Keeping Nexus 7 from turning screen off.

wtom95831

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way that the Nexus 7 stays turned on if you are looking at the screen? I'm getting tired of the screen turning off while I'm still reading...

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
In settings you should be able to set the sleep cycle: Settings/(Device) Display/Sleep.

Though it would be nice for your reading app to interrupt this setting, a la Netflix. Where are you having this problem?

I am testing Kindle App, Google Books, and Pocket to see if they respect the device setting or ignore it for a better reading experience. I'll edit as necessary. My device is set to sleep in a minute.

• Kindle App ignores it. I'm not sure of the timeout, but it has remained alive for far more than three minutes so far, sitting on an open page unattended.
  • Pocket went to sleep in a minute, per my OS settings.
  • Google Books ignores the setting. It has been sitting on an open page for more than four minutes.

Now I am interested in finding the ceilings of these programs.

Last edited:

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Great tip! (Edit: That really is a great tip..)

All of my tests were conducted with the tablet sitting unattended on the table next to me (I'm tapping this out on a laptop).

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't know that you would want 'always on' cuz that would really drain your battery. You can adjust here :

Settings - - Display - - Sleep

If it's a book app you're looking reading, mine doesn't shut off then.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX