing a consistent UI across tab, laptop and desktop.

I enabled WiFi Personal HotSpot on my iPhone (AT&T in the US) and thus have internet wherever there is cell service. Will look into SmartTalk (WalMart's cell service) which offers unlimited voice, data and text for about $50/month and only use the phone for voice calls, snapshots and an internet gateway for the N7.

Will be moving the books and documents which I access daily, from my Nook Color. Though the Nook Color is a great device, it is under powered for a general purpose tablet. N7 also allows me the choice of using Nook, Kindle, Google, etc stores and clouds.

Disappointment: no external data sources, eg SD/CF card reader, thumb drive, etc. I'd like to be able to read and save pics from my camera, without needing an extra computer. Maybe a WiFi or Bluetooth card reader and some Android software to access it?

I'm not easily impressed ... and the N7 is impressive.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is more portable than I initially thought it would be. I've been able to carry it in my back pocket when I'm out and about and feel like taking it with. I'm using a cloth bag that one of my girlfriend's old Coach purses came in as a case for now. It's working out pretty well.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 looks around the right size, that I probably wouldn't be embarrassed to take it out and use in public. But I probably won't much, since it's too bulky for pockets, so I'll still be using my Galaxy Nexus when I'm out in public.

I would never consider using my iPad 3 in public though, it just looks too big, stands out too much, and I'm afraid I might be mistaken for an Apple fanboy.

God forbid you're mistaken for an Apple fanboy:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

julesR

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It's so funny to see the people around me trying to pack up their laptops or net-books, iPads and iPhones into heavy backpacks.

Had that same experience..no more getting up a couple minutes early to pack.. When I'm done I just tuck it under my arm or in my purse and go. My poor little laptop has not left the house since I got the n7 as I can do everything I need to during the day with it. I'm also very impressed with google now.