Google Now Irritates

Labarum

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have searched for help on how to turn off Google Now. Done that, but I've not done enough.

My irritation is the upward swipe raising the Google Now screen when all I want is to scroll up the current screen. That still happens, but instead of Google Now intruding itself, I just get the Google search box.

Is there a way to switch off the upward swipe?

(Nice Tablet, though I remain unconvinced that I will be converted from my 11.5" laptop.)

realmeister

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Don't swipe all the way from the black bar at the bottom of the screen and scrolling just works fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jabsys

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
This was something that really pissed me off, I ended up disabling Google Search, you loose the search box at the top & the voice typing thing but at least it gets rid of the upswipe box.

Labarum

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Make you wonder if they did it deliberately, just to remind us all "This is a Google Box"; more probably its just one of those things that "seemed like a good idea at the time."

(Typed on my laptop, as I have to be really desperate to enter text on anything that does not have a proper keyboard.)

Labarum

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Ah, but must be an experienced touch scree user. I'm not.

I have played with my son's iPad as was not conviced the format was for me, but for ?160, I thought I'd have a go. After many hours I remain unconviced it's for me. We are all different.

I like them as eBook readers, and they work well reading content formatted for the small screen they are good. Android 4.1 will do lots of interesting things, but a touch screen for text entry? No. No. No.

I'm too old and too clumsy to learn new dexterity.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Just have to say this to the original poster: This is not, nor did Google intend it to be, a laptop replacement. Many make the mistake of thinking a tablet, any tablet, will replace a laptop. For a few it might, but for most others it won't.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you keep trying to make it do things your laptop does, or if you keep making comparisons. Just enjoy the tablet as a seperate entity.

Reactions: KitN

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just installed the apex launcher yesterday. That search for bar is now only a little more than half as wide as it was before and its it's over to the left.

I actually like that Google now it's kind of cool. Maybe if you give it a chance you might like it too. But in the meantime at least this would be a way to make it smaller where you might not have an issue swiping over it.

Labarum

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I did not for one moment think a tablet could be a laptop replacement, as I said, a small tablet is good for reading suitably formatted content. It controls my Squeezebox very nicely, and the smart trackpad app is quite nice, though I still prefer a mouse or a trackball. I've had a lot of fun in a few days for my ?160; but, given my lifestyle, I don't suppose the Nexus will be overused in the long term. I suspect when my wife discovers what it will do, her Sony eBook reader, which she uses a lot, might be quietly set aside.

My next laptop might easily be a Chromebook, but I will see what Windows 8 and Ultrabooks have to offer.

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Serious..who uses a laptop...With everything on Google Drive...and when you travel a lot Google Now is the perfect tool and gets better on each trip

Labarum

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Laptop? I hardly ever leave the browser, which is why a Chromebook might be good for me.

But it's a matter or ergonomics - the physical keyboard and the hinged case that allows me to set the screen at just the right angle is what makes the difference. I use the trackpad, or a mouse on the arm of the sofa.

Perfect slob-posture surfing.

Surfing on the move I rarely do, and if I do I'm reclining in a hotel bed.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Google Now is a great idea. I just wish I could activate by voice, without having to initially swipe up. It would be awesome to use Google Now from a distance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You guys do realize you have to initiate the swipe beneath the viewable portion screen, on the Nav bar, in order to open Google Now, right? Just swipe up from anywhere above the Nav bar, and it'll never open Now. Why would you be swiping up from that far down to begin with?

Reactions: credo

Labarum

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Just what I need. I was thinking the upswipe might actually be tolerable if it launched something I actually wanted.

I will try this. Maybe it can be configured to launch nothing.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually like Google Now and can't wait for it to be enhanced further. I also hope Google will patent the methods it is using.

I had a doctors appointment today which was marked in my calendar with location.
About 1 hour before the appointment there was a card for it. Giving me a small map to the location and the travel time. It also showed a navigation tab which when selected brought up the recommended transit route(train) along with schedules.

I want more of this kinda stuff from Google Now.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Google Now seems like it would be a lot better with always-on data. I sort of want to see it come to my Razr, but I think it will need an OS upgrade for that. Jelly Bean would be cool :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay