Nexus 7 and killing tasks

guyinwonder

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Apologies up front for this thread, I'm new but it seems that some who are hostile to this topic. I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.

Nexus 7, I downloaded and played a game, and long after I was finished (I had hit the home screen to exit out) I navigate to settings->battery, and I see the app there, sucking up 9% of the battery.

From the same battery screen, I tap the game icon and tap "Force Stop". Back to the battery screen, hit refresh a couple times and nope... the game is still there enjoying 9% of the battery.

Holding down the power button, I get the device to power off. Everything goes dark, I wait a couple more minutes, power it back on. After everything comes up again, I check the settings->battery and there it sits, still, that game draining 9%.

I've tried to run the game and do the back button several times. No matter what I try, I can't get that game to die.

So my thoughts are "app killer" but the consensus seems to be that Android doesn't need or want an app killer.

Is there no way to kill these things? This seems so simple to me but irritating and frustrating!!

My biggest question is what I'm missing. I'm new to mobile in general, and there is no File->Exit menu on anything. Is there a resource you can recommend that I might understand how this works? Am I expecting too much to be able to kill a program?

Thank you,
GuyInWonder

paengmoreno

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this one. I'm starting to think that the percentages shown are not the current power that the apps are using, but the percentage over the whole time the battery is being discharged.

I thought of this because after charging up to 100% and unplugging the charger without turning the screen on, the following day the tablet idle is showing 80%. So the longer the battery is discharged, the percentage of the supposedly closed app will go down as well (assuming that you don't open the app).

Not sure if that makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

darkazcura

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The percentage is the percentage it's used of the battery. Not what it is currently using. That 9% will drop as you use the device more. The battery counter resets every time you charge and unplug. When you force stopped it, you closed the app.

Now I haven't owned Android since my Nexus One with Gingerbread, but I keep up pretty well so if you want to close an app fully, touch the recent apps button in the bottom right corner..you'll have a visual of your open apps. Swipe away the app you want to fully close, and you should be good to go.

I'm not 100% sure if this stops the app from working in the background, but it should. Someone else here can answer that with 100% confidence.

Reactions: sandyvern

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the 9% is how much of the battery was used by the app while it was running. The longer you go before you charge the smaller the percentage will get.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol