Nexus 7 for note taking?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I take *a lot* of notes with my N7, professionally, at home and with the community volunteer work I do. Here's my set-up:

- Evernote. It's effectively my "My Documents" folder in the cloud now. All of my everything is there.
- Swype - It's *very* fast to enter text by swiping across letters. It's completely possible to take notes in real time as a presentation is going on or as people are speaking in a meeting, I do it all the time.
- DPI change - As recommended by Richard Devine when the N7 was released. This allows tablet-view of Swype which provides a smaller keyboard. This makes everything even faster. How to: Alter the DPI on your Nexus 7 to bring up that bigger tablet feel | Android Central
- Stylus - I use a Boxwave stylus, but there are a number of good ones and it's a matter of personal pref. That said, the Swype/stylus combo is fast.

Honestly, the combination of Swype and a stylus is conceptually similar to writing shorthand (Google it). It's just really, really fast. And, Swype does a good job learning your words and improving your dictionary. And, this recommendation isn't specific to the N7, either. You can do this on any android tab, I imagine. But, you asked about the N7, and it works brilliantly for me on mine. :)

Hope this helps!
Jack

Why does Evernote require an account (How many 'accounts' does a person need in life?)

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
So that you can sync.

Sync with what, cloud storage? How many notes would fit in a MB? I can see the need for cloud storage for HD video, but notes, not so much.

My real question is Why does Evernote REQUIRE an account?
I'm sure somehow it's for their benefit and not mine.

I did a search for Swype keyboard in the GP store and it didn't find an app called Swype.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It needs the account for cloud storage, yes, and to automatically sync with any other devices you might have. This way you can take a quick note on your phone and it's on your Nexus too or vice versa.

As etnpnys pointed out, Swype isn't in the Play Store. You have download the apk directly from their website.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
can see the need for cloud storage for HD video, but notes, not so much.
My real question is Why does Evernote REQUIRE an account?

I think the opposite is true for me. HD video, ehh--it's be faster to transfer from USB than to UL/DL, and most cloud storage sites have a data cap per file anyway. But for notes--if you're someone who uses multiple devices and/or NEEDS your notes to be secure and accessible from anywhere, having notes in the cloud is almost an imperative. My friend's entire apartment complex burned down last year, a couple weeks away from finals. Guess what? The only thing she had time to take out were her pets, so her laptop got destroyed. Lost all her notes for her exams.

If the device I use to take notes gets destroyed, stolen, or misplaced, it's a great comfort knowing that I could just log into Evernote from literally anywhere, and know that they're safe and sound :). The reason you make an account is because the whole point of Evernote is accessibility. It takes like.... a minute to make an account, and you only need to log in once. So the real question is, why not?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the opposite is true for me. HD video, ehh--it's be faster to transfer from USB than to UL/DL, and most cloud storage sites have a data cap per file anyway. But for notes--if you're someone who uses multiple devices and/or NEEDS your notes to be secure and accessible from anywhere, having notes in the cloud is almost an imperative. My friend's entire apartment complex burned down last year, a couple weeks away from finals. Guess what? The only thing she had time to take out were her pets, so her laptop got destroyed. Lost all her notes for her exams.

If the device I use to take notes gets destroyed, stolen, or misplaced, it's a great comfort knowing that I could just log into Evernote from literally anywhere, and know that they're safe and sound :). The reason you make an account is because the whole point of Evernote is accessibility. It takes like.... a minute to make an account, and you only need to log in once. So the real question is, why not?

I only have one word to answer - Spam.

quarky_uk

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I use Swype and Evernote. A fantastic combination which means I can take notes quick enough in a meeting to mean that I don't need to bother with my laptop. Both great apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tomnjerry

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend using an Infinity Binder with a galaxy tab 2 7.0. The lack of rear facing camera kept me from purchasing the nexus 7.
Furthermore, I prefer using google drive over evernote. But they are both useful.

scohn3

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got a nexus 7 as well, want to use it for the same purpose. Could someone tell me an app that either
1) has handwriting recognition that TURNS the handwriting into typed text
or
2) has a good keyboard set up to type landscape view on my tablet

Either way, I need to be able to export my notes from my tablet, onto my computer (i have a macbook pro) so i can edit them, make outlines etc. The problem is, is that I do not know how to export from a tablet.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! I'm still getting used to tablets and products that aren't apple, in general. THANKS!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got a nexus 7 as well, want to use it for the same purpose. Could someone tell me an app that either
1) has handwriting recognition that TURNS the handwriting into typed text
or
2) has a good keyboard set up to type landscape view on my tablet

Either way, I need to be able to export my notes from my tablet, onto my computer (i have a macbook pro) so i can edit them, make outlines etc. The problem is, is that I do not know how to export from a tablet.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! I'm still getting used to tablets and products that aren't apple, in general. THANKS!
7notes with mazec

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a real answer because I've been searching for a good handwriting recognition software too.

However, while I don't do this, a portable Bluetooth keyboard with evernote should solve your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
7notes with mazec

This app (7notes with mazec) is a keyboard replacement app that comes up anytime the keyboard appears.
You set it to be the default keyboard in the 'input' section of the 'settings' page.
You use a stylus to hand write in the box at the bottom and it converts your handwriting into text and puts it into whatever app you're using.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not looking so much for one to understand my handwriting, because I can certainly Swype faster than I can write, but I've been searching high and low for one that does good annotations on pictures and scribble drawings. Does that make sense? I think FreeNote is the closest, but it's still not easy to use. Jeez SNote would be perfect but requires the TouchWiz framework...

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The company that makes Evernote has another free program called Skitch with is designed for annotations of images. Just what you need.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The company that makes Evernote has another free program called Skitch with is designed for annotations of images. Just what you need.

Yeah I've used that also, and its CLOSE, but the integration between the two needs some work. It's confusing...

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
FYI, there's an awesome, crazy amazing app simply called "Memo" in the Play store. It 100% does everything that I am looking for. The problem? It doesn't work on the Nexus 7 right now (it works like a champ on my GS3). I don't know what the deal is, but it force closes frequently and you can't actually make any marks on the screen - it's like it doesn't recognize that you are touching the screen.

Let's go bug the developer and ask him to fix it!!

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have tried many handwriting recognition apps/keyboards and none of them are great and save time. I have tried with my finger and with a stylus and have the same results. IMO, the fastest way to input text on the tablet is on Swype.

For note taking, use Evernote for sure. You can attach documents and it syncs with your desktop to help formatting your notes. I use it for work and there is nothing better imo. I also use ezPDF Reader for notations of PDFs. Using the sticky notes to take notes on the PDF document works really well, as well as highlighting, circling, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad