Closing all tabs in Chrome

Phantom5691

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
it seems that the only way to do it is to start tapping on the tab furthest to the left. when you tap on other tabs, especially the one furthest to the right, new tabs are added more often than tabs are closed

DeborahT2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I just got the 2013 Nexus 7. When Chrome launches it opens 50 or more blank tabs. How can I keep this from happening, and close multiple tabs quickly?
Tried all of the above suggestions ... Thx.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got the 2013 Nexus 7. When Chrome launches it opens 50 or more blank tabs. How can I keep this from happening, and close multiple tabs quickly?
Tried all of the above suggestions ... Thx.

Welcome to Android Central! Did this happen from the start, or did you have an issue with accidentally opening a bunch of blank tabs while trying to close the previous tab? If you opened all of those tabs, Chrome remembers that, and so each time you open Chrome, it will open all of those tabs again.

Go to Settings/Apps/All, select Chrome, then Clear Cache, then Force Stop. Now open Chrome again. If the problem recurs, I wonder if there's some sort of malware on the device, in which case you should install a good antivirus app like Lookout and run a scan.

Posted via Android Central App

Bob Libby

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
This did not work. This is a brand new tablet. I ran AVG anti virus, which found nothing. After I cleared the Chrome cache , and touched forced stop. I went back to Chrome and ther are over 100 tabs open. Would installing the toolbar help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This did not work. This is a brand new tablet. I ran AVG anti virus, which found nothing. After I cleared the Chrome cache , and touched forced stop. I went back to Chrome and ther are over 100 tabs open. Would installing the toolbar help?

Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Apps>All​, selecting Chrome, and this time tapping Clear Data.

Carmine C

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
To close all tabs place finger on the X. on the last open tab on the top right side.Hold finger on X for 3 seconds there will be a pop up asking (Close all tabs) On some phones on top right hand of browser tab there will be a small icon with numbers inside indicating the number of tabs open. just place finger on icon and hold for 3 seconds.

Carmine C

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
To close all tabs place finger on the X. on the last open tab on the top right side.Hold finger on X for 3 seconds there will be a pop up asking (Close all tabs) On some phones on top right hand of browser tab there will be a small icon with numbers inside indicating the number of tabs open. just place finger on icon and hold for 3 seconds.

Carmine C

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
To close all tabs place finger on the X. on the last open tab on the top right side.Hold finger on X for 3 seconds there will be a pop up asking (Close all tabs) On some phones on top right hand of browser tab there will be a small icon with numbers inside indicating the number of tabs open.,just place finger on icon and hold for 3 seconds Then click on the top right of page the 3 vertical dots to close all tabs.

copernicus

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
This is an old thread but, since it comes up on top in Google Search, on Chrome for Android, just press and hold the "x" on any open tab and "Close All Tabs" will pop up under it. Hope it helps...

dmcritchie

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Don't know if it was available when question was posted. But someone called me today and it appeared that there was no context menu on the tabs in Android Chrome, but that is not entirely true.

In Chrome on Android to close all tabs, long press on the "x" on any tab, to get the "close all tabs".

I've seen a posting to close tabs by long pressing on the tabs count at the right, but I don't have that. In Windows desktop use Ctrl+Shift+W, or the tab context menu.
----
Looks like I selected a different version of question when I got past all the sign-in stuff and that this one did get answered. In other forums a correct answer would be marked by the original poster and appear immediately with the question. The second page did not come up originally on my Android and was delayed in Windows as well.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon