Regarding landscape mode

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. First of all i havent officially set up my nexus 7. That said using the browser ive gone to various sites like amazon cnn nytimes internet archives to see an old mivie etc and IT DOES NOT GO into landscape when i turn it from portrait. Is that because i havent firmally set it up. I wanted to test it first. What am i doing wrong?

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
By default landsace mode isn't possible on the Nexus 7. You need to add a third party app to enable it. I use quick settings which has an auto rotation toggle and no root needed. here's the link:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd&token=FNtfOcqQ

BTW you need to add the auto rotation toggle by going to settings on the app then customize.

Reviews indicated that just the home screen was in portrait and most other websites were in landscape. Is that not the case? So the app you mentioned is required to do any landscape? And then you have to go into the app's settings and toggle auto rotation.? Seems odd that a tablet just does portrait. But tnx

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Reviews indicated that just the home screen was in portrait and most other websites were in landscape. Is that not the case? So the app you mentioned is required to do any landscape? And then you have to go into the app's settings and toggle auto rotation.? Seems odd that a tablet just does portrait. But tnx

Yes that's right this app enables everything on landscape munis the home screen. Yes you need to go to the app, theres a auto rotation toggle. There are other apps in the play store that will enable landscape on the home screen. Yes everyone is scratching their heads as to why Google didn't include a portrait landscape toggle.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just read that all you need to do is toggle the rotation lock in The notification panel to get landscape everywhere BUT the home screen and that one of the apps will put homescreen in landscape. Did you not know about the notification panel rotation lock?.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I just read that all you need to do is toggle the rotation lock in The notification panel to get landscape everywhere BUT the home screen and that one of the apps will put homescreen in landscape. Did you not know about the notification panel rotation lock?.

No i didnt just tried it and it works, thanks.

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm running go launcher HD which is free and will allow landscape home screen. For landscape mode in everything else just turn auto rotate on in the settings menu

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Use Apex or Nova launcher as they were created to work with ICS and Jelly Bean. Go Launcher is very old and does not receive app updates anymore.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I use GoLauncher and it also supports a landscape home screen.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I expect some sort of update from Google at some point for this.

what you guys think?

Doubtful. At least not for the home screen. The Phone UI, which the N7 uses (somewhat), was designed to be portrait.

As said before, Nova and Apex launchers are optimized for Android 4.0+, I'd recommend those over any of the others that were based on Gingerbread which open up a slew of customization options including enabled landscape on the home screen.

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Crazy. I figured from the complaints they would just update it to allow it. Kind of like when the iPhone came out without landscape then they updated it.

I'll look into those apps I think. I get annoyed exiting an app in landscape and it goes back to portrait.

half the time I just say screw it and navigate around sideways lol

paulsam7

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Ultimate Rotation will allow the Home Screen to rotate automatically, and it ONLY deals with rotation - it's not an alternate launcher. This is the simplest way.

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Ultimate Rotation will allow the Home Screen to rotate automatically, and it ONLY deals with rotation - it's not an alternate launcher. This is the simplest way.

Agreed! I downloaded this app and it made everything so simple and still keep the stock look. Love it.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if there's a way to make the volume not be opposite when trying to change it in landscape mode? If I try to turn the volume up, (or towards the right rather), the volume goes down and vice versa on the other side.

paulsam7

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if there's a way to make the volume not be opposite when trying to change it in landscape mode? If I try to turn the volume up, (or towards the right rather), the volume goes down and vice versa on the other side.

You're kidding, right? The button always works the same way - the side closer to the power button raises volume, the side further from the power button lowers it. You really think that because you've got it in landscape mode "up" should be to the right? What if you switch it to portrait with the buttons on the left? Same thing? Please, just learn what the hardware does.