Phones that will Wifi with Nexus?

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Hotspot or root. That simple. And your N7 Will NEVER connect to Verizon directly. It does not have that radio. Not only would it be expensive, it would be IMPOSSIBLE!

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
because currently I have their unlimited plan which requires an additional 30 dollars per month to add the hot spot. My only alternative he's moving to 1 of their new shared plans and because my device is not a Verizon device it's not supposed to work on that either.

I added tethering a few days ago to my plan just to try it out. I'm an idiot for paying, I know, but I'm just looking at options. I did not lose my unlimited data when I did it. Go to Verizon's site, login, and change it from there. I am out of contract though. N7 sees it just fine.

I'm becoming convinced that a tethering plan or hotspot solution is almost a necessity at this point. None of us liked buying a data plan back in the day when we moved to smart phones. Tethering is becoming the new data plan.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting more and more frustrated with this Bluetooth (often lack of) Bluetooth connection between my Rezound and N7. I didn't buy my N7 to leave at home! I'm going in circles and winding up at a dead end.

Rezound tethering was banned by VZW. My N7 isn't a VZW device so adding it to my account would be a waste of money and ongoing monthly expense I don't need. FoxFi won't work because of the ban.

My Rezound is only 5-6 mos old so I can't do a subsidized upgrade but getting a little desperate so considering outright purchase of a Galaxy S3 although would prefer the Note, don't think the Note will run on the VZW network :(

Much as I'd love a new Galaxy device it would be a HUGE stretch to justify purchasing a new phone.

Will my old Thunderbolt also fall under the banned Wifi thing? I have a feeling if I fired it up again it would probably update the software. What OS version (by name not number please) would I have? I don't really want to go backwards but VZW has my hands tied. When you have a 6mos old phone you do not expect it to not work with something just 6mos newer.

Is there a way to get VZW to lift this ban?

If my TBolt is not tether-banned could I not just get an additional sim card so that I wouldn't have to swap out my sim card if I wanted to use my TBolt for WIFI but my Rezound for everything else? On VZW's new plans I would not have to pay for two phones it doesn't look like because you can add up to 10 devices.

Well now it should be unblocked soon. FCC said Verizon can't block it.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
FoxFi supports what FoxFi supports, and it doesn't support what it doesn't support, and it's free. And, no, your phone is not too old to support FoxFi, but it's an HTC phone that is not running Ice Cream Sandwich so it won't support WIFI using FoxFi. If your phone ever gets an ICS upgrade or you switched to a Samsung, LG, or Motorola phone (even an older one), you'd be able to use WiFi. I'm in the exact same boat with my HTC Thunderbolt - it's still on Gingerbread and is therefore not WiFi capable in FoxFi.

Technically, the "correct" if unpleasant answer is "if you want tethering on your Verizon Unlimited plan, Verizon offers and has long offered tethering on Verizon Unlimited plans - cough up the dough and pay for it".

However, having said all that, and reiterating the whole "terms of service violation" thing, if you want to proceed and try to get tethering for free using free apps...

I have not tried this (since mine is a corporate-issued phone and violating the terms of service on behalf of my employer seems a very unwise career move) but there is an app called PdaNet Tablet that supposedly proxies the normally-unsupported-over-Bluetooth Internet apps and makes them work over Bluetooth.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.pdanet.tablet2&token=e6_KYbF9

It came up as the second search result from a search on the Play Store for FoxFi.

All I can say is that I do have ICS and I do have a Samsung phone, and Foxfi does not work... I have tried many many times.

sandyvern

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
There are times when I question my sanity for staying with T-Mobile....but I sure do love my tethering ability :D. Comes in handy for both my Xoom and my KF.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Androhead27

yankswinagain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
FCC only states Verizon can not block tether and tether apps. Does not say they can not charge you to tether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I believe other stories I have read indicate they can't charge....

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
FCC only states Verizon can not block tether and tether apps. Does not say they can not charge you to tether.

Very first paragraph of the article linked...

Verizon was ordered to stop charging users an additional fee for using their 4G smartphones and tablets as Wi-Fi hotspots, aka tethering.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
They cannot charge but this only applies to pay per use plans and not the unlimited plan. So if you are on unlimited I believe they can charge or force you to a metered plan. I'm on unlimited for now and it's a corporate phone so I'm going to wait a few weeks and see what the results are first.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
They cannot charge but this only applies to pay per use plans and not the unlimited plan. So if you are on unlimited I believe they can charge or force you to a metered plan. I'm on unlimited for now and it's a corporate phone so I'm going to wait a few weeks and see what the results are first.

How would they know? Couldn't you sideload the .apk?

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
By the amount of data your pipe was pulling down. You use 10 gigs in one month, they may ask questions.

There's no reason you couldn't be streaming and downloading music and movies on your phone and using that much data, right? I would think you could.

For someone like me who only wants to tether to use the larger screen of the tablet to do the same things they'd do on the phone, I doubt there'd be much of a data increase to be seen.

Reactions: Androhead27

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
By the amount of data your pipe was pulling down. You use 10 gigs in one month, they may ask questions.

I tend to think they might be interested in anyone who is suddenly using more data no matter what. I went from like 100mbs to almost 6mbs since I got my N7. Right now I'm fighting buying a Galaxy S 3 or changing to VZW share everything cuz I've given up on Bluetooth. It's messed w/my phone and N7 one to many times now with it's connection ad-hoc thing changing on me all the time. I just spent an hour getting back on my original home network setup. I'm trying to wait out ICS but I'm lusting over that GS3 soooo bad right now. If I hadn't had to wait for my cable guy I prolly would have one in my hands right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2