must have apps??

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello all! I just got my Nexus 7 tablet today (at Brandsmart USA - NO TAX!!), been loving it so far. I'm in a download frenzy, so I just wanted to know - what are some must have apps? I want to spend my $25 credit on all games but I know I'll probably want some kind of keyboard/typing app and some utility apps. Any suggestions?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Android Central Forums app is pretty cool. It's free =)

SwiftKey 3 keyboard for tablets is a must have IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tntdroid

julesR

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Evernote, taptu, netlix are my most used apps besides the games and readers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Tablet Talk (if you have an Android phone) is a must have.

I love Pocket and Flipboard.

I agree with SwiftKey X for Tablet... Landscape mode is nuts.

There is an xkcd app, if you're into that. It remains on my home screen.

BeyondPod is my favorite pod catcher, I've been using D7 for RSS (and looking for alternatives... hint, hint).

Get a file browser, I use AndroZip.

Lookout scans installs for problems, most other features touted are likely insincere, however, due to Android's sandboxing stuff.

I use Flick Note for syncing with Simplenote. It is a great app: simple, full-featured.

Perhaps that is about it for the moment... And I do mean 'moment' :)

I use Nova for a launcher after using alternatives (I still use ADW on the phone). I love Nova on the Nexus 7.

Mocha VNC has been my desktop sharing go-to... I'm still having trouble with copying and pasting between desktops, however.

Last edited:

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
MUST download antivirus. Either Avast or Lookout. The odds of getting malware are low but if we all inoculate we can keep it that way. You don't like small pox do you? I only wish people had taken PC security more seriously.

After that get a few games to get used to the device. Where's My Perry is good. 10tonnes makes some nice stuff as well.

I like having the Amazon appstore as well just in case.

Reactions: coyandsundry

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
If you like wifi, brightness, and other toggles in your notification tray, then Elixir 2 is very nice.

If you are rooted, Titantium Backup Pro and Adaway are nice too.

And it's up to you, but I think common sense is more effective than anti-virus apps on a smartphone/tablet. So I don't load that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: andyandroid81891

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
As Ravynmagi said, Titanium Backup Pro. In fact I'll go so far as to say that I would never use Android again if TBUP did not exist. It's that important to me.

I was frustrated beyond belief with my first Android device (piece of crap Samsung Droid Charge). The software was so buggy that I had to repeatedly reformat the internal memory of my phone, each time losing all my downloaded apps (100+) and losing all my save progress in my games.

Even though N7 should have near-perfect stability and no reason to reformat anytime soon, you shouldn't take the chance. If you play games, this is a mandatory app and well worth its cost. Yes it requires root, but do it (note that unlocking the bootloader in order to root will wipe the entire contents of your N7).

Reactions: ABJUNKMAN

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
MUST download antivirus. Either Avast or Lookout. The odds of getting malware are low but if we all inoculate we can keep it that way. You don't like small pox do you? I only wish people had taken PC security more seriously.

After that get a few games to get used to the device. Where's My Perry is good. 10tonnes makes some nice stuff as well.

I like having the Amazon appstore as well just in case.

I disagree. Being smart about what you download, and where you visit, is the best defense - as it is for every platform available now.

Anyways, Pocket and Flipboard are both must haves, in my opinion.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
First thing to do is unlock and root it. If u wait and start filling up that little bit of space you have you'll end up loosing every thing. Then flash aokp then start loading apps first app is root explore then titituam backup then side load flash and Firefox browser.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So people are actually saying don't use Avast? Is there a harm?

I look at it like this, I don't plan to step on a rusty nail but I get tetanus shots. I don't expect a virus but if someone does get one by Google and myself I have a third line of defense. I'm also thinking of all the people that aren't as careful. Viruses spread from them. If we force inoculate them then viruses won't ever become prevalent. More foresight with windows would have changed the face of computing.

Avast also has theft, privacy, and modest firewall controls. There's no reason not to have it.

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
File manager - Solid Explorer (great file manager in general, on tablets also gives you two panels to work with)

Keyboard - Swiftkey 3 (better than stock in every way)

Social apps - Skype (pretty self explanatory), Flipboard (the best all around reader)

Customization - Ultimate Custom Clock Widget (create your own widgets with ton of options), Minimalistic Text (also create your own widgets but focused mostly on text widgets), HD Widgets (big screen needs some big and hi-quality widgets)

Games - Dead Trigger (despite all the recent BS with the game's developer, it's still one of the best game on Android), Demolition Inc (strategically blow sh*t up), Major Mayhem (simple game but fun as hell), Obscura (fun platformer with great art style), Roboto (another fun platformer), and of course some emulators like SNesoid, Gensoid, Mupen64.

Security - App Lock (protect any app with a password), LBE Security Guard (*root required* permission manager with an easy-to-use interface).
Side note: no, you do NOT need an anti-virus app. Just stay off the Chinese markets and don't side-load shady apps, and you'll be fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15