hey guys

i put a bunch of AVI movies on my nexus 7 to watch with MX player, but having a problem since a few of them won't play.

wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if there is a solution

thanks!!!!
    08-05-2012 01:20 PM
    to play .avi on your mx player you MUST use S/W or S/W fast.

If you want to play avi file using H/W you can try DICE player
    Divyadeep Arora likes this.
    08-05-2012 01:26 PM
    whats s/w and s/w fast??
    08-05-2012 01:27 PM
    Had the same issue. I downloaded DICE player and all is well. Big difference is that MXPlayer uses software decoding, and Dice uses the native hardware to do the decoding. I found that lipsync was fixed completely using Dice as compared to MX Player.

Nothing against MX Player, that's been my player of choice for a long time, but facts is facts, Dice player just works better, and consumes less battery.
    08-06-2012 11:55 PM
    Moboplayer by Mobo Team was just updated for the Nexus 7.
    Check it out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-07-2012 01:08 AM
    I have the same problem with MX Player and successfully used BSPlayer after a co-worker's recommendation. What's strange is that the exact same videos play just fine with MX Player using HW on my Atrix 4G with Tegra 2. Still haven't found one player that will play everything I've got, including old 3GP videos from my old phones. I'll give Mobo and Dice a shot.
    08-07-2012 02:49 AM
    Thanks for all the friendly help!
    I always used fx player all the time until some .avi files didn't play.
    Tried mobo player with the same results.

Read this forum and tried dice player and the files that didn't play on mobo & fx worked on dice.

Thanks again!

And it pretty much has the same on screen layout as mobo & fx
    09-12-2012 09:33 AM
    I downloaded VLC (my favorite desktop player) after finding the .apk online. They try to restrict the release of the app in the U.S. But, if you search for it, the .apk is easy to find. Plays whatever I throw at it.
    AstronomerXI likes this.
    09-13-2012 09:15 PM
    I've also had the same problem, and I've read about Dice Player. Just downloaded it and it plays all my .avi files.
    12-01-2012 11:28 AM
    Another vote for Dice Player. It also seems that it scales automatically. MX I have to toggle the fit.
    12-01-2012 01:07 PM
    What quality are your AVI files? Nexus 7 can play video up to 1280*800 resolution. Besides, the fram rate-24fps is the best
    12-25-2012 07:59 PM
    I had an issue where the sound played but not the video

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    12-25-2012 08:09 PM
    Are you using a video player, like MX? I heard it doesn't work well with HD AVI, MKV, ect format.
    12-25-2012 08:12 PM
    I have many 720p or 1080p MKV, AVI videos. I used the MX player to play these files on my Nexus 10, but it has no sound. Now, I am using a Video Converer to change the .mkv and .avi to H.264 MP4 and transfer them to N10 for watching. The tool works fast and keeps the HD quality, but I want to get a excellent Video Player for my N10 for playing 1080p MKV and AVI movies without any conversion. I hope the player can works well with MKV and AVI.
    12-28-2012 11:14 AM
    Seems not easy to play AVI on Nexus 7 directly. Although, I have MX Player/Dice installed, but having a problem since a few of AVI files wont play. I searched widely try to find the solution. How to import and play AVI movie files on Nexus 7 is the solution I've found and tried, which helped me resolve the AVI to Nexus 7 issues.
    there are plenty of very capable free converter programs out there so there is no need to pay for one. A common issue with downloaded AVI files is file corruption or errors during encoding. A converter program may or may NOT fix these kinds of issues with the source file.

Best Free Audio-Video Format Conversion Program
    01-03-2013 02:03 PM
    Thanks for your idea, but I've tried it and succefully playing my AVIs on Nexus 7 after the converting. By the way, that program I've tried is also the best assitant to format the container format MKV in 1080p for my N7.
    01-03-2013 07:53 PM
    Thanks for your idea, but I've tried it and succefully playing my AVIs on Nexus 7 after the converting. By the way, that program I've tried is also the best assitant to format the container format MKV in 1080p for my N7.
    LOL hey, whatever floats you boat. It was not my idea pal, I just posted the link to other peoples idea. I play just about every format there is and never had a problem on the N7 using MXplayer or BSplayer. However, downloaded AVIs with damaged or missing indexes are very common and too often do not convert or repair PERIOD. These never make it onto my N7 but just go into the trash bin after download.
    01-04-2013 03:08 AM
    LOL hey, whatever floats you boat. It was not my idea pal, I just posted the link to other peoples idea. I play just about every format there is and never had a problem on the N7 using MXplayer or BSplayer. However, downloaded AVIs with damaged or missing indexes are very common and too often do not convert or repair PERIOD. These never make it onto my N7 but just go into the trash bin after download.
    I see what you mean, but I've still downloaded the VLC player, that cannot play my AVI files. That's what I got. The "real" full hd video files cannot be supported well by these players or mybe due to the N7 processor, so the best choice would be reformat the video files to N7 natively supported one like MP4 video and besides, to downsize the video size, bitrate to fit the N7 and get a smooth playback on it. No froze or stutter.
    01-06-2013 07:55 PM
    1080p24 being what it is, @ 19201080 w 24 frames per sec, is not an especially stressful task for a N7 but is obviously overkill for it's 1280800 display resolution. The real overkill comes with the 7.1 or 5.1 sound tracks being output thru the N7 tiny crap stereo speakers or headphones (better). So conversion is one choice to deal with the square peg into the round hole. Conversion is always a tradeoff between quality and file size however, there is no real reason to downsize all of your pre-existing media other than to save storage space on the N7. If you use virtually unlimited external or streamed media, there is no reason at all to pre-convert media you already have. Using 32 GB microusbSD flash readers @ $20 each obviously negates any pressing need to conserve space in any serious way.

I regularly play HD 5.1 sound .avi, .mp4. .mkv and .m4v files already prepared for my home theater system to my N7 without playback issues with MXplayer. So there it is. One can always use TVersity, Plex, or other media servers that can convert on the fly if you like by simply changing the software settings should you encounter a playback issue with a particular file.

VLC player for android is still in beta mode as far as I know, so perhaps it would be best to use something else until the bugs are worked out.
    01-06-2013 09:31 PM
    Dice player worked for me avi works perfectly on my nexus 10.
    04-20-2013 11:54 PM
    DUDE, you're a lifesafer. I was having INSANE scratchy sound problems with winamp / vlc playback, never heard of dice..

ITS WAY better! completely fixed and you can resize the window to play picture in picture while you do other tasks, soooooo good! Now to find one for my songs! Thanks
    07-01-2013 07:33 AM
    that's gr8. Once again, what seems to be an issue few minutes ago, has been resolved soooooooo easily. I can't thank enough the regulator of this forum and the people who share their experiences. Needless to say, I faced exactly same issue about not playing .avi movie files in MX Player, but I read the advice of u all, installed the dice player and the movies are playing on my nexus7. It is being a gr8 device and I am loving it !!!
    10-17-2013 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD