NAS for the N7

lasty12

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Got my N7 a few days ago and loving it..

Just wondered if anyone knows of a NAS drive that can be Plugged into a router at home and will let you browse via Chrome to files to stream music/ video?

After several hours of research I haven't been able to find anything that will definitively work with the N7..

Thanks in advance :)

Roberts3000

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I use a pogoplug. Works perfect, can use Chrome but easier to just use the pogoplug app from the play store . They have some sort of desktop sharing app but I never tried it. I use the NAS hardware device they sell. You can pick them up for as low as $30 on buy.com or amazon. Just add your own drives.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bcisys

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks bcisys.

Do you know if there is anything in the range of 500Gb+ ?

The Seagate GoFlex Satellite is a 500gb wifi-enabled portable hard drive marketed mostly for iPad users, but the write-up on Amazon says it works well with Android too. As with the Kensington, I haven't used it yet myself, but I'm also looking for something like this. If you're stuck on a plane for 7 hours each way, it would be nice to have access to more the 16gb of media, right?

On Amazon, it has 64 five-star ratings, 44 four-stars, a smattering of 3- and 2-stars, and 42 one-stars. Based on that, people either love it or have big problems with it. Your mileage may vary.

Here's the link to the Amazon page for the GoFlex Satellite:

Amazon.com: Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage 500 GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive STBF500101 Black: Electronics

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called File Manager HD that allows you to stream from Windows NFS shares. I have an Ubuntu Server with SAMBA setup. The 2TB hard drive in the server lets me store a lot of media.

beavo451

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You can get a uPnP/DLNA media server NAS and use an app like MediaHouse that can access the media server. Couple that with MX Player and you can play pretty much any video.

Reactions: Clyde S Dale

martcal

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I use ES File Manager which can access all sharing files on your LAN, you can also copy and paste to and from devices, including Android via Bluetooth. I also use MX Player for video and Power Amp for audio.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

lasty12

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Update:

Received the Kingston with drive 64Gb yesterday and it works very well, connecting is straightforward and data access from more than one device simultaneously is seamless.

If this capacity is enough for you then I would highly recommend!

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have an old synology diskstation that i can access from within my network using ES File explorer. Outside of my network I can access through FTP.

Like the other poster, I also have a Pogoplug that has 3 external hard drives connected to it. I had some old PATA hard drives and that I put into enclosures that were in my gadget closet. Works great and I have about 1TB of my own personal cloud through the Pogoplug app. I bought the Pogoplug classic for about $25 around xmas. I've seen the new V4 Pogoplug and Mobile go on sale for around $50. I can access my pogoplug within my network too through ES File Explorer.

I also bought a Tonidoplug, same thing as a pogoplug but it's more of a 2.5" hard drive enclosure with an ethernet port. Sets up almost the same way and uses their own app.

The new Synology diskstation will allow you access through their app, thought about buying one but i have access to most all of my music and pictures for now.

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a Seagate Goflex Satellite 500gb to stream transcoded DVDs to an N7, HTC One X, and an iPad. Concurrently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles